+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020
I guess the best bet her for her is to submit another web form,citing the previous one.Moreover,she should explain all her steps taken meanwhile and seek for immediate attention on the same.
If she can connect by call so that the expedite her concern(MAYBE)
Moreover, if her lawyer is an registered IRCC lawyer his/her advise would definitely have something concrete.
I hope i could help.
Yeah her lawyer is a registered IRCC lawyer. She told them that she has raised webform and they don’t need to worry over it.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
Does anyone know if your receipt number (R123456789) gets converted to your file number, as the same number: first with the prefix for a temporary file as X and then to F, when it becomes an actual file?

Apologies if this is confirmed elsewhere, but I haven’t seen it.

Thanks in advance.

LL

Reactions: jacksmith1980

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Does anyone know if your receipt number (R123456789) gets converted to your file number, as the same number: first with the prefix for a temporary file as X and then to F, when it becomes an actual file?

Apologies if this is confirmed elsewhere, but I haven’t seen it.

Thanks in advance.

LL
No it doesn't.

Wisco85

Oct 15, 2020
You can either apply now ('outland') or when you are already in Canada ('inland'), which you could do by going to Canada tomorrow or later in future. Hard to say which may be faster. Inland - can get work permit while being processed, but work permit takes 4-6 months normally, who knows in covid times. If you apply now (outland) before you are in Canada, you will have to demonstrate your plans to return to Canada (job offer pretty good for those purposes).

Outland - no work permit while waiting for file to be finalized.

As US citizen, no visa required (visa waiver). Once in Canada, visit can be extended if file not complete after the six months usually allowed visitors.

Only wrinkle is that at border, can conceivably be refused if officer not convinced applicant will return, ie should not present as 'moving'. For US citizens, officers usually less strict on this point, but perhaps not a good idea to arrive at border with all worldly possessions. (Fine of course if you are moving and spouse 'helping you settle.')
Thanks for the input! Per your last paragraph ("Only wrinkle..."), do we even want to bother mentioning anything to the Canadian border officials about the Permanent Residency Application? Or just go into Canada like we might if visiting family (which I guess means it's a temporary visa). Or do I need to present as "moving" as you say, and she is just "helping"?

We are about to mail in our permanent residency application and spousal sponsorship application. And we want to move in four months to Canada. So we are just trying to predict how this move should be conducted if we don't have approval of our applications by then. I see no reason why they will not be approved. I have a job in Canada, am a US+CAD citizen, etc, etc so I cannot imagine any reason for rejection if everything is squeaky clean.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the input! Per your last paragraph ("Only wrinkle..."), do we even want to bother mentioning anything to the Canadian border officials about the Permanent Residency Application? Or just go into Canada like we might if visiting family (which I guess means it's a temporary visa). Or do I need to present as "moving" as you say, and she is just "helping"?

We are about to mail in our permanent residency application and spousal sponsorship application. And we want to move in four months to Canada. So we are just trying to predict how this move should be conducted if we don't have approval of our applications by then. I see no reason why they will not be approved. I have a job in Canada, am a US+CAD citizen, etc, etc so I cannot imagine any reason for rejection if everything is squeaky clean.
If you have already applied when you cross the border, definitely do not deny that there is the PR application in process. Doesn't mean you have to volunteer that, but do not lie.

It's not an obvious thing at border: they may not care, they are likely to be far more interested in self-isolation plans in accordance with law, or they may show some interest.

About the most one can say is that if your spouse is clearly moving - UHaul with all worldly possessions - it might seem rather obvious (unless credible to say the possessions are all yours and helping you to settle in). And it's fine of course if the spouse is staying for a lengthy period of time (typically six months given at border), and may consider applying to extend/staying if/when the PR application is approved.

Best I can suggest is to reply in as calm and simple a manner as possible, "I'll return to the USA when needed and won't overstay." Obviously if the spouse has a plan to return to USA for any reason in the coming six months or so, mention that (even if it's a short-term trip back eg to visit family).

I think the reality is that they're not overly concerned about US citizens with Canadian spouses. But it's still not a guarantee. Just note, due to covid, files are moving slower than before and there's a backlog. Still seems USA applicants are getting approved relatively quickly, but that still may not be quick.

