+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Nina884

Feb 16, 2014
Hi there,

I am a Canadian Citizen living in Cairo, Egypt and married to an Egyptian citizen. I booked our tickets to visit Canada on the 1st of May 2014 for 2 weeks to visit my parents and I still haven't sponsored my husband or gone through any paperwork. I was wondering if it would be possible for him to apply to a temporary visitor visa? and if yes what are the chances of him getting accepted? He currently works as a dentist here in Cairo and there is no chance for him to stay longer in Canada than the 2 weeks of the visit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nina884 said:
Hi there,

I am a Canadian Citizen living in Cairo, Egypt and married to an Egyptian citizen. I booked our tickets to visit Canada on the 1st of May 2014 for 2 weeks to visit my parents and I still haven't sponsored my husband or gone through any paperwork. I was wondering if it would be possible for him to apply to a temporary visitor visa? and if yes what are the chances of him getting accepted? He currently works as a dentist here in Cairo and there is no chance for him to stay longer in Canada than the 2 weeks of the visit.
Yes - he can certainly apply for a TRV. It tends to be difficult to be approved if you have a spouse who is a Canadian citizen. When he applies, he should provide as much evidence as he can that he has strong ties to Egypt and will only visit Canada for a short period of time.

quebecnewhusband

Feb 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
28-10-2014
Fireblade said:
She should come as a visitor with a return ticket. She should also not have made up her mind about applying for PR. She should be only considering and that should be the truth. As far as you and her are concerned, she will come for a visit, and get back on the plane with that return ticket.

Now, if during her stay in Canada you two decide to apply for PR for her, that's another story, a future possibility, and a right that you have once she is here. Until you decide that, though (and you will only decide that once she's here), the actual truth and fact should be that she is coming for a visit.

I realize you may have your minds made up, but, to be fair and truthful to Canada Immigration and to yourselves, you cannot enter Canada as a tourist while declaring a different intent (as far as I know).

So, don't lie. Have your wife visit with a return ticket. Once she's here, spent some time together, explore Canada and what living here together is and would be like, think things through very well, and only then make such a big decision. She may not be able to stand the harsh winter anyway and may need that return ticket :) If you two do decide that Canada is where you'd want your future to be, decide that after she's here, and apply inland :)
Thank you for this advice. Easier said than done, though. In reality, even if she will have to pretend that she's just visiting, her mind will be set once she travels to Canada. Since she will apply from inland and won't be allowed to go back to Thailand for 15-16 months, it will require preparation and important decisions like quitting her job, ending her lease and sending her belongings by boat to Canada.

And could those 3 decisions make her entry to Canada more difficult? I mean : she has a valid multi-entry visitor visa and she would have a return ticket to show up. Is it enough? Could they find out that she quitted her job?

Her arrival to Canada would be a great deal of stress because of these uncertainties. If they dont let her in, she would suddenly be jobless, homeless and her whole immigration process would fail.

Anyone can reassure us?

CanucksFan

Star Member
Dec 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2012
Doc's Request.
25-11-2013
AOR Received.
12-06-2012
File Transfer...
23-05-2012
Med's Request
25-11-2013 2nd Medical
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 2nd Medical Redone
Interview........
19-11-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-04-2014
LANDED..........
19-04-2014
CanucksFan said:
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knew what is the normal waiting time(Vienna Visa Office) after the completed interview, 2nd medical, and updated Schedule A form had been sent?

We had the interview on Nov 19th 2013, request for 2nd medical on Nov 25th 2013, completed 2nd medical on Nov 26th 2013, and sent the doc on Nov 28th 2013- AND WE ARE STILL WAITING. (not to mention that we applied 2 YEARS AGO, Feb 22nd.).

Is it normal to wait this long after the 2nd medical?
Any similar experiences? Help? Please?
toutesweet said:
What does your ecas say? Have you applied for your file notes? Perhaps it's time to get your MP involved. It seems like an awfully long time to wait. Email your MP and tell them the situation perhaps they can find out what's going on
Thank you toutesweet.
Ecas only has the update that the interview was scheduled for Nov 19th, nothing about medicals.

We sent the email to Vienna Visa Office and explained that at the interview on Nov 19th the Visa officer told my husband that as soon as he completed the medical he'd be able to go, even said "you'll be home for holidays", and to that email they replied with:
"Please be informed that we have not received all background check results. You will be informed about the further steps AFTER we have received all background check results; "
We don't understand, we've been packed up since the medical and waiting.
The notes were ordered on Jan 28th, so we should have them in 4 days. Not much help from MP.
What should we do? Please help. They can't leave us waiting forever without letting us know what is going on.

