+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! Yes, we're all good in that department.
So what may likely happen at the border? What do things tend to look like at the arrival?
I guess I also have to be straightforward about my coming. But to which extent?
Do I still get a return ticket? Sorry so many questions...
They will likely ask what purpose of visit is. Saying tourism / visit is not a lie if that is one of purposes. Fro those with eg French passports, that is often the end of it, although may also ask where staying / with whom / visiting whom. Length of stay is another question; fine to say a couple of months.

Some here believe having a return ticket is a must - I think that's no longer the case as so common to get tickets on internet, or - esp for European visitors - say plan to go to states and return from there. (This may be less applicable for visitors from places where tickets are more difficult or very expensive).

Note, if travelling with spouse, questioning may get more extensive. It's also okay to say plan to apply for sponsorship 'at some point' but 'haven't finalized plans.' Obviously also helps if someplace and job to return to; again, can be vague about 'things to deal with / affairs to wrap up [at home] before moving'.

Important to note: don't lie. You just don't have to go into detail or volunteer that much extra. Brief factual answers.

If you're very worried, travel separately from spouse.

My personal experience and knowledge from contacts is that it is fairly rare* that they bar entry to and make visitors from ETA countries get on an immediate flight leaving - excluding obviously situations where someone has outright done something that forbids entry such as serious criminality. More common is they might go into more questioning and try to push to catch someone in an outright lie, but failing that, they kind of give them a lecture - which amounts to exactly nothing in meaning. You can still turn around and send the application tomorrow, you're allowed to, ahem, 'change your mind.'

Also note - there is no bar on someone entering with plans to apply for sponsorship, as long as they also have plans to make it a visit (unless their PR status comes through first) and will respect the law / terms of entry i.e. leave when they are no longer allowed to stay. But planning to 'leave when no longer allowed to stay' does not preclude one applying for and receiving extensions, being allowed to stay under some other status, etc., etc.

[This is technically called dual intent but I don't like to use the term and suggest others don't use it with CBSA]

* Someone will counter 'they know a case.' I'm sure there are cases. I'm saying it's fairly rare.

Reactions: andrews.juchem

CBarr

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Pretty much what @armoured said was our experience at the border, if not even easier. In our case we decided to play it extra safe and have a return ticket, but we ended up not needing it. We bought it on the same day we traveled so we could catch the 24h full refund window. Purpose of visit: tourism, staying where: toronto at friend's house, staying how long: 4 weeks, and that was it. Spouse had an ETA.

iamkran

Star Member
Oct 6, 2015
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
App. Filed.......
22-05-2018
Nomination.....
26-04-2018
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
22-10-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
No need
Passport Req..
Upront with application
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-12-2015
Hi, As a sponser what address proof can I use? I don’t have a driver license.

iamkran

Star Member
Oct 6, 2015
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
App. Filed.......
22-05-2018
Nomination.....
26-04-2018
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
22-10-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
No need
Passport Req..
Upront with application
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-12-2015
Did they ask for proof?
Oh I think proof isn’t asked there in family class application. Wrong forum (my bad). Was asking for visitor visa application where proof of residence is asked.

basically, we are trying to get the visitor visa forst before applying the PR. Since the visitor visa are coming faster now. Hopefully if things go alright then will apply inland pr application once my wife is here. Also seems like the visitor visa can be converted to work permit which will be big plus if we get that and in parallel the pr application will go

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh I think proof isn’t asked there in family class application. Wrong forum (my bad). Was asking for visitor visa application where proof of residence is asked.

basically, we are trying to get the visitor visa forst before applying the PR. Since the visitor visa are coming faster now. Hopefully if things go alright then will apply inland pr application once my wife is here. Also seems like the visitor visa can be converted to work permit which will be big plus if we get that and in parallel the pr application will go
There's no sponsor on a visitor visa app either. At any rate -ask in the trv forum.

Reactions: YVR123

Nunavut28

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Do we have to notify IRCC if the PA needs to leave Canada for a short period while inland application in progress. If yes how is that done? PA has a valid OWP and a multiple-entry visitor visa
did you get the answer, we're in the same situation. we're planning to leave within 3 weeks, and my wife will enter via OPW in Canada.

Hussey48

Apr 11, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if is it possible to get PPR extension for a couple of months. Because of my current personal situation its not possible to get the PPR done.

Please help me with some option?
Plus will it end up in losing the PR if i miss the deadline ?

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if is it possible to get PPR extension for a couple of months. Because of my current personal situation its not possible to get the PPR done.

Please help me with some option?
Plus will it end up in losing the PR if i miss the deadline ?
It clearly tells you in the Passport Request letter that if you cannot meet the 30-day submission deadline to send a webform immediately and explain why or your application will be considered abandoned.

Asinerate

Sep 9, 2018
Hi guys, I have few questions regarding IMM 5532 part C question 7.

7. Do you close friends, family or children know about your relationship?
A lot of people know, should I put 5 only? Also regarding "date they met sponsor or PA", does online video chat count as 'meet'?

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023
Could someone help me understand the process to apply for Spousal PR Application for Canada?
About Myself:
I am a Canadian PR, Indian National & Citizen. I came to India for my marriage after spending around 9 months in Canada. Currently living and working in India post marriage and planning to move back to Canada in next 2-3 months.
About My Husband: Indian National & Citizen - I need to apply for his Spousal PR.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Could someone help me understand the process to apply for Spousal PR Application for Canada?
About Myself:
I am a Canadian PR, Indian National & Citizen. I came to India for my marriage after spending around 9 months in Canada. Currently living and working in India post marriage and planning to move back to Canada in next 2-3 months.
About My Husband: Indian National & Citizen - I need to apply for his Spousal PR.
You should not apply before you return to Canada. Otherwise, just follow the instructions.

If you have specific questions, ask them.

Nunavut28

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Good morning guys,
PR application portal, there's proof of status but it's an outland application, what should we upload as a proof?

Apr 12, 2023
You should not apply before you return to Canada. Otherwise, just follow the instructions.

If you have specific questions, ask them.
Thanks @armoured for your reply on my query. I get your point that initiating my spouse's PR application makes more sense once I go back to Canada and apply for Outland Spousal Sponsorship from there. Right? Meanwhile, shall my spouse raise a request for visitor visa for himself instead- just to keep door open for him to visit me in Canada before the PR thing works out for him as it will take a long time like at least a year. Does it make sense/ In case of any kind of emergency, if he needs to travel to and visit me in Canada, he can do that once his travel visa is approved. Is it correct? Please clarify for me.