Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Toronto ASAP said:
Computergeek it seems like you know a lot about these dates in GCMS so I am asking you or anyone who could help, I would appreciate it so much bcs I really don't know what to expect at this point. Got my first GCMS notes and I am freaking out. My file has been in Vienna since end of February and Ecas only shows App received, medical received... Now I know...it seems nothing has been done on it! :eek: (not just my case, Vienna is unbelievably slow this year). But what is confusing to me the most are these different due dates I just don't know how to interpret, for example:
(I am using format day/month/year)

Eligibility: not started, Due date 22 02 2014 (exactly a year since it was updated)
Criminality: not started, Due date 17 03 2013, last updated 15 02 2013
Security: not started, Due date 17 03 2013, last updated 15 02 2013
Medical: passed, Due date 14 02 2014 (a year since it was created)

I think I saw that most people have the same due dates for these 3 categories when they do not start with none of them, no?
And how come my due date expired 6 months ago for criminality/security and nothing changed?

And under APPLICATION ASSIGNMENT Due date is 06 04 2013 - what is this?

I just need some kind of time frame, when I read this I am afraid that they really won't open my file till 2014??? I am confused and a bit disheartened. So sorry if you already mentioned this topic somewhere, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks so much in advance!
GCMS notes appear to be a report based upon a series of SQL queries against the database. The format "feels" like database response data spewed out into a long report. Note that the entries are in reverse chronological order (for example).

I do not believe those due dates are hard dates - I suspect they are more like "trigger dates" that mean the file will show up on some sort of report (like an "exception report" of things that need to be done). But if nobody DOES anything about your file, those dates aren't going to change. This could (unfortunately) be an indication of an overburdened office. But this is also consistent with what seems to happen at a visa office - the files sit in a queue waiting for review. When you get your 15 minutes of TLC, they look at your file, update various fields on the screen (which translate into updates to the database) and you get an e-mail asking for something they need (medical, PCCs, RPRF, PPR). Then the due date gets updated and you don't show up on the exception report any longer.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
DannyRDG said:
Scylla, thanks for the info and replying so quickly.

If I apply outland do I have to do it from UK, or can I do it from another country?

My 12 months living with my partner to be able to apply for spousal sponsorship is not until 16 Dec 13. The same day my visitor visa extension expires. I have also been advised to travel to the states before then and upon return ask CBSA for a visitor record extension for a further year. The reason for this is because I wasn't aware that I required a criminal record check from UK. That will take approximately 8 weeks to receive which will be very close to my cut off date for my visa extension. I am quite worried of falling foul of immigration rules as I had problems with immigration last year when i travelled to the states. Sorry for being a pain in asking all these questions.
You can be anywhere in the world and apply through your home country. This includes Canada. There is no requirement YOU be in the UK - as long as you are a UK national, you can request processing through the London office. For the "inland" process there is a physical location requirement ("must be living in Canada with the sponsor").

Why don't you just apply for an extension of your VR from inside Canada. As long as you apply prior to the expiration of your current status you may remain and are "in status" under the implied status doctrine. There is no need for you to leave Canada. My advice would be to include a copy of the fee paid (for the PR application) receipt and tell them you wish to remain in Canada while it is being processed. Make sure to demonstrate that you and your partner can afford for you to remain a visitor and you should be fine.

DannyRDG

Apr 19, 2013
Thanks computergeek, my problem is I dont think I will have all the necessary paperwork in my hand to accompany my PR visa request before my extended visitor visa expires. My UK criminal record check takes about 8 weeks which is cutting it very fine for me. How many times can you extend your visitor visa? How long an extension can you apply for?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
DannyRDG said:
Thanks computergeek, my problem is I dont think I will have all the necessary paperwork in my hand to accompany my PR visa request before my extended visitor visa expires. My UK criminal record check takes about 8 weeks which is cutting it very fine for me. How many times can you extend your visitor visa? How long an extension can you apply for?
I think you missed my point. Sending a copy of the fee receipt for the application doesn't require that you have all the paperwork - it requires that you be willing to give CIC $550 of your hard-earned money in exchange for a PDF document with a unique serial number on it. The purpose of the fee receipt isn't to show you have filed, it's to show that you are serious about doing so.

There is no limit to the number of times you can extend your visitor record (you are visa exempt, so you have a "visitor record" not a "Temporary Resident Visa"). There is no limit to the amount of time you can request, but if you think you will be ready to submit in January 2014, I'd ask for a VR through June 2015 "to provide sufficient time for the London Visa Office to complete processing of my application". Just keep in mind that a visa officer will want to see a lot more substantial resources for an 18 month stay than for a 6 month stay.

