+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
Marriage would allow her to sponsor you as long as you are living together full time (not just on weekends and holidays).

If you aren't living together full time, there really aren't any options for her to sponsor you.
Thanks scylla

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You need to be in Canada to sponsor and need work letters bla bla bla.
Heck no way I am living in Canada for 22 months alone.

Is it going to slow or affect the appllication if out of 22 months i Spent 8 to 12 months in India. ???
First, note that while the 'timeline' tool (or whatever it's called) is showing up to 22 months (or close to that), this is a backward-looking measure. They actually just stopped updating it at all during covid.

So expect those times to fall as backlog gets worked on.

Second, that timeline (up to X months) is for ~80% of files to be done in that period of time. Look at the tracker - a great number, probably half, were/are done in even 6-8 months.

As for your main question.

Yes, there are cases of files being held up and delayed for long periods of time or even turned down because the sponsor was not in Canada.

There's no specific period of time that one can say is clearly okay, except 'short trips.' Short trips not defined, except that pretty obviously trips that would be about the length of paid leave in most Canadian companies (under a month) would be covered. (No-one can say about multiple trips but you can be quite sure that more time out of Canada than in would likely not be covered).

Beyond that - no-one knows. It's up to you. Some here will claim that, basically, don't worry because they or some-guy-that-talked-to-a-guy was away and they didn't get caught. And no-one here would likely claim that 'enforcement' of this rule is strict.

That doesn't mean it's not enforced at all.

I'd also be one of the first to say that speeding in Ontario - within reason - is not strictly enforced and you might get away with it, don't worry about it too much. I had a very good record in that respect until a couple weeks ago.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have applied for my spouse's application.(outland) i am a pr working in canada as of now.

I have 1 question.

I want to spend some time in home country .I really have no reason to live and work in canada while application is under process.(A rule to make you suffer loneliness) You need to be in Canada to sponsor and need work letters bla bla bla. I JUST came here to sponsor her and save money to stay in India for long durations (leaving work in Canada and leaving rental place for 8 to 12 months out of 22months time).

Heck no way I am living in Canada for 22 months alone.

Is it going to slow or affect the appllication if out of 22 months i Spent 8 to 12 months in India. ???

I will divide time slots out of 22months like 6 here and 6.momths there.....cost of.living in India is peanuts if you have $ saved and I own house and rent alone here is you guys know better.

6 months food ,water ,electricity in india costs less than 1momth rent in Canada.

I also need some minor surgeries done in India.
Good chance the application is going to be refused if you spend that long in India.

yonkokaido94

Dec 23, 2020
Hllo

I applied for my spouze sponsorship outland march 2022.I am pr in Canada.

I want to do some courses in India like learn coding ,learn driving, as they are less costly. (Basics only).Piles surgery and lower back treatment.(fast healthcare but lil bit costly )and( i Have family to take care myself)

I want to spent atleast 4months in India this year. I REALLY need to go To India for these things.

In Canada all i can do is work and pay rent. Too tired and depressed to learn or do anything other than work.

Honestly i can write a letter to ircc and beg them.

4months is not a big issue.. By that time application might already be done.

Possible to do this ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hllo

I applied for my spouze sponsorship outland march 2022.I am pr in Canada.

I want to do some courses in India like learn coding ,learn driving, as they are less costly. (Basics only).Piles surgery and lower back treatment.(fast healthcare but lil bit costly )and( i Have family to take care myself)

I want to spent atleast 4months in India this year. I REALLY need to go To India for these things.

In Canada all i can do is work and pay rent. Too tired and depressed to learn or do anything other than work.

Honestly i can write a letter to ircc and beg them.

4months is not a big issue.. By that time application might already be done.

Possible to do this ?
There's no mechanism to write and get approval. There's no 'exception' that I'm aware of for specific reasons. And no mechanism to get them approved in advance or after. If refused, you could appeal, but that would probably be longer than starting over.

Could it work out for you if you went like this and not have a problem? Maybe. No-one can tell you.

I believe that once your spouse gets passport request though you could safely go and you'd have until the COPR validity expires.

To ask a rather obvious question, have you applied for tRV for your spouse? At least if that came through you wouldnt be apart so long.

Reactions: USCAN2019

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, hope you are all ok
My spouse wants to sponsor me as a common law partner....but
1. I am a failed refugee claimant at all stages actually just expecting a call from CBSA anytime.
2. We lived together for 3 months and she left becoz of another partner she found. So we don't have 12months on same address and are still living apart
3. We got back and do so many things together though we don't have a joint account

How would our situation be considered in terms of approval?
1/ You are NOT C/law as s/he has found another C/Law partner.and then returned. You need 12 months of cohabitation.

Reactions: naaka

mikunn85

Oct 17, 2019
PLZ REPLY
FAIMLY SPONSORSHIP
MY APPLICATION SUBMITTED ON JULY 31st 2020
MEDICAL ON APRIL 2021
BIOMETRICS ON OCTOBER 2021
REMEDICAL DONE ON 15 MARCH 2022
WAITING FROM 20 MONTHS CAN ANY ONE TELL WHEN CAN I EXPECT PPR
I AM FRUSTRATED PLZ TELL ME ANYONE ALSO WAITING LIKE ME:(o_O:eek::rolleyes::confused::(:(
I'm July 2020 and still waiting

waitingformyspouse

Star Member
Mar 30, 2022
Hi everyone, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience?
In PR tracker, it shows all the steps are ‘Completed’. Any idea how long it takes after that? Also since everything is completed, we have had 2 ghost updates. May 4 and today May 11.

jyothis890

Star Member
Nov 20, 2015
Hi all

I’m planning to sponsor my wife and I’m gathering documents at the moment. My wife is working and she doesn’t need my financial support, but in past when we were in relationship before marriage I transferred Money to my spouse’s account couple of times not huge amount, just 100$ or less. I sent this because when she was short of money even though she was working at that time. I used Remitly app to do this transfer and I have the receipts for that, so my question is, under which section I can upload these receipts, because it confuses me proof of financial support means you have to continuously support her right? What I have I couple of receipts ( to be exact 8) which shows I send her money in the past. Any thoughts?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’m planning to sponsor my wife and I’m gathering documents at the moment. My wife is working and she doesn’t need my financial support, but in past when we were in relationship before marriage I transferred Money to my spouse’s account couple of times not huge amount, just 100$ or less. I sent this because when she was short of money even though she was working at that time. I used Remitly app to do this transfer and I have the receipts for that, so my question is, under which section I can upload these receipts, because it confuses me proof of financial support means you have to continuously support her right? What I have I couple of receipts ( to be exact 8) which shows I send her money in the past. Any thoughts?
Show a bit of what you have and short letter of explanation (spouse does not need financial support). No, it doestn' need to be continuous support.

Note, context is not that one spouse must support the other, but that one common perception or factor of marriage is 'joint / shared household' including expenses. Obviously if both work and currently live apart, that may require less need to join finances (and some things like joint accounts are less common in some countries). Context matters, and you can explain (briefly, factually).

But you can still show some joint aspects eg by one paying for things both benefit from, eg household, wedding expenses, travel/vacation expenses, etc. How much you think is needed to demonstrate that is something you have to balance against other aspects of your application.

Maulin@76

Sep 3, 2020
Hi All,
I have a question regarding birth certificate requirement for spousal sponsorship. I am canadian Pr and living inside Canada. I am sponsoring my wife from India and she doesn't have a birth certificate and she can't get one. Can I submit affidavit from her and her parents stating her date of birth and place of birth and names of her parents and attach other supporting documents like School leaving certificate, marksheets , passport copy etc with that? Please advice.