(BTW once in Canada you both should update addresses with IRCC. IRCC wont' care if he's in country 'temporarily but for a lengthy stay.' For you will likely help file - approval of you as sponsor - that you've already returned. From what I've seen applications where sponsor-Cdn citizen is abroad usually have a note that the examining officer of the PA should also check the plans to return; it's not clear to me how seriously they do this but you fulfilling plan and taking job/moving at least removes that question.)

Apr 18, 2019
I am Canadian PR living in Canada. My marriage is fixed in Oct 2021, the girl is in India. In order to get the visa sooner I am planning to travel to India in Feb 2021 and do legal marriage, I come back say in March and apply for my spouse. Whoever done the same way, let me know your thoughts about this approach..What main things i should take care and any right pointers will be greatly appreciated, I am totally new to this forum. Thanks.

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
I am Canadian PR living in Canada. My marriage is fixed in Oct 2021, the girl is in India. In order to get the visa sooner I am planning to travel to India in Feb 2021 and do legal marriage, I come back say in March and apply for my spouse. Whoever done the same way, let me know your thoughts about this approach..What main things i should take care and any right pointers will be greatly appreciated, I am totally new to this forum. Thanks.
You must stay with her 2-3 months as I did with mine :) But be4 marriage also 2-3 weeks ANy other Qs please ask me here
Truly Uncle

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Paul09

Sonali1990

Aug 25, 2017
Hello,
when you apply for spousal PR on basis of marriage, you will need to provide the proof of ceremonies. There is a form in the application where you write which ceremony was done on what date and how many people attended that function.

if you are thinking of just doing court marriage and apply for PR, immigration might think that it is for the purpose of PR only.

Or, you might explain your situation clearly and truly say that you will be doing cultural ceremonies later in the year. Just be Truthfu.

I would suggest you to ask some lawyer or agent first, so that they can guide you, how to properly do everything.

And, this is my personal opinion and if i am wrong, someone in the forum can correct me.

Thanks

Apr 18, 2019
Hello,
when you apply for spousal PR on basis of marriage, you will need to provide the proof of ceremonies. There is a form in the application where you write which ceremony was done on what date and how many people attended that function.

if you are thinking of just doing court marriage and apply for PR, immigration might think that it is for the purpose of PR only.

Or, you might explain your situation clearly and truly say that you will be doing cultural ceremonies later in the year. Just be Truthfu.

I would suggest you to ask some lawyer or agent first, so that they can guide you, how to properly do everything.

And, this is my personal opinion and if i am wrong, someone in the forum can correct me.

Thanks
Hello,

Thanks
Thank you for the info, appreciate it. As of now I am inclined to the option of getting legally married and telling them cultural ceremonies are planned for Oct. When the file is in progress I can travel to India in Oct right? I read that there is a rule that I must live in Canada during processing time, but I guess such visit for doing cultural marriage should be ok.

Apr 18, 2019
You must stay with her 2-3 months as I did with mine :) But be4 marriage also 2-3 weeks ANy other Qs please ask me here
Truly Uncle
Okay Thanks for your inputs. Is it possible to bring the girl to Canada right after marriage? after my ceremonial marriage in Oct...I guess the file processing time is approx 1 year or more considering this covid situation too. Suppose I do legal marriage in Feb and apply spousal sponsorship and side by side can I apply for visitor visa under family category? Just trying to explore all the options.

Reactions: Sonali1990

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Okay Thanks for your inputs. Is it possible to bring the girl to Canada right after marriage? after my ceremonial marriage in Oct...I guess the file processing time is approx 1 year or more considering this covid situation too. Suppose I do legal marriage in Feb and apply spousal sponsorship and side by side can I apply for visitor visa under family category? Just trying to explore all the options.
  1. Is it possible to bring the girl to Canada right after marriage?=NO OR ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE I wish I could bring her(my wife) with me too :)
  2. It may take 1 year sometimes 8 months in total depends on many factors; like no. of apps, covid etc etc.
  3. You can try for her TRV but again , U MUST prove that she will go back or she is coming for Phd admission or something pre-approved OTHERWISE A NO NO.

Reactions: Bhupinder Singh08