+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

FedrGrozniy

May 21, 2009
Hello everyone,
I have never used this site before so don't even know how to properly post questions. I'm a Canadian PR who has just met the eligibility requirements for the citizenship (1095 or 3 years out of the last four) and applied at the end of January 2013. Planning to get married this coming September. My future wife is citizen of Tajikistan, but currently lives in Russia. I still haven't received any acknowledgement letter from CIC. After my wedding, am i eligible to sponsor my wife to come join me in Canada ? If yes, then how long is the processing time ? We're planning to have a kid, and if my wife does get pregnant and I decide to stay with her overseas, would this count against me when I get called up for an interview with an Immigration officer ? What are my options? Any replies, tips, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FedrGrozniy said:
Hello everyone,
I have never used this site before so don't even know how to properly post questions. I'm a Canadian PR who has just met the eligibility requirements for the citizenship (1095 or 3 years out of the last four) and applied at the end of January 2013. Planning to get married this coming September. My future wife is citizen of Tajikistan, but currently lives in Russia. I still haven't received any acknowledgement letter from CIC. After my wedding, am i eligible to sponsor my wife to come join me in Canada ? If yes, then how long is the processing time ? We're planning to have a kid, and if my wife does get pregnant and I decide to stay with her overseas, would this count against me when I get called up for an interview with an Immigration officer ? What are my options? Any replies, tips, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You can sponsor your wife for PR in order to come to Canada.

The processing times in Russia, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#europe

As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor. You can take a short vacation to visit your wife but I would not recommend more than 2-3 weeks. If immigration finds that you are not residing in Canada, they will cancel your application.

Once you become a citizen, you can sponsor from outside Canada but if you only just applied, you might have your wife here before you will get your citizenship.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
FedrGrozniy said:
Hello everyone,
Since you have met the eligibility for citizenship and have already applied you can stay outside of Canada for a while but please note that you may still lose your PR if you do not meet the residency requirements. Please note that citizenship applications are currently taking around 23 months. As a PR, you cannot sponsor your spouse if you are residing outside of Canada. If you lodge an application for your spouse, by stage 2 you will most likely be asked to provide proof that you are living in Canada. If you cannot prove it your application will be denied. If your future wife's application is processed in Moscow it might take about 15 months. Please also note that if you have a child during the processing of your application, you circumstances will change and this may affect the time it will take for processing. You must notify them of the birth of a child because otherwise you will be jeopardizing your spouse's application. Also, since you are not a citizen you child will not be a Canadian and thus your child will need to be sponsored.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
deshulina said:
Hi guys I have just one quick question, can my PR husband sponsor me out of Canada , while we live in the UK ?
No. As a PR, he has to be inside Canada during the application processing.

robbiefernando

Star Member
Mar 18, 2013
a tricky situation:

I use to live with my best friend for 3 years in the same house but we were just friends. He migrated to canada like 2 years ago and then we realised that we love each other and now plan to get setteled and marry . We have met once in the last two years for 2 weeks in Asia but we speak often on the phone and chats. I am travelling to canada as a visitor and plan to get married to him. Am i then eligible to apply as a spouse ? just so confused - i have been reading on this forum that living together is classified as being in common law relationship. Well, we were living together but we were just friends and boarders in the same house. I do not qualify to immigrate to canada under any other category.

Also, coming to canada as a visitor and then gettng married and applying for a spouse visa outland - will it be okay ?

Can someone suggest me any good lawyer who could guide me with my situation as well ?

Many Thanks and I look forward to your response. PLEASE take some time to respond to this thread as it will be a big help and I apprecite all your assistance in advance.

Cheers

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I think, from your description, that common-law is not an option for you in this case.
You would have to marry, somewhere, and then try for spousal. I think this is your only option.

anton1023

Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 6 2011
Passport Req..
Jan 30 2012
Badly needed an advice!