Oh, one more point: if you do a VR extension by mail (so paper application) it takes longer. Odds are by the time they get to your VR extension request your sponsor will already have approval. At the moment they say 90 days for a renewal by mail. So let's say you send in your renewal by courier on 15 December 2013 (so they receive it on 16 December 2013 and thus prior to expiration of your current document). They get to your application around 15 March 2013. If you submit your PR application by 1 February 2014 the sponsor will be approved by the time they bother to look at your application - and they WILL see that your PR application has been submitted by that time.

This isn't REQUIRED, but its probably how things will work out.

Note: your fee receipt for the visitor extension is how you establish you are on implied status.

DannyRDG

Apr 19, 2013
Computergeek, I think I'm getting really confused here and maybe I'm thicker than a whale omelette with a side portion of deep fried elephant ears! I was under the impression for common law spousal sponsorship my partner had submit an application as sponsor costing $460 and then I also had submit my application at the same price. I was also under the impression that you cannot submit the application on line but had to do it as a paperwork application. What do I have to do as you advised? Secondly, I'm fortunate as I served in the British army for 22 years and therefore have a pension for life which i receive monthly so don't have to worry too much about supporting myself whilst here.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Computergeek is not talking about submitting the PR application online, but submitting a visitor extension request.

Here's what you would do:
-First, pay the application fee (but not the RPRF yet) for the PR application. Get the receipt. You would pay 550$ first, then the Right of Permanent Residence Fee later (490$). Or all up front if you'd prefer.
-Then apply to extend your stay as a visitor, showing the proof of fees. Say that you need to get your police check and documents in order, etc. Ask for a reasonable amount of time, given the timeline for London, documents required.

The PR application is in fact submitted with your spouse's sponsorship application. It's all sent to Mississauga. They approve the sponsor and send it off to London.
The visitor extension is done online. You need a lot less paper than for a PR application. You are doing 2 separate things. A visitor visa extension while you get the paperwork ready, to ensure you stay legal in Canada. Then the PR application.

remonda

Star Member
Aug 30, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Piease i want help in imm 5490 question 24 and 25 if my sponsor is living with me for 10 years how can i answer these qes
Has ur sponsor visited u during the period of ur relationship?yes or no
If i say yes i dont remember the dates of visits from 10 years can i say that from 10 years he is living with me before that he was between cairo and canada
Please i want for areply

CAN_4VISAFAM

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2013
Med's Request
31-03-2014 (Remedical)
Passport Req..
25-04-2013
Guys. I need a help....

I filed my application on march 8th. got file number & passport request after one month. But on aug, I got my PhD offer and I applied for my student visa. received my student visa with passport and I came to Canada on Sept 2nd. Now what I need to do for getting my PR.?????. do I need to send my passport again or just wait... Do i need to send any mail to embassy.? Is thr anyone here got some idea abt this situation?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
DannyRDG said:
Computergeek, I think I'm getting really confused here and maybe I'm thicker than a whale omelette with a side portion of deep fried elephant ears! I was under the impression for common law spousal sponsorship my partner had submit an application as sponsor costing $460 and then I also had submit my application at the same price. I was also under the impression that you cannot submit the application on line but had to do it as a paperwork application. What do I have to do as you advised? Secondly, I'm fortunate as I served in the British army for 22 years and therefore have a pension for life which i receive monthly so don't have to worry too much about supporting myself whilst here.
Yes, MilesAway's explanation is on point.

The actual fees are:

$75 (sponsor)
$475 (applicant)

For a total of $550. At some point you must pay the RPRF ($490).

My advice:

Pay the $550 PR application fee now. That gives you a PDF receipt. Use that PDF receipt as part of your "evidence" of intent with your Visitor extension request. The VR extension fee is $75.

When you are ready to submit the PR application, pay the RPRF ($490) online. Include BOTH RECEIPTS with your application - the $550 for the application fees and the $490 for the RPRF. You are permitted to defer the $490 until the visa office requests it, but that seems to add 2-4 months to the process at the end.

There are two different types of resident document involved here: temporary (visitor) and permanent (sponsored spouse/partner). To remain in Canada right now you must continue to stay in status (visitor/worker/student) until such time as you are approved for permanent residency. Once you become a permanent resident you no longer need temporary status (indeed, you are not eligible for temporary status as a permanent resident).

Good luck!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CAN_4VISAFAM said:
Guys. I need a help....

