+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

ChesterR

Jan 30, 2023
Hi all,

I applied to sponsor my Mexican wife for PR. She has met eligibility requirements and the Inland APR Eligibility Decision Letter says she can now apply for the Open Work Permit. We uploaded all the documents, but it requires a payment of $255. When we applied for PR online in November, it asked us then if we wanted to apply and pay for an OWP. We said yes and paid $1420 (PR stuff, biometrics, and $255 for OWP stuff). In the OWP page of CIC, it's asking for $255. There's no way to upload the receipt we got in November 2022 in the payment section. (We can attach it in the Client Information section, but it changes nothing.) Will IRCC refund us $255 from the original payment we sent in November? Does anyone know how to get this refund or has anyone experienced a similar situation?
Thanks so much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I applied to sponsor my Mexican wife for PR. She has met eligibility requirements and the Inland APR Eligibility Decision Letter says she can now apply for the Open Work Permit. We uploaded all the documents, but it requires a payment of $255. When we applied for PR online in November, it asked us then if we wanted to apply and pay for an OWP. We said yes and paid $1420 (PR stuff, biometrics, and $255 for OWP stuff). In the OWP page of CIC, it's asking for $255. There's no way to upload the receipt we got in November 2022 in the payment section. (We can attach it in the Client Information section, but it changes nothing.) Will IRCC refund us $255 from the original payment we sent in November? Does anyone know how to get this refund or has anyone experienced a similar situation?
Thanks so much!
I can't tell you what to do, but the track record of applicants getting amounts overpaid is very good (IRCC does return monies eventually).

So some applicants find it easier / preferable to pay again, and then ask for the amounts overpaid back later, rather than trying to get them to recognize the glitch.

Since it's for the OPW and its value is time-limited, that approach makes sense to me.

Karan071091

Star Member
Dec 7, 2022
I applied spousal application and got email that you met the all requirements and will forwarded your application to New Delhi.what that means

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
About ready to send in a PR app for SIL and I know he needs a police check from here but does he still need one from India? He's been residing here in Canada since summer 2018.

akeme1

Oct 6, 2022
I am planning to sponsor my husband and need assistance.

Please what other documents can I use to support proof of the relationship?

We have Marriage Certificate and photos only

Thank you

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
I'm about to file an inland spousal PR application for my soon to be husband after marriage, he has been in Canada for 1.5 years now on a Closed WP. Any idea what are the typical processing timelines nowadays? IRCC website timelines have been grossly inaccurate for other categories so assuming that inland spousal PR timelines are also not right. We have a critical overseas travel later this year which cannot be delayed if he gets stuck waiting for PR Card. Hoping for better clarity from this group!

whozarm

Star Member
Oct 16, 2022
I'm about to file an inland spousal PR application for my soon to be husband after marriage, he has been in Canada for 1.5 years now on a Closed WP. Any idea what are the typical processing timelines nowadays? IRCC website timelines have been grossly inaccurate for other categories so assuming that inland spousal PR timelines are also not right. We have a critical overseas travel later this year which cannot be delayed if he gets stuck waiting for PR Card. Hoping for better clarity from this group!
I have a link in my signature that links to the forum spousal application tracking spreadsheet, should give you a good idea with length of time it’s taking.

Reactions: sonusweetie

whozarm

Star Member
Oct 16, 2022
I am planning to sponsor my husband and need assistance.

Please what other documents can I use to support proof of the relationship?

We have Marriage Certificate and photos only

Thank you
Please review the document checklist for spousal application (IMM5533), it lists items that are required as well as suggestions to use.

lenuxii

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
Lately it's been around 6-8 months from the timelines I've seen of course it's different for everyone some get their PR before the 6th month mark some go over close to the processing posted by IRCC, it's different case by case.

Reactions: sonusweetie

iamkran

Star Member
Oct 6, 2015
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
App. Filed.......
22-05-2018
Nomination.....
26-04-2018
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
22-10-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
No need
Passport Req..
Upront with application
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-12-2015
Changes in your wife's passport are not needed. Marriage certificate should be enough for that.
For proof of relationship, Please follow checklist thoroughly and if you have any specific questions then please ask them.
like, let's say you have question on what kind of photos should be attached,
then try to show all the timeline. We attached every photos of these different occasions
1. Roka
2. Haldi
3. Marriage
4. reception
5. Other than marriage and reception, visit to extended family home
6. airport (when spouse was leaving)
7. pictures of wife with in-laws when husband was away (Diwali, lohri, birthday celebration at home etc)
Great. Thank you for the information.

ashvez

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
I have submitted an Outland sponsorship for my spouse.
Application- Online
Submitted 26th Jan 2023
AOR- yet to receive

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Submitting PR app for someone, is there any time where a police clearance from home country is not necessary? Like maybe if they have lived in Canada for a certain period of time? He's been here since 2018.