I am currently on s sponsorship application by my wife.. I have a pending application (family class-spouse). The problem is that I needed to go to Canada for an exam. The exam should be taken only in canada and I only have 3 tries to make it. WHat makes it more complicated is that if I miss the exam that makes it one count. My application for PR as a spouse has been with the CE Manila since 2011. They have all my passport and papers. If I apply for tourist visa just to take the exam will it affect my pending application as a family class(spouse visa)? Will they even give me a tourist visa while I am on a pending application? I am still waiting for the reply of my MP on this matter but I need your opinion on this matter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
anton1023 said:
Badly needed an advice!

I am currently on s sponsorship application by my wife.. I have a pending application (family class-spouse). The problem is that I needed to go to Canada for an exam. The exam should be taken only in canada and I only have 3 tries to make it. WHat makes it more complicated is that if I miss the exam that makes it one count. My application for PR as a spouse has been with the CE Manila since 2011. They have all my passport and papers. If I apply for tourist visa just to take the exam will it affect my pending application as a family class(spouse visa)? Will they even give me a tourist visa while I am on a pending application? I am still waiting for the reply of my MP on this matter but I need your opinion on this matter.
No - this won't affect your PR application.

As for the tourist visa, none of us here can tell you for certain if it will be approved or refused. There is certainly a greater chance it will be refused since CIC knows you have plans to remain in Canada long term. However you include strong supporting documentation showing that you only plan to visit Canada for a short period, have strong ties to your home country and will not overstay your visit - then you may have a chance of being approved.

anton1023

Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 6 2011
Passport Req..
Jan 30 2012
scylla said:
No - this won't affect your PR application.

As for the tourist visa, none of us here can tell you for certain if it will be approved or refused. There is certainly a greater chance it will be refused since CIC knows you have plans to remain in Canada long term. However you include strong supporting documentation showing that you only plan to visit Canada for a short period, have strong ties to your home country and will not overstay your visit - then you may have a chance of being approved.
Thanks scylla...
Just got to try the tourist visa since theres no other exam siteother outside canada... The process to be able to take the exam is more tedious than the immigration process itself n the fees are about C$ 1000+...
Thank you vey much..

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
anton1023 said:
Badly needed an advice!

How do you plan on applying for a TRV and travelling without a passport? Don't you need your physical passport to obtain a TRV stampped?

lovely123

Star Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visa Office......
islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 oct 2012
AOR Received.
16 nov 2012 , nekah case only
File Transfer...
8 jan 2013 to isl, and on May transfered to uk
Med's Request
Re medical 22 jan and received repcc addional doc and ppr1 in 13 nov
Med's Done....
28 jan
Interview........
i hope not
Passport Req..
dont know when.
VISA ISSUED...
inshallah
LANDED..........
inshallah
Hi guys, my husband is citizen of canada, im living in islamabad but basicly im from afghanistan, my husband.Submitted my papers on oct , he recieved the approval too, then my papers transfer to islamabad visa office on 8th jan 2013 , still i didnt get any response from visa office, can u guys plz tell me how many months it will take ,
Thank u

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
lovely123 said:
Hi guys, my husband is citizen of canada, im living in islamabad but basicly im from afghanistan, my husband.Submitted my papers on oct , he recieved the approval too, then my papers transfer to islamabad visa office on 8th jan 2013 , still i didnt get any response from visa office, can u guys plz tell me how many months it will take ,
Thank u
Up to 28 months.

robbiefernando

Star Member
Mar 18, 2013
robbiefernando said:
a tricky situation:

I use to live with my best friend for 3 years in the same house but we were just friends. He migrated to canada like 2 years ago and then we realised that we love each other and now plan to get setteled and marry . We have met once in the last two years for 2 weeks in Asia but we speak often on the phone and chats. I am travelling to canada as a visitor and plan to get married to him. Am i then eligible to apply as a spouse ? just so confused - i have been reading on this forum that living together is classified as being in common law relationship. Well, we were living together but we were just friends and boarders in the same house. I do not qualify to immigrate to canada under any other category.

Also, coming to canada as a visitor and then gettng married and applying for a spouse visa outland - will it be okay ?

Can someone suggest me any good lawyer who could guide me with my situation as well ?

Many Thanks and I look forward to your response. PLEASE take some time to respond to this thread as it will be a big help and I apprecite all your assistance in advance.

Cheers

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND TO MY QUERY ?