+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Lyla

Sep 17, 2012
Hello

I have a couple of questions regarding my situation. I plan on my marrying my fiance who's an international student in Canada and I am a Canadian citizen. We plan on doing the paper marriage (Nikkah) first with a few important guests at the end of this year and then do the remaining events (with extended family) back home in Pakistan in the coming summer. When would be the best time for me to submit the spousal application? Can I submit it right after the paper work for the marriage (Nikkah) is done and submit the proofs of the events separately after they happen in the summer? Or should I wait till all the events have taken place by the end of the summer and then submit the application as a whole?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

brymas

Aug 25, 2012
computergeek said:
Did you advise CRA when you filed your 2011 return? If not, they won't be happy when they find out. If you didn't file a 2011 return, then you will need to inform them with your 2012 return, as it affects the computation of your taxes.

CIC generally doesn't care. But if they have further questions about the legitimacy of the relationship it is a good idea to have those things done so you can show them.
THANK YOU.

Another question, do i need to submit option c print out even I have my certificate of employment from my present job?

memo2012

Feb 29, 2012
KSA
Category........
Visa Office......
ABU DHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB-2012
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
Hi all .....

I need to know when I'll get the immigration visa . is it soon or no ??
I'm living in Saudi Arabia ( Riyadh )
my wife living in Canada and she applied my file on 29 FEB 2012
the medical exam and the police clearance submitted in the same file
the Canadian embassy received my file 5 March 2012
25 July 2012 the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi request me to fill some forms (RESIDENCY QUESTIONNAIRE + IMM5549 Supplementary Information Form ) and remake the police clearance again plus the passports copies and the visa fees ( 490$ )
I sent all the requested documents on 11 Sep 2012 to Canadian embassy in AD.
the Canadian Embassy received it on 13 Sep 2012
my medical exam will expire on 17 Jan 2012
please Now I need to know the next step and how much time it will take to start the process and if they are going to issue my visa before the medical exam expire

thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Lyla said:
Hello

I have a couple of questions regarding my situation. I plan on my marrying my fiance who's an international student in Canada and I am a Canadian citizen. We plan on doing the paper marriage (Nikkah) first with a few important guests at the end of this year and then do the remaining events (with extended family) back home in Pakistan in the coming summer. When would be the best time for me to submit the spousal application? Can I submit it right after the paper work for the marriage (Nikkah) is done and submit the proofs of the events separately after they happen in the summer? Or should I wait till all the events have taken place by the end of the summer and then submit the application as a whole?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Better to wait until all of the events have taken place by the end of the summer and submit the application as a whole.

darkhorse64

Sep 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the quick response and informative answers Computergeek! I've been looking so hard to find real answers, and it's great to finally get them.
Sorry to bother you again, but I have a few more questions:
1.So even if she has a Portuguese birth certificate and passport, she can request London when applying outland? Is that because she lives in London UK and is in the EU?
2.When she visits in Dec. for 6 months and we get married, and she applies outland, would you mind giving me a brief list of steps you would reccommend we take if we want to be together for as long as we can during the application process?

Thank you so much for your time!

study95

Sep 18, 2012
i found this forum too much beneficial.
friends i am from Pakistan and my spouse is in Canada and she is citizen.but i have to go china for my studies.can my spouse sponsor me through china embassy during studies in china i have 2 years visa of china.if yes then how long my application processing time will be??waiting for kind reply

imonec

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
17-09-2012
Med's Request
24-02-2013
Med's Done....
04-07-2012
LANDED..........
04-04-2014
Re: Spousal sponsorship - signed receipt to AOR

Hi guys, I sent my inland application last week and received signed receipt from the courier company. how long typically have you guys had to wait to get your email AOR?

thanks

Imo

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
darkhorse64 said:
1.So even if she has a Portuguese birth certificate and passport, she can request London when applying outland? Is that because she lives in London UK and is in the EU?
As long as she has been admitted to the UK legally for 12 months, she is eligible for processing through London. But London or Paris, she will likely find processing time is similar.

darkhorse64 said:
2.When she visits in Dec. for 6 months and we get married, and she applies outland, would you mind giving me a brief list of steps you would reccommend we take if we want to be together for as long as we can during the application process?
Start collecting information now for the application. Find out the processing time for things like police certificates (she must get one from any country in which she has lived for 6 months or more since she was 18 years old). Figure out how long it will take to get your marriage certificate. Then set down an estimated date by which you want to file the application. Working backwards from that, figure out when you need to apply for all the paperwork you need. Some doesn't age out (birth certificates) while others do (police certificates must be submitted within 90 days of their issue date). The last thing to do is the immigration medical examination, so schedule it for very close to that time you plan on submitting your application.

