+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

maverick27

Nov 24, 2013
Hi All,

I had posted few questions earlier in the day. Experts can you please help me out with the answers.

I am an Indian working in Kuwait and my fiance is a PR in Canada. We will be marrying in December this year. I have started collecting information on the spouse sponsorship and would like the experts here to clarify some of my questions:

1. I am working in Kuwait so the nearest visa office would be Abu Dhabi. But I have noticed on this forum that Abu Dhabi is taking around 20-22 months (even though the CIC website says 18 months) to process the application. My question is can I select New Delhi as the visa centre as its taking around 12 months there?

2. If I have the option of selecting New Delhi visa centre, can I request the visa office to ask for the passport request (PPR) towards the end when they are ready to issue the visa? I am asking this because I noticed the New Delhi visa office asks for the PPR within 1 week to 2 months of receiving the application and further its taking around 8 months more to issue the PR. If they can allow me to send the passport towards the end it would help me as I would continue to work in Kuwait till the PR is issued.

3. Will my fiance be able to stay with me in Kuwait after marriage till we wait for my PR issued to be issued.

4. Can I start the sponsorship process by going to Canada before the actual wedding in december and getting a civil wedding done there. In this way my PR would be ready in at most a couple of moths after the marriage. Are there chances of my application getting rejected as the visa office might suspect a fraudulent marriage as the official wedding would be in december and there wont be any marriage proofs like wedding card, pics etc to show.

Experts please give your valuable comments and the best possible way to go ahead with the sponsorship process.

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
maverick27 said:
Hi All,

I had posted few questions earlier in the day. Experts can you please help me out with the answers.

I am an Indian working in Kuwait and my fiance is a PR in Canada. We will be marrying in December this year. I have started collecting information on the spouse sponsorship and would like the experts here to clarify some of my questions:

1. I am working in Kuwait so the nearest visa office would be Abu Dhabi. But I have noticed on this forum that Abu Dhabi is taking around 20-22 months (even though the CIC website says 18 months) to process the application. My question is can I select New Delhi as the visa centre as its taking around 12 months there?

If you an Indian citizen, you can ask for ND to be the visa office.

2. If I have the option of selecting New Delhi visa centre, can I request the visa office to ask for the passport request (PPR) towards the end when they are ready to issue the visa? I am asking this because I noticed the New Delhi visa office asks for the PPR within 1 week to 2 months of receiving the application and further its taking around 8 months more to issue the PR. If they can allow me to send the passport towards the end it would help me as I would continue to work in Kuwait till the PR is issued.

You can ask.. I believe that it's a "request" not a "demand" that you send it early.

3. Will my fiance be able to stay with me in Kuwait after marriage till we wait for my PR issued to be issued.

No. If she is a PR and she is sponsoring you, she must continue to reside in Canada.

4. Can I start the sponsorship process by going to Canada before the actual wedding in december and getting a civil wedding done there. In this way my PR would be ready in at most a couple of moths after the marriage. Are there chances of my application getting rejected as the visa office might suspect a fraudulent marriage as the official wedding would be in december and there wont be any marriage proofs like wedding card, pics etc to show.

Yes you can, BUT it might raise some red flags if it breaks normal tradition for your culture.

Experts please give your valuable comments and the best possible way to go ahead with the sponsorship process.

Thanks!

wo403

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
zardoz said:
Why do you believe that a request letter is required? I don't see that as a requirment on [external link]
Like I mentioned in my original post, I am actually applying from Saudi Arabia but the closest office is in Abu Dhabi.

But thank you for sharing that link, I found this the link for Saudi and I've already sent an email out for a request letter.

The local police in Saudi will not issue a clearance certificate without a request letter, that I am certain of.

Your assistance has been awesome, thanks!

canadiansteve

Jan 20, 2014
Hello, I am a new member here looking for some advice.

I am not married yet, but I want to get married this summer to my girlfriend when she comes to visit me in Canada. She is from Poland, we are both 20. We have done quite a lot of research on the topic. I currently live at home, but I am working two jobs (one of which has a possibility of transferring me to another location) and I am saving up for the summer, we want to elope basically, like meaning no one will be at our wedding, just a ceremony for us to be married. We don't have the money and we are sick and tired of being apart going nowhere. So I have a few questions:

1. Can we do an inland application right after getting married in Canada this summer? I understand it will take a month or two to get the needed documents together, but surely we can get them before the 6 month Visitors Visa expires?

