+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Paddyj66

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
After applying for spousal sponsorship with my girlfriend as the main applicant. If we were to then fly to Canada, how quickly could she obtain an open work permit whilst the spousal sponsorship processes?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
After applying for spousal sponsorship with my girlfriend as the main applicant. If we were to then fly to Canada, how quickly could she obtain an open work permit whilst the spousal sponsorship processes?
If you are applying for her under outland, she would not be eligible for open work permit - would be allowed to work only upon receipt of PR status.

She can apply under other programs of course.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello, need technical help on how to sign PDF forms where IRCC is asking, "You must sign this form electronically, no print out or scan" and on the other hand, PDF is not allowing to e-signature. any tips, would be helpful?
When you upload the doc there will be a screen that comes up where it will ask you type in your name, it will say that by doing that you are signing it electronically.

ABWAQAR

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
When you upload the doc there will be a screen that comes up where it will ask you type in your name, it will say that by doing that you are signing it electronically.
Thank you! I have tried it for the "Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation Form" but it is not asking for typing my name electronically. It is just uploading without asking for a signature or type of name. Whereas the form "Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement, and Undertaking" asks to type the name and it will be accepted as an electronic signature.

Gauti_2023

Mar 10, 2023
is the spousal sponsorship(outland) application processed faster if spouse had already been declared non-accompanying during sponsor PR application...can someone share their own experience and timeline for such cases

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you! I have tried it for the "Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation Form" but it is not asking for typing my name electronically. It is just uploading without asking for a signature or type of name. Whereas the form "Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement, and Undertaking" asks to type the name and it will be accepted as an electronic signature.
Not all forms ask for the E signature, usually just the main App form I believe. The others you have to print, sign, scan then upload.

Nunavut28

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
good afternoon guys,

we applied OWP yesterday but we haven't received any automatic email that confirms my application has been received. is it normal or we don't receive any auto email?

your assistance is so much appreciated.

Kknewb

May 30, 2022
Do we have to notify IRCC if the PA needs to leave Canada for a short period while inland application in progress. If yes how is that done? PA has a valid OWP and a multiple-entry visitor visa

Paddyj66

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
So my girlfriend and I are trying to do this spousal sponsorship and have come up against an issue. The question 'current relationship status', if you put 'divorced' then it doesn't allow you to carry on and says divorced isn't allowed in the spousal sponsorship category. However 2 questions later it asked whether you have been previously married, in contradiction to the previous question. Confusing. My partner has been divorced a year and a half. We are confused and need clarification in what category we should be applying under if not spousal.

worldFrenchy

Apr 7, 2023
Hi, I hope you're all well.

I've a question. My husband is a Chinese permanent resident of Canada. I am French. Never set foot in Canada before. We're both currently in China and are planning to move to Canada this year.
I am wondering if I should apply for an ETA? In that case do I mention to the border guard that I am with him to stay with him? Do I still need to show I am planning to get out? We thought of having me getting an ETA and then as soon as we're in, send an application for spousal visa to the province.
I am a bit worried tbh. Not sure how to go about it.

Can you guys enlighten me?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So my girlfriend and I are trying to do this spousal sponsorship and have come up against an issue. The question 'current relationship status', if you put 'divorced' then it doesn't allow you to carry on and says divorced isn't allowed in the spousal sponsorship category. However 2 questions later it asked whether you have been previously married, in contradiction to the previous question. Confusing. My partner has been divorced a year and a half. We are confused and need clarification in what category we should be applying under if not spousal.
The question is about your current relationship status i.e. with respect to each other, not previous relationships.

You say girlfriend - are you common law?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I hope you're all well.

I've a question. My husband is a Chinese permanent resident of Canada. I am French. Never set foot in Canada before. We're both currently in China and are planning to move to Canada this year.
I am wondering if I should apply for an ETA? In that case do I mention to the border guard that I am with him to stay with him? Do I still need to show I am planning to get out? We thought of having me getting an ETA and then as soon as we're in, send an application for spousal visa to the province.
I am a bit worried tbh. Not sure how to go about it.

Can you guys enlighten me?
-Your spouse cannot sponsor you while abroad.
-If you are not a PR, you need an ETA.
Hence, you need an ETA.

-You are better to arrive as a visitor. While generally they do not ask much detail of ETA visitors, you may if you show up obviously planning to stay (eg with all worldly belongings and ask how to arrange your shipment). Otherwise yes you can enter and then apply for sponsorship. You will not be able to work while waiting, mostly.

-Important, your spouse MUST be in compliance with their residency obligation (i.e. 730 days of last five years in Canada as of the date of arrival/application for sponsorship).

worldFrenchy

Apr 7, 2023
-Your spouse cannot sponsor you while abroad.
-If you are not a PR, you need an ETA.
Hence, you need an ETA.

-You are better to arrive as a visitor. While generally they do not ask much detail of ETA visitors, you may if you show up obviously planning to stay (eg with all worldly belongings and ask how to arrange your shipment). Otherwise yes you can enter and then apply for sponsorship. You will not be able to work while waiting, mostly.

-Important, your spouse MUST be in compliance with their residency obligation (i.e. 730 days of last five years in Canada as of the date of arrival/application for sponsorship).
Thank you! Yes, we're all good in that department.
So what may likely happen at the border? What do things tend to look like at the arrival?
I guess I also have to be straightforward about my coming. But to which extent?
Do I still get a return ticket? Sorry so many questions...