Keep a copy of the entire application, including your receipt.

When it comes time for her to renew her visitor record, submit the sponsorship letter or if you don't have that yet, submit a copy of the receipt of payment for the fees and request that her status be extended so she may stay with you for the duration of the PR processing time.

I would also suggest that you ensure she has health insurance coverage for the duration of her visit. Some provinces offer coverage of spouses, some restrict it to spouses with an active PR application and some do not allow it until either AIP (inland) or PR is granted. There are numerous cases of unfortunate foreign nationals who become pregnant while awaiting PR and that can be a very expensive process.

qtazngal

Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 February 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
05 January 2012
Interview........
Waived
Re: Spousal sponsorship - signed receipt to AOR

imonec said:
Hi guys, I sent my inland application last week and received signed receipt from the courier company. how long typically have you guys had to wait to get your email AOR?

thanks

Imo
Hi Imonec

I have read and noticed that the others received their AOR within a couple of weeks but sometimes you dont receive one at all like me, instead months later I received my sponsorship approval. Just hang fire (wait) you might get one or you might not - if you dont receive an AOR maybe you are one of those people like me who will just get an sponsorship approval via email.

Good luck

Cangaceiro

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/2011
File Transfer...
09/12/2011
Interview........
11/06/2012
MEDICAL EXAMS TIMELINE?!?!

Hi guys, I'm inland applicant and I had the first stage approved in June 14/2012, after that, CIC ask me to re-do the Medical Exams and pay the land fee, wich I did, Ottawa received my exams in July 11/2012, according to PUROLATOR. I would do like to know the Timeline for the medical exams get here in Etobicoke!? Thank you in advance!!

Phaythe

Sep 18, 2012
These forums have been very helpful :)

I'll undoubtedly have more questions later on, but for now a quick one that I can't seem to find an answer to. Since wait times for inland are listed right now at about 18 months we'd like to apply for PR for my boyfriend as soon as we're eligible under common law. Problem being, marriage is being discussed (though nothing official yet) and we'd be looking at a wedding date shortly after he finishes grad school, the paperwork will likely not have been completely processed to grant him PR yet.

Here's where I'm not really sure about the situation. If we apply as common law and then get engaged would it change our file to a case where they'd void it and make us reapply after we've gotten married? Would it not matter as long as we're engaged but not married until his PR is approved? Or is it all categorized as spousal and I'm reading too far into the whole thing? He's American, if it matters.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Phaythe said:
Here's where I'm not really sure about the situation. If we apply as common law and then get engaged would it change our file to a case where they'd void it and make us reapply after we've gotten married? Would it not matter as long as we're engaged but not married until his PR is approved? Or is it all categorized as spousal and I'm reading too far into the whole thing? He's American, if it matters.
Nope, you'd still qualify, even if your status changed from "common law" to "married" and you wouldn't need to refile the application - they are just different ways of qualifying for the same class of sponsorship. It doesn't matter that he's American in this case.

I would tell CIC when you do get married (since technically the rules state you must inform them of changes in your relationship) but it's one of those things they aren't going to care about.

brymas

Aug 25, 2012
Hi Everyone,

PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP

Currently we are almost done doing our paper trails re: Proof of relationship.

Question, I and my wife usually chat on facebook and IM , especially when we are both at work. And I guess, this is the best proof we can have to prove our relationship. Do we need to make a separate translation on every IM we have because most of the time we talked on our native language ( tagalog )..

thanks in advance.

brymas

Aug 25, 2012
do I need to request for the Option C printout even I have already my employment certificate ( whom I am working since 2009 ) ?