2. How beneficial is it for us to include a plan for our future in the application? We are both not very well off, we have never finished school (Can't afford it, and I have had problems with OSAP that forced me to drop out), but being together will allow us to save more money and have a better chance at a prosperous future. Will explaining this have any impact?

3. What documents would we need from Poland? My girlfriend knows that she will need her birth certificate, passport, and EU health card, but aside from that we do not know what else she should get before leaving Poland. Going back while only I am able to work and support us would be quite an expense, one we want to avoid. Anyone from Poland who knows what we might need? (police checks, health test, and such things, do they have to come from Poland?)

4. Lastly, when would my wife be able to get things such as SIN, a bank account, or some other cards and government documents. I have read that getting these things while waiting for PR shows a better commitment and can speed the process and improve chances. Also, when can she apply for a work permit?

Thanks everyone, and I hope to make contact with a Polish/Canadian couple who has been successful in this.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadiansteve said:
Hello, I am a new member here looking for some advice.

I am not married yet, but I want to get married this summer to my girlfriend when she comes to visit me in Canada. She is from Poland, we are both 20. We have done quite a lot of research on the topic. I currently live at home, but I am working two jobs (one of which has a possibility of transferring me to another location) and I am saving up for the summer, we want to elope basically, like meaning no one will be at our wedding, just a ceremony for us to be married. We don't have the money and we are sick and tired of being apart going nowhere. So I have a few questions:

1. Can we do an inland application right after getting married in Canada this summer? I understand it will take a month or two to get the needed documents together, but surely we can get them before the 6 month Visitors Visa expires?

2. How beneficial is it for us to include a plan for our future in the application? We are both not very well off, we have never finished school (Can't afford it, and I have had problems with OSAP that forced me to drop out), but being together will allow us to save more money and have a better chance at a prosperous future. Will explaining this have any impact?

3. What documents would we need from Poland? My girlfriend knows that she will need her birth certificate, passport, and EU health card, but aside from that we do not know what else she should get before leaving Poland. Going back while only I am able to work and support us would be quite an expense, one we want to avoid. Anyone from Poland who knows what we might need? (police checks, health test, and such things, do they have to come from Poland?)

4. Lastly, when would my wife be able to get things such as SIN, a bank account, or some other cards and government documents. I have read that getting these things while waiting for PR shows a better commitment and can speed the process and improve chances. Also, when can she apply for a work permit?

Thanks everyone, and I hope to make contact with a Polish/Canadian couple who has been successful in this.
Welcome!

I can only offer you limited information, but I'm happy to `get the ball rolling' for you:

1. Yes, you can submit an Inland application as soon as you are married. You can even start filling out the forms before you are married, but do NOT sign them until you are married, obviously. Also, start (ASAP) gathering things to submit with your application to prove that your marriage is genuine. You'll need things like: letters, greeting cards, emails, text messages, etc., to show that you've been `together' for awhile and that this was not a marriage of convenience, just to get your wife into Canada. Unlike a common-law sponsorship, you don't have to provide a ton of evidence, but you should send them whatever you can get your hands on.
Also, submit an Open Work Permit (OWP) with the spousal sponsorship application. This will allow your wife to let her visitors visa expire, without any real problems. As you've probably already discovered, Inland applicants do not have to have legal status in Canada to apply, BUT...until you have AIP (Approval In Principle, which is where you are found eligible to sponsor her) she could be deported. The administrative deferral for removal doesn't technically apply until you have AIP. However, if you have an Inland application submitted and she doesn't have any other inadmissibility issues, she'll probably be fine. The OWP would be issued right after AIP (approximately 10 months after you submit your application) at which point she could work in Canada for anyone, with a few exceptions (i.e. exotic dancer).

2. You should each write an essay, describing your relationship and your goals and dreams for your life together.

3. She will certainly need her police certificate from Poland. Since it will likely take some time for her to get that, you should look into it now...BUT it will likely not be valid for more than 3 months once she receives it. It's probably a good idea to find out how long it will take to get, and then order it AFTER you send in your application. CIC realizes that these police checks take time to receive and appear to be understanding, in regards to them expiring if ordered before submitting your application. Just include a note with the application informing them that you will provide it at a later date (but order it when you send your application!).

4. She can't get a SIN, but you might be able to add her to your bank account. You can also add her to your cell phone plan, credit card, etc..