Fireblade

Nov 9, 2012
quebecnewhusband said:
Thank you for this advice. Easier said than done, though. In reality, even if she will have to pretend that she's just visiting, her mind will be set once she travels to Canada. Since she will apply from inland and won't be allowed to go back to Thailand for 15-16 months, it will require preparation and important decisions like quitting her job, ending her lease and sending her belongings by boat to Canada.

And could those 3 decisions make her entry to Canada more difficult? I mean : she has a valid multi-entry visitor visa and she would have a return ticket to show up. Is it enough? Could they find out that she quitted her job?

Her arrival to Canada would be a great deal of stress because of these uncertainties. If they dont let her in, she would suddenly be jobless, homeless and her whole immigration process would fail.

Anyone can reassure us?
Your worries are completely understandable. I just went through what you will soon. My wife came here a couple of weeks ago, and instead of it being a happy day of reunion, I was a nervous wreck at the airport. Days before, and even at the airport, I was worried sick with thoughts like "what if she's refused entry?", "what if they interrogate her and tell her they don't believe she's only visiting?', "what if they tell her she's lying and going to defraud Canada?", "what if they don't let her in and put her on a return flight? I'll be devastated! Our lives will be ruined" :'(

You know what, though? She breezed through Customs and immigration, they didn't ask her a single thing, they didn't even inspect suitcases, much less interrogate her. So, while your worries are understandable, they're extreme :)

Immigration Canada and the CBSA are staffed by good people. In the end, these people are also family people and they're not out there to destroy families and couples for no good reason. They're reasonable and humane with their heart in the right place. What you should understand is that they have a job to do, and that travelers that try to enter Canada shouldn't make their job difficult.

Will your wife be coming to visit as a tourist, declaring (if asked) that she intends to leave Canada with her return ticket? Yes.
Do the agents know that chances are she will stay and apply inland? Yes, they know the statistics and are not stupid.
BUT, as long as you give them the benefit of doubt, "My intention is to visit. Have I considered staying? (if asked) Sure, but it's only a possibility, not a certainty," as long as you can honestly tell them that (and as I previously said, it should be the honest truth because nothing in life is certain and such a decision should be finalized here), you will keep their job easy. They will appreciate it and be able to justify letting her in. They will appreciate her, for her honesty, for keeping their job easy, and for being smart about it all.

So, keep a possibility of return in your minds, even if it seemed unlikely and unpleasant until now. That possibility will enable immigration officers to allow entry. If her responses to any questions are reassuring and not worrying ("I'm only visiting, I have family back home I stay with, etc etc"), there won't be a problem.

Above all, don't worry! You will pick her up from the airport, go back to your place together and you'll be the happiest guy in Canada that day :)

visa_help2014

Feb 24, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've read a couple of thread on the topic of Inland vs Outland but I am still confused as to which would be best for my current situation. I would appreciate any advice. This is where I'm at:

I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident. I'm marrying a Indian citizen in August. She wants to live in Toronto. Currently she has a job in India. but She is also applying for her study visa for University of Toronto for the course which is going to start in January 2015.

So please suggest what should I do? Shall I file the application in India ? or shall I let her come here on study permit and then apply PR here in Canada?

Thanks,

quebecnewhusband

Feb 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
28-10-2014
Fireblade said:
Your worries are completely understandable. I just went through what you will soon. My wife came here a couple of weeks ago, and instead of it being a happy day of reunion, I was a nervous wreck at the airport. Days before, and even at the airport, I was worried sick with thoughts like "what if she's refused entry?", "what if they interrogate her and tell her they don't believe she's only visiting?', "what if they tell her she's lying and going to defraud Canada?", "what if they don't let her in and put her on a return flight? I'll be devastated! Our lives will be ruined" :'(

You know what, though? She breezed through Customs and immigration, they didn't ask her a single thing, they didn't even inspect suitcases, much less interrogate her. So, while your worries are understandable, they're extreme :)

Immigration Canada and the CBSA are staffed by good people. In the end, these people are also family people and they're not out there to destroy families and couples for no good reason. They're reasonable and humane with their heart in the right place. What you should understand is that they have a job to do, and that travelers that try to enter Canada shouldn't make their job difficult.

