+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

savinca

Sep 18, 2012
guys! a quick question:

in Sponsor's document checklist, item 14: "Photocopy of your marriage certificate, if you have a co-signer and he/she is your spouse"

As a sponsor sponsoring spouse overseas, and we got married overseas, does the sponsor need to submit marriage certificate? (No co-signer, since it's the spouse)

our marriage certificate are the same, one with wife's name (holder) on top, one with husband's name (holder) on top, each person holds a copy

my spouse will submit the copy, do I (sponsor) need to submit my copy? ::) ??? :'(

Shaw

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2013
AOR Received.
07-01-2014
File Transfer...
11-01-2014
Med's Done....
1st : 12-10-2013, re-medical : Aug 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 28,2014 and PP reached at SVO on Aug 28
VISA ISSUED...
7 oct 2014, Visa reached at VFS: 13 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
June, 2015
savinca said:
guys! a quick question:

in Sponsor's document checklist, item 14: "Photocopy of your marriage certificate, if you have a co-signer and he/she is your spouse"

As a sponsor sponsoring spouse overseas, and we got married overseas, does the sponsor need to submit marriage certificate? (No co-signer, since it's the spouse)

our marriage certificate are the same, one with wife's name (holder) on top, one with husband's name (holder) on top, each person holds a copy

my spouse will submit the copy, do I (sponsor) need to submit my copy? ::) ??? :'(
No

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
Shaw said:
I got married but I sent photocopy of my marriage certificate.Will it be hamper my application?I have one question please answer me anybody- 1st AOR issue after 33 days or within 33 days?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dreamtocanada_uk said:
I got married but I sent photocopy of my marriage certificate.Will it be hamper my application?I have one question please answer me anybody- 1st AOR issue after 33 days or within 33 days?
Unless your "region specific instructions" state that it MUST be an original, a photocopy is acceptable. However, the normal rules on translations still apply... Some regions will only accept original documents due to a history of fraud or the ability to produce fake documents.

Macchiato

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks for making that clear - I will be returning to Canada in April to live with my partner so I guess I will have to get a tourist visa for 6 months and try to extend it to 12 months to get common-law status....and go from there - thankyou for the info....

zardoz said:
No. This is not enough to conform to the definition of Common-Law. Given the information provided by Macchiato, they do not have the ability to claim that status. It has to be 12 continuous months...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Macchiato said:
Thanks for making that clear - I will be returning to Canada in April to live with my partner so I guess I will have to get a tourist visa for 6 months and try to extend it to 12 months to get common-law status....and go from there - thankyou for the info....
You're welcome.. This is a common misunderstanding and I'm glad we were able to assist before it became a problem.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dreamtocanada_uk said:
If the marriage cert was in some other language other than english or french, then you must submit a certified photocopy along with official translation.

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
Rob_TO said:
If the marriage cert was in some other language other than english or french, then you must submit a certified photocopy along with official translation.
. Thanks I got English copy of marriage certificate so I sent photocopy.

ipanda

Feb 20, 2014
Rob_TO said:
These days ALL US resident applications are processed initially at CPP-Ottawa, with any potential interview being done in your nearest US visa office. Current times people are seeing in CPP-Ottawa, is in the 8-10 month range.

However even if you request Ottawa, CIC may decide to send your application based on your citizenship, meaning they would send it to be processed in Beijing or HK. If this happened, any potential interview would be in China.

So you should probably request CPP-Ottawa as your desired office, and include a cover letter explaining your current status in USA and that you want any potential interview also in USA (unless you prefer China processing, in which case request Beijing or HK).

Just know that the final choice is entirely up to CPC-Mississauga.
THANKS Rob_TO, so after I mail the package to Missisauga, it will then be processed at Ottawa first, then either two of the below might happen?
1.application sent to my country of citizenship (Beijing or HK),
2.or stay at Ottawa (if I request it?)

How does one request Ottawa as the desired office, is it someone in the application form?

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ipanda said:
THANKS Rob_TO, so after I mail the package to Missisauga, it will then be processed at Ottawa first, then either two of the below might happen?
1.application sent to my country of citizenship (Beijing or HK),
2.or stay at Ottawa (if I request it?)

How does one request Ottawa as the desired office, is it someone in the application form?
Not quite. If CIC decides your app will be processed in China, it will be sent directly to China from CPC-Mississauga, and Ottawa won't even be involved.

If it goes to CPP-Ottawa, then that's where it will stay for processing (unless an interview is required, in which case it may be transferred to local USA office).

There is a question on one of the outland forms asking which office you want for processing. And as I mentioned, it's good to include a cover letter stating the reasons you want or are eligible for a particular office since CPC-M has the final choice.

savinca

Sep 18, 2012
so CPP-M has the final word about which office the stage2 will be processed? even though I selected a oversea office in my country?

for the marriage certificate, sponsor don't need to send it in if no co-signer? only sponsored spouse needs to send it in the translated and certified copy?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
savinca said:
so CPP-M has the final word about which office the stage2 will be processed? even though I selected a oversea office in my country?
Right. Hopefully they follow the office you choose, but in the end they can send wherever they see fit.

for the marriage certificate, sponsor don't need to send it in if no co-signer? only sponsored spouse needs to send it in the translated and certified copy?
Seeing as both sponsor and applicant send in 1 complete package to CPC-M, all that matters is 1 marriage cert is sent in with the package. You don't need to duplicate any documents.

Jan69

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks for your reply Scylla....
My wife's passport is being held by CIC since July 2012....i just find it like a "dead end"....if i request her passport back-then they may have additional reason to delay the application. Moreover you said- not sure if it gets approved but i assume-as long as she meets all the requirements for a visitors visa- it may get approved isn't it?; besides too, she was here in canada before as a visitor.

skystride

Feb 21, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've read a couple of thread on the topic of Inland vs Outland but I am still confused as to which would be best for my current situation. I would appreciate any advice. This is where I'm at:

I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm marrying a US citizen in March. She wants to live and work in Toronto. Currently she has a job in NYC. Based on what I read so far on this forum, I thought Outland was the obvious choice but then I looked at wait times in NYC and it was 22 months. What do you guys think?

I am also wondering if I can take advantage of "Brain Gain" pilot project in Ontario that states:
Spouses, common-law partners and working-age dependants (aged 18 to 22) of Canadian citizens and permanent residents who return to work in Ontario in an academic or health care career can get an open work permit.
(She is a Nurse Practitioner)

Our priority is to get her to Toronto and working, the quicker the better. If Inland app means trouble going to USA, that might pose a problem as we are doing a reception in US (August) and she has a lot of family there.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!