Good luck!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Priscilla_Louis said:
Hi I'm married since July 12 2012 . My husband is in srilanka still. I sent all the application forms by June 2013 and got first reponse by August of 2013 saying that I'am eligible for sponsor. Later on my husband received a letter telling him to write an financial plan in writing as to how he will support himself. Do these officers look at the wife's income in detail because I sent them everything regarding my financial aspect.Later in October of 2013, we got a refusal letter its because of financial reasons that it got rejected. so we sent the appeal form and working with a lawyer now. so how long do I have to wait now?
Wow, that's a surprising decision, since they should rely upon your information as primary and his as secondary. It sounds like you managed to get a sexist VO - very disturbing indeed!

The time depends very much on the IAD office you are using. Toronto tends to take 24-30 months for a full hearing an ADR in something like 12 months. Montreal and Vancouver have waiting times of around 6 months for a hearing.

If you are successful at the hearing (and it sounds like you should be) then they will refer your application back to a different officer of the same office OR they may send it to CPP-O (they handle many successful appeal cases now). At that point the clock starts again.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I wonder if this might be a new trend?
While there is no formal financial requirement for spousal sponsorship income levels, maybe they are taking a look at the bigger picture and now doing a form of "viability" check on the sponsorship?

If so, it would certainly have a negative impact on cases like this -> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/from-england-to-canada-is-this-situation-possible-t181897.0.html

aribc

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
BC
Visa Office......
Ankara
Hi Guys

As far as I found forms IMM5669 and IMM5406 must fill out by principle applicant.
Does Sponsor need to fill out those forms too as well?
Since in CIC website mentions spouse or common-low needs to fill it out besides principle applicant, I'm kinda confused now!
Could you please help me out.
Tnx

Shaw

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2013
AOR Received.
07-01-2014
File Transfer...
11-01-2014
Med's Done....
1st : 12-10-2013, re-medical : Aug 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 28,2014 and PP reached at SVO on Aug 28
VISA ISSUED...
7 oct 2014, Visa reached at VFS: 13 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
June, 2015
Like I said previously that I saw in ECAS on Jan 8 that 'Decision is made' on Sponsor side and CPC-M sent a letter on Jan 7 about that. But till today Jan 20 I did not get any letter. I called today CIC call centre and a Representative told me that they sent me an email on Jan 8 with Sponsorship approval, but I did not received any such email, even in my junk mail. But he looked and informed me that my Sponsorship was approved on Jan 7 and file was supposed to be transferred to Singapore Visa office within next 2/3 days from SA. When I requested them to resend the SA by email, he told me that 2nd time they can not send email, they can only send it by mail and it will reach me within 6 weeks. On the otherhand the Applicant side ' Medical Result received ' updated on Jan 11.

Should I be worried for SA letter and what I can do ?

canadiansteve

Jan 20, 2014
Ponga said:
Welcome!

I can only offer you limited information, but I'm happy to `get the ball rolling' for you:

1. Yes, you can submit an Inland application as soon as you are married. You can even start filling out the forms before you are married, but do NOT sign them until you are married, obviously. Also, start (ASAP) gathering things to submit with your application to prove that your marriage is genuine. You'll need things like: letters, greeting cards, emails, text messages, etc., to show that you've been `together' for awhile and that this was not a marriage of convenience, just to get your wife into Canada. Unlike a common-law sponsorship, you don't have to provide a ton of evidence, but you should send them whatever you can get your hands on.
Also, submit an Open Work Permit (OWP) with the spousal sponsorship application. This will allow your wife to let her visitors visa expire, without any real problems. As you've probably already discovered, Inland applicants do not have to have legal status in Canada to apply, BUT...until you have AIP (Approval In Principle, which is where you are found eligible to sponsor her) she could be deported. The administrative deferral for removal doesn't technically apply until you have AIP. However, if you have an Inland application submitted and she doesn't have any other inadmissibility issues, she'll probably be fine. The OWP would be issued right after AIP (approximately 10 months after you submit your application) at which point she could work in Canada for anyone, with a few exceptions (i.e. exotic dancer).

2. You should each write an essay, describing your relationship and your goals and dreams for your life together.

3. She will certainly need her police certificate from Poland. Since it will likely take some time for her to get that, you should look into it now...BUT it will likely not be valid for more than 3 months once she receives it. It's probably a good idea to find out how long it will take to get, and then order it AFTER you send in your application. CIC realizes that these police checks take time to receive and appear to be understanding, in regards to them expiring if ordered before submitting your application. Just include a note with the application informing them that you will provide it at a later date (but order it when you send your application!).

