Spousal sponsorship

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah but I doubt IRCC will keep checking with CBSA on a regular basis every PR sponsor cross border activity, especially now with covid.
They do 1 check when doing SA check, but after that no more. It's just not in the budget.
Once you got SA, you're good2go
And yet, many have been refused well after sponsor approval for being out of Canada, so not good to go....

bian07

May 19, 2017
A requirement for the in-canada class is also that the principal applicant resides in Canada during the process, leaving for a few months is against this requirement.

"Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.
If your spouse or common-law partner leaves Canada before becoming a permanent resident, they may not be allowed to come back. This is especially true if they need a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA to enter Canada.
If your spouse or partner can’t return to Canada, you must submit a new overseas sponsorship application."

this is also in the complete guide for sponsorship. here is the link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada

questforthemapleleaf

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Hi,

I have a couple of very specific questions regarding Family Class Sponsorship. I was hoping this forum and the wonderful people here would be able to help me like always.
My case - I landed in Toronto via EE-FSWP route on 24th January, 2020. I included my wife and son (2.5yo) in my file as unaccompanying. I want to initiate Family Class Sponsorship for them now. I’m working full time under my registered incorporation for a US client with whom I have been associated for 5+ years.
Questions -
1. Financial proof - I haven’t filed taxes in Canada yet. I do have my business and personal account statements showing credits since February. Can I provide these statements in place of a tax return document?
2. Wife’s address - When I filed my own PR, I had put in my wife’s address as, say A (her parents’ house) as that is still her official address (mentioned in her passport). However she had been staying with me in my house, address B (same city), since marriage. While applying for FCS, I understand it is important to show that we had been living in the same address. Now I’m confused if I should put address A or B in her IMM5669 for the entire duration after marriage. Putting address A would mean she wasn't staying with me after marriage. Putting address B will cause a mis-match with her existing file. Or can I put both with an explanation (on another blank paper) about one being her official address and another her actual residential address?

Thanks for your help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I have a couple of very specific questions regarding Family Class Sponsorship. I was hoping this forum and the wonderful people here would be able to help me like always.
My case - I landed in Toronto via EE-FSWP route on 24th January, 2020. I included my wife and son (2.5yo) in my file as unaccompanying. I want to initiate Family Class Sponsorship for them now. I’m working full time under my registered incorporation for a US client with whom I have been associated for 5+ years.
Questions -
1. Financial proof - I haven’t filed taxes in Canada yet. I do have my business and personal account statements showing credits since February. Can I provide these statements in place of a tax return document?
2. Wife’s address - When I filed my own PR, I had put in my wife’s address as, say A (her parents’ house) as that is still her official address (mentioned in her passport). However she had been staying with me in my house, address B (same city), since marriage. While applying for FCS, I understand it is important to show that we had been living in the same address. Now I’m confused if I should put address A or B in her IMM5669 for the entire duration after marriage. Putting address A would mean she wasn't staying with me after marriage. Putting address B will cause a mis-match with her existing file. Or can I put both with an explanation (on another blank paper) about one being her official address and another her actual residential address?

Thanks for your help.
1. You don't need to provide formal proof like tax returns that your income is such-and-such, just that you will be able to support, and there is no specific minimum income level required. Choose whatever documents support and are easy to understand, incl eg savings and income/revenue, contracts, etc.
2. Just my opinion, put address B and as you suggest, a short explanation that in previous file you put official address per her passport. But in this application, most important to put factual address of where she was living (even if periods separate from you). (Note I believe you should have put actual domicile in previous app, but explanation likely sufficient)

questforthemapleleaf

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
1. You don't need to provide formal proof like tax returns that your income is such-and-such, just that you will be able to support, and there is no specific minimum income level required. Choose whatever documents support and are easy to understand, incl eg savings and income/revenue, contracts, etc.
2. Just my opinion, put address B and as you suggest, a short explanation that in previous file you put official address per her passport. But in this application, most important to put factual address of where she was living (even if periods separate from you). (Note I believe you should have put actual domicile in previous app, but explanation likely sufficient)
Thanks for your response. I do feel now I should have put her domicile address in the original application, but back then I wasn't aware of sponsorship application details and it seemed prudent to put her official address as per passport. I'll write an explanation on a separate sheet. Hope it suffices.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Questions -

Thanks for your help.
You can't sponsor your family until you are living in Canada.

questforthemapleleaf

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
You can't sponsor your family until you are living in Canada.
Sorry for the confusion. I am living in Canada. My wife is living in address B in India. I meant since my marriage until I came to Canada, we stayed together in address B. But my wife's address according to passport was A and that's what I had put in her address history in the family section of my PR application.
Now for family sponsorship, in her IMM5669, I'm wondering whether to mention address A (which would mean she wasn't staying with me) or address B (which would cause a mis-match in address history with her existing file) or both (overlapping dates - 7 years) with an explanation. Please note, address A and B are in the same city (20-odd kms apart).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry for the confusion. I am living in Canada. My wife is living in address B in India. I meant since my marriage until I came to Canada, we stayed together in address B. But my wife's address according to passport was A and that's what I had put in her address history in the family section of my PR application.
Now for family sponsorship, in her IMM5669, I'm wondering whether to mention address A (which would mean she wasn't staying with me) or address B (which would cause a mis-match in address history with her existing file) or both (overlapping dates - 7 years) with an explanation. Please note, address A and B are in the same city (20-odd kms apart).
You need to put the actual address where she is living. IRCC doesn't care what address is listed in her passport. You never should have used an address she wasn't actually living at. Include a letter of explanation for the mistake.

Canjeero

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I'm sending off my application, is there any consequence in paying the 550$ instead of the full amount. With the current pandemic and longer waiting period anyways, I prefer to pay partial fees.....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm sending off my application, is there any consequence in paying the 550$ instead of the full amount. With the current pandemic and longer waiting period anyways, I prefer to pay partial fees.....
Potential further delay at the end when IRCC has to request the RPRF.

Reactions: Canjeero

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Don't count on being good to go, if you want to take the chance of losing the app then go for it. All of the provincial health care systems know if you are out of the country so IRCC knowing is a given. Probably brings up a flag on you in their system. They all share the info between agencies.
Then post a government link stating that . Until then , “ I know for fact “, is like “ Yah Ok “, taking that with a grain of salt
While I don't agree with what else Danik has said, the part about provincial health care systems is true. Nothing to do with health card expiry. There is really no open information-sharing between most government agencies/departments. Provincial health only knows a person is out of Canada if the person actually tells them. If IRCC wanted information about a person from a provincial health authority, they would need authorization from that person or they would have to submit a formal request. This really only happens when IRCC is investigating fraud cases.