+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

5AM13

Sep 10, 2023
Should my spouse apply for police certificate check now even though we have not filled out her whole application for PR? I ask because it says in her online portal she needs to submit police check before she can submit her entire PR application. We are confused because instructions says to do police check once ircc sends you a letter and you've submitted your pr application. How are we supposed to submit the pr application if it is saying police check is required before submitting?? Please advise we are confused.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Should my spouse apply for police certificate check now even though we have not filled out her whole application for PR? I ask because it says in her online portal she needs to submit police check before she can submit her entire PR application. We are confused because instructions says to do police check once ircc sends you a letter and you've submitted your pr application. How are we supposed to submit the pr application if it is saying police check is required before submitting?? Please advise we are confused.
It depends on which country the pcc is coming from. There are some countries that will only issue pcc at the request of a foreign government, so you must wait for the IRCC to send you the request letter. Others you must obtain and send with your application. This link should help:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/where.html

If your wife needs a pcc from Netherlands only, then she has to send it with her application, as advised here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/netherlands.html

Last edited:

Whalla

Aug 23, 2023
She would do a virtual landing if physically in canada (computers and stuff), same end result as passport submission.

BUT: I'd recommend she submit passport and get the visa and land at the airport. It is quicker and more reliable in most cases. Should only take a couple weeks or less to do in PK and big advantage is she would arrive in Canada and could work the next day.

Getting in queue for virtual landing is less reliable and more uncertain in timing.
I am interested in the fact that the spouse can work the next day after landing in Canada. Does one not need to apply for OPW before starting work ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am interested in the fact that the spouse can work the next day after landing in Canada. Does one not need to apply for OPW before starting work ?
A PR does not need a work permit. If your spouse arrives on the TRV, will not have the right to work as a PR.

If spouse is LANDING* - that is, becoming a PR, not just arriving on a TRV - then the spouse/PR has the right to work as a PR. (Should apply for SIN# but that can be done at airport, where they issue SIN# on the spot - and in fact can work without SIN if has applied for one; at any rate, SIN# is simple to get if you have landed as a PR).

That's why I'm saying it is worthwhile to send passport for update visa and COPR BEFORE coming to Canada on a TRV. It may take some time (possibly months) to get the virtual landing. Land as a PR - you have the right to work, period.

*'Landing' is a somewhat archaic usage that is not official anymore, but means to become a PR by administratively 'landing.' It doesn't just mean arriving in Canada on any of the other types of rights of entry (eg TRV).

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalla and ERCAN

raghupb05

Jul 22, 2023
Hello everyone. I applied for my spousal PR in the month of April and it got rejected and then I reapplied it on 1st July and I got my AOR on 7 September. I already submitted my medicals and the status shows I passed my medical exam. When can I expect my biometrics? Please guide me.

hoangnguyen864

Star Member
Apr 21, 2023
I received an update yesterday -:
Final decision
  • September 7, 2023 Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Any idea what that means ?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Did anyone ordered gcms notes from CBSA recently? How long did it take?
Ordered mine over 60 days ago, still no reply, no notice of extension, nothing... :(

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Btw, did you find it valuable overall? I remember your skepticism.
Well, it was probably worth the 5 bucks.

The notes raised some issues that I would never have expected to be issues. I set that out in detail here on the forum. I have not taken time this morning to go back and find the thread, but it's there. @armoured came up with some helpful responses to my concerns about the IRCC concerns. In essence, he thought what I was seeing were the musings of a junior officer and, in the end, there should be nothing to fret about.

So, the most recent notes I received related to my wife's PR application, submitted last November. I ordered notes once before, on the occasion of her first TRV refusal in early 2000. That time, the notes were a total waste. They added not a scintilla of information to the boilerplate language of the refusal letter. They contained the identical nonsense transcribed into the refusal. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured and ERCAN

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The notes raised some issues that I would never have expected to be issues. It set that out in detail here on the forum. I have not taken time this morning to go back and find the thread, but it's there. @armoured came up with some helpful responses to my concerns about the IRCC concerns. In essence, he thought what I was seeing were the musings of as junior officer and, in the end, there should be nothing to fret about.
Unfortunately even that helpful part is extremely limited in volume and content compared to the size of the irrelevant stuff (well, irrelevant to anyone outside IRCC). It's relatively rare that gcms notes are helpful - but still better than nothing.

So, the most recent notes I received related to my wife's PR application, submitted last November. I ordered notes once before, on the occasion of her first TRV refusal in early 2000. That time, the notes were a total waste. They added not a scintilla of information to the boilerplate language of the refusal letter. They contained the identical nonsense transcribed into the refusal. Nothing more.
Yes, for most TRVs I suspect there is not much more than the boilerplate there. The volume of TRVs is simply such that the design of the TRV program is for IRCC staff to spend as little time as possible on each file (and increasingly supported, I assume, by computers and algorithms).

It's a large number of files per year: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2021.html#tr

Given cost recovery guidelines, trvs would likely have to be quite a bit more expensive if staff were to spend much more time on each file.

Reactions: Kaibigan

Moe1996

Apr 26, 2023
Hello,

I Got a request - Supplementary Information ; Travel history update for the past 10 years.

When should I expect the PPR after I update it?

Thanks.