4. She can't get a SIN, but you might be able to add her to your bank account. You can also add her to your cell phone plan, credit card, etc..

Good luck!
Thanks very much for your reply, however are you sure that she would not be able to get a SIN? I have read of other people getting theirs before getting PR, but maybe I am mistaken. Do you happen to know if coming to Canada together in the summer will be an issue? I have heard that the Sponsor is supposed to be in Canada before the Applicant, although perhaps this is the same as arriving in Canada at the same time.

I have never heard of AIP, but I have heard of implied status, which a lawyer informed me is automatic for the duration of the application/processing, and she would only be able to be get deported if there was an actual reason such as, threat to security, or breaking the rules of PR agreement.

Also, do you think they would accept computer printouts of pictures we have taken together? As for the rest of the evidence, it will be easy, and our friends and family have agreed that they will write a couple paragraphs for us saying stuff they did together with us and that it's the real deal.

elreymateo

Jan 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 27 2014
AOR Received.
March 29 2014
File Transfer...
April 15 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 10 2014
Interview........
Oct 20 2014
I am attempting to sponsor my wife who lives in China. My wife and I are getting together our application, One of the requirements for Chinese applicants is they have to submit copies of their "Hukou" (household registry). Here is the problem: Her marriage to me had to be added to her Hukou, but the Hukou is purely in Chinese. And my name can't be written in Chinese. So I have a different name in the Hukou :a Chinese name. Does anyone know how I should explain this? and whether this will cause problems for our application. Should I write my Chinese name (in pinyin Romanized letters) on the application for sponsorship where it asks if the applicant has ever had a second name? Thanks and good luck to all.

estrada

Dec 13, 2013
hi there, i need some help completing all the forms to sponsor my spouse (got married 2010) and 3 kids in the Philippines. i am a permanent resident here in B.C. Should I need to show them my income or tax paper's last year (2013) ? because I'm kind a confused or what exactly the CIC must need to know for me to get qualified? allow me to paste this instructions --- "prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application".---
thank you in advanced for your help and advised.

Jan 21, 2014
My son is on open work permit at Calgary, AB, Canada. He is working on full time job since four months. He married on 14.12.2012. He studied at Halifax, Nova Scotia for Master in Internetworking, 2 year full time study course. can he call his wife on work permit. Pl guide us for the procedure and also highlight about the time of processing the file. He has already submitted the documents and application for PNP.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadiansteve said:
Thanks very much for your reply, however are you sure that she would not be able to get a SIN? I have read of other people getting theirs before getting PR, but maybe I am mistaken. Do you happen to know if coming to Canada together in the summer will be an issue? I have heard that the Sponsor is supposed to be in Canada before the Applicant, although perhaps this is the same as arriving in Canada at the same time.

I have never heard of AIP, but I have heard of implied status, which a lawyer informed me is automatic for the duration of the application/processing, and she would only be able to be get deported if there was an actual reason such as, threat to security, or breaking the rules of PR agreement.

Also, do you think they would accept computer printouts of pictures we have taken together? As for the rest of the evidence, it will be easy, and our friends and family have agreed that they will write a couple paragraphs for us saying stuff they did together with us and that it's the real deal.
You're welcome!

AFAIK, she can only get a SIN if she applies for (and receives) her OWP, which must be submitted with the application to give her the implied status that you mention.

Arriving at the border together could be an issue, especially if it's her first time to Canada. The Border Officer might think that she is planning to `live' with you in Canada, which is not permitted. She will be `visiting' ;) you, so if you do arrive together, make sure that you mention that.

Photocopies/prints are perfectly fine and highly recommended, since you may never get your originals back.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
estrada said:
hi there, i need some help completing all the forms to sponsor my spouse (got married 2010) and 3 kids in the Philippines. i am a permanent resident here in B.C. Should I need to show them my income or tax paper's last year (2013) ? because I'm kind a confused or what exactly the CIC must need to know for me to get qualified? allow me to paste this instructions --- "prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner's dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application".---
thank you in advanced for your help and advised.

In order to sponsor a spouse/children, you must include your last years Option C printout from CRA. You don't have to meet any certain income guidelines but you must not be on social insurance.