Will your wife be coming to visit as a tourist, declaring (if asked) that she intends to leave Canada with her return ticket? Yes.
Do the agents know that chances are she will stay and apply inland? Yes, they know the statistics and are not stupid.
BUT, as long as you give them the benefit of doubt, "My intention is to visit. Have I considered staying? (if asked) Sure, but it's only a possibility, not a certainty," as long as you can honestly tell them that (and as I previously said, it should be the honest truth because nothing in life is certain and such a decision should be finalized here), you will keep their job easy. They will appreciate it and be able to justify letting her in. They will appreciate her, for her honesty, for keeping their job easy, and for being smart about it all.

So, keep a possibility of return in your minds, even if it seemed unlikely and unpleasant until now. That possibility will enable immigration officers to allow entry. If her responses to any questions are reassuring and not worrying ("I'm only visiting, I have family back home I stay with, etc etc"), there won't be a problem.

Above all, don't worry! You will pick her up from the airport, go back to your place together and you'll be the happiest guy in Canada that day :)
Now that's the kind of encouragement I was wishing for! I've just forwarded your message to my soon to be wife. ;) I'm happy that it went well for you and your wife. But since my wife if from Thailand, I wonder if more questions could be asked to her. She already came to Canada once as a visitor and everything went well at the customs. But still, I believe risks are higher for someone coming from Thailand because too many fake marriage are happening here.

I hope to read more stories like yours here! And if anyone has been through the opposite scenario (future spouse blocked at the airport and sent back in her country) or has ever heard of such a story, please share with us too! ;)

pzbond

Jan 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
13-05-2013
File Transfer...
06-05-2013
Med's Request
10-02-2014
Med's Done....
22-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-02-2014 Ecas to In-Process same day, Decision Made 2-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-4-2104, Recieved via Registered Post 5-5-2014
LANDED..........
12-07-14
quebecnewhusband said:
Now that's the kind of encouragement I was wishing for! I've just forwarded your message to my soon to be wife. ;) I'm happy that it went well for you and your wife. But since my wife if from Thailand, I wonder if more questions could be asked to her. She already came to Canada once as a visitor and everything went well at the customs. But still, I believe risks are higher for someone coming from Thailand because too many fake marriage are happening here.
Before she comes it is also good that you go thorugh her packing list and the process of her arriving. Try thinking from the perspective of the CBSA officer, like what has been replied to you, make their job easy, don't lie and your wife will be fine. The reason why most people get stopped at immigration for a variety of reasons are due to red flags that are observed. Here are some examples:

+ Nervousness, inability to focus or concentrate when speaking to an immigration officer.
+ Carrying unusually large amounts or sizes of items. (Large items like furniture, appliances and huge amounts usually means moving)
+ Unable to answer simple questions (Eg. What is your purpose of visit? What do you do back home? When do you plan to return home?) Showing extreme nervousness and duress when questions like these are asked is an immediate invitation to perform a check on the belongings.
+ Other questions include Who are you meeting here? How do you know him or her? Why are you visiting him or her? Where will you stay? Do you plan to reside or enter Canada illegally? (It is when questions like these are asked that your wife should not flinch.)
+ Discovering lots of family photographs, farewell cards, large amounts of cash. Personal documents such as birth certificates, CVs, employment testimonials or medical records. (Basically things people will not bring when "Visiting")
+ Many more.....

Remember, if your wife is entering Canada legally and she is not commiting any crime then there should be nothing to be nervous or afraid of. CBSA officers are there to keep Canadians safe and soon one day she will become a Canadian too and she can be proud that there are a good bunch of people who are dedicated and committed in ensuring her safety and the economic viability of the very country that she has worked and gone through so hard to come to. Hope this helps...

quebecnewhusband

Feb 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
28-10-2014
pzbond said:
Before she comes it is also good that you go thorugh her packing list and the process of her arriving. Try thinking from the perspective of the CBSA officer, like what has been replied to you, make their job easy, don't lie and your wife will be fine. The reason why most people get stopped at immigration for a variety of reasons are due to red flags that are observed. Here are some examples:

+ Nervousness, inability to focus or concentrate when speaking to an immigration officer.
+ Carrying unusually large amounts or sizes of items. (Large items like furniture, appliances and huge amounts usually means moving)
+ Unable to answer simple questions (Eg. What is your purpose of visit? What do you do back home? When do you plan to return home?) Showing extreme nervousness and duress when questions like these are asked is an immediate invitation to perform a check on the belongings.
+ Other questions include Who are you meeting here? How do you know him or her? Why are you visiting him or her? Where will you stay? Do you plan to reside or enter Canada illegally? (It is when questions like these are asked that your wife should not flinch.)
+ Discovering lots of family photographs, farewell cards, large amounts of cash. Personal documents such as birth certificates, CVs, employment testimonials or medical records. (Basically things people will not bring when "Visiting")
+ Many more.....