I filed my application on march 8th. got file number & passport request after one month. But on aug, I got my PhD offer and I applied for my student visa. received my student visa with passport and I came to Canada on Sept 2nd. Now what I need to do for getting my PR.?????. do I need to send my passport again or just wait... Do i need to send any mail to embassy.? Is thr anyone here got some idea abt this situation?
You will need to wait until the visa office requires your passport. Note that NDVO will request your passport at the beginning of your application ("in order to expedite processing of your file, we request you submit your passport at this time"). That is only a request - you can decline the "expedited processing" and advise them that you are in Canada so you prefer to wait until it is necessary for them to receive your passport.

Indian law prohibits sending passports through the mail and this generally seems to include couriers. Thus, someone must physically take your passport to India so that it may be submitted to NDVO for visa and COPR issuance. Then someone must physically bring it back to you. That can be you, a family member or someone else that you trust with your passport.

Good luck with your PhD program. I suspect you'll start hearing from NDVO about your PR application very soon.

Mardek

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
St Petersburg, Russia
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2015
Doc's Request.
RPRF request 21-04-2016
AOR Received.
04-12-2015
File Transfer...
15-12-2015
Med's Done....
06-27-2015
Interview........
Decision Made: 05-07-2016
Passport Req..
24-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
22-06-2016
Hello everyone.

This is my situation, and I hope someone can give a little insight on whether it will cause problems.

I used to study in Canada for quite a while, but at one point my relatives could not afford to help me with my school tuition, and I dropped out. I overstayed my student visa for a year, over a fear of going back to my home country (I'm from Russia and I did not want to go to the army due to inhumane conditions).
Later I realized that it is pointless and I'd be better off going back home, where I could at least find a job and support myself, so I left Canada on my own, I was not deported.

Now my girlfriend stayed in Canada because she is currently in university, and next month we are getting married in Russia. We have been together for 6 years, easy to prove, lots of pictures, common friends, she visited me several times, lots of gifts, emails, skype, etc...

I've been outside of Canada for over a year, and after we get married we will apply for family class sponsorship. Will my wife have issues of getting approved as a sponsor if she is in university?
Will I have issues due to my overstay in Canada?

Thank you.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mardek said:
I've been outside of Canada for over a year, and after we get married we will apply for family class sponsorship. Will my wife have issues of getting approved as a sponsor if she is in university?
Will I have issues due to my overstay in Canada?
Being in University is not a bar to sponsoring a spouse/partner. CIC must be convinced that you will not need social assistance, but they can consider the skills and assets of both of you in doing so. If you can do so, you won't have a problem with sponsorship.

It is unlikely CIC will even be aware of your overstay. By leaving voluntarily you resolved the overstay issue. So while you may have to admit to it (I think they ask about it on the PR application), the overstay is not a valid basis for refusing you permanent residency in Canada by itself.

katbm

Jan 20, 2012
Hi, can anyone advise please? I just spoke with the call centre and they told me that my letter for a landing interview is on its way. However, it says we have to go to Vancouver, but we live on the far east of BC. Does anyone know if it's ever possible for them to send you to a closer office if you request it?
Thanks

Toronto ASAP

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2013
Doc's Request.
21 Jan 2014, new PC and Interview invitation
AOR Received.
Stage 1 - 15 Feb 2013, SA 22 Feb 2013
File Transfer...
Stage 2 AOR - 01 March 2013
Med's Done....
11 Jan 2013, 2nd 07 March 2014
Interview........
05 March 2014
Passport Req..
29 April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 May 2014
computergeek said:
GCMS notes appear to be a report based upon a series of SQL queries against the database. The format "feels" like database response data spewed out into a long report. Note that the entries are in reverse chronological order (for example).

I do not believe those due dates are hard dates - I suspect they are more like "trigger dates" that mean the file will show up on some sort of report (like an "exception report" of things that need to be done). But if nobody DOES anything about your file, those dates aren't going to change. This could (unfortunately) be an indication of an overburdened office. But this is also consistent with what seems to happen at a visa office - the files sit in a queue waiting for review. When you get your 15 minutes of TLC, they look at your file, update various fields on the screen (which translate into updates to the database) and you get an e-mail asking for something they need (medical, PCCs, RPRF, PPR). Then the due date gets updated and you don't show up on the exception report any longer.
Thank you very much for the clarification. At the end all we need is luck!!!

ladybugclh

Oct 13, 2013
So back to bother everyone with another question....and thanks again in advance for any help....So my husband received an email today from the doctor here in Ontario who did his immigration medical (it was way cheaper than doing it in California)...anyway the doctor got an email from immigration asking for verification that he was there...medicals were sent they are just looking for verification and conviently she can't find his file......question is does anyone know why they would be looking for the verification...is this normal and we are hearing about it just because she can't find his file.....thanks again