Remember, if your wife is entering Canada legally and she is not commiting any crime then there should be nothing to be nervous or afraid of. CBSA officers are there to keep Canadians safe and soon one day she will become a Canadian too and she can be proud that there are a good bunch of people who are dedicated and committed in ensuring her safety and the economic viability of the very country that she has worked and gone through so hard to come to. Hope this helps...
Very useful comments, thank you.

Since we will be travelling back together, then I think it's a good idea for me to carry the documents that will be needed for PR or other objects that can show she's in Canada for more than just a visit. Also, I suppose it's a good idea not to show up together at the customs, right?

Please people, continue to post your story about your spouse arrival to the airport, before applying from inland for PR. If I don't hear about anyone who's been blocked at the airport with a visitor visa, then I will assume it's a good sign!

ayoubhouda

Feb 25, 2014
hello,

am sponsoring my husband from tunisia. i live in toronto and so will my husband.
we sent our application in november and its has been aproved and they send us feeds back saying that they have sent our folder to immigration office in paris and thay they are prossessing it and that they have recived the medical exams that he did.
am wondering what is goint to happen next?? and how long is it going to be till they tell us anything eles??
will my husband hve to go to paris to get his passport stamped

can any one help please

thank you

maronvomra

Star Member
Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
SVO received PP 17-Mar-2014, DM on Apr-12, 2014
I need to send an update to the visa office in Singapore that my wife got the CSQ by attaching it just in case they didn't receive it.
What is the email address for that?

Under Singapore office I found this below: which one should I use?
Enquiries General: Singapore-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca
Case specific: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=singapore

Thanks

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Well our entire Inland package was returned to us with a letter asking for another $355.00 citing some increase in OWP fee from $150.00 to $155.00 and a $200 fee for restoration of temp status in Canada plus we supposedly didn't complete the IMM5285. Also told us to send it to Mississauga and not Veg. where we first sent it in Jan. They didn't refund us, only told us to add the $355.00 and do the IMM5285 and send back within 90 days.

Odd thing is I paid the OWP $150.00 originally so I think they are making an error when asking for full $150, but will send anyway!

IMM5285 threw me, I sent in everything on the checklist I saw, but is filled out and ready to go!

Shaw

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2013
AOR Received.
07-01-2014
File Transfer...
11-01-2014
Med's Done....
1st : 12-10-2013, re-medical : Aug 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 28,2014 and PP reached at SVO on Aug 28
VISA ISSUED...
7 oct 2014, Visa reached at VFS: 13 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
June, 2015
maronvomra said:
I need to send an update to the visa office in Singapore that my wife got the CSQ by attaching it just in case they didn't receive it.
What is the email address for that?

Under Singapore office I found this below: which one should I use?
Enquiries General: Singapore-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca
Case specific: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=singapore

Thanks
Yes in our SA letter CIC mentioned the following email address of SVO to contact :

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=singapore

What is the email address CIC mentioned in your SA to contact SVO ?

Also put both email address in address bar and check both are same or not.

Also sent CSQ in both the address, correct one will get it at least.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
awtul2012 said:
how long does it take to get paper work for medical ?
You just get a "receipt" so to speak, the doctor's office sends off the paperwork to the VO.

shwnpntt

Feb 25, 2014
I am getting ready to send in my spousal sponsorship for my wife who is in the philippines. In the last section of my checklist is a repeat of 5 things on my wife's checklist, including an original of her police clearance and original of her medical examination.

My question is do I need to send an original with my package within Canada and an original within her package in the philippines? Or is my checklist just pointing out that these things must be submitted with her package? The 5 things fall under the heading "Sponsored person and family members" and says to reference the document list in the immigration guide (her checklist).

Thank you to anyone who can clarify this for me. I concerned I now have to send her back to get second originals as it did not occur to us at first. Then I would have to wait for her to mail it to me.