+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
While I don't agree with what else Danik has said, the part about provincial health care systems is true. Nothing to do with health card expiry. There is really no open information-sharing between most government agencies/departments. Provincial health only knows a person is out of Canada if the person actually tells them. If IRCC wanted information about a person from a provincial health authority, they would need authorization from that person or they would have to submit a formal request. This really only happens when IRCC is investigating fraud cases.
Have to disagree, when I was out of country for an extended period of time my company advised me my MSP was cxxd because I was out of country too long. A relative who spends many months in Mexico each winter said he knows a number of people down there in the same situation, then tried to use health care benefits coming back after extended period out of the country and were denied. MSP knew they were out of the country and for how long.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Have to disagree, when I was out of country for an extended period of time my company advised me my MSP was cxxd because I was out of country too long. A relative who spends many months in Mexico each winter said he knows a number of people down there in the same situation, then tried to use health care benefits coming back after extended period out of the country and were denied. MSP knew they were out of the country and for how long.
MSP has no access to CBSA/IRCC records, flight records or any other way of knowing someone is out of Canada unless they are told. In your case, as you were on a group plan, your company informed them. I have travelled extensively, for many extended periods of time, and MSP never knew unless I told them. My grandparents were part of a large snowbird community who left for 5-6 months per year and never had issues.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
MSP has no access to CBSA/IRCC records, flight records or any other way of knowing someone is out of Canada unless they are told. In your case, as you were on a group plan, your company informed them. I have travelled extensively, for many extended periods of time, and MSP never knew unless I told them. My grandparents were part of a large snowbird community who left for 5-6 months per year and never had issues.
Disagree again, I never told my company I was out of the country, that would have had far more negative implications more than losing MSP. Let's just agree to disagree. Not tell each other we are wrong. I have 1st had experience in the matter.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
While I don't agree with what else Danik has said, the part about provincial health care systems is true. Nothing to do with health card expiry. There is really no open information-sharing between most government agencies/departments. Provincial health only knows a person is out of Canada if the person actually tells them. If IRCC wanted information about a person from a provincial health authority, they would need authorization from that person or they would have to submit a formal request. This really only happens when IRCC is investigating fraud cases.
When I worked at EI, routinely files would be reassessed when the system would pickup that applicants were out of the country on vacation, when they said they were looking for work
ESDC knows when a person has been out of the country and when they arrived back because that information is sent to them from the CBSA
It says right on the customs card, that this information can be shared with other agencies to enforce policy & laws
It doesn’t specify which Government agency, so I assume everyone
When people sign that form , authorization is given

“ Information from this declaration will be used for CBSA control purposes, and may be shared with other government departments to enforce Canadian laws. For more information see Info Source (ref. no. CBSA PPU 018), at a public library or visit http://infosource.gc.ca.“

People would be genuinely surprised to receive a letter , in effect , that the government knew when they left & returned , and that they owe benefits back
All those cards & information go somewhere

I won’t go into details on how deep the US CBP can dig and get information, and everything is shared

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When I worked at EI, routinely files would be reassessed when the system would pickup that applicants were out of the country on vacation, when they said they were looking for work
ESDC knows when a person has been out of the country and when they arrived back because that information is sent to them from the CBSA
It says right on the customs card, that this information can be shared with other agencies to enforce policy & laws
It doesn’t specify which Government agency, so I assume everyone
When people sign that form , authorization is given

“ Information from this declaration will be used for CBSA control purposes, and may be shared with other government departments to enforce Canadian laws. For more information see Info Source (ref. no. CBSA PPU 018), at a public library or visit http://infosource.gc.ca.“

People would be genuinely surprised to receive a letter , in effect , that the government knew when they left & returned , and that they owe benefits back
All those cards & information go somewhere

I won’t go into details on how deep the US CBP can dig and get information, and everything is shared
It's not open sharing. CBSA doesn't just send entry information to other agencies and they don't even fully collect exit information yet. As I said, they release that information when they get a formal request from the other agency or when authorized by the person.

Minian

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
HEYYYYY guyssssss need help here!!!!!!! I think we received pre arrival may 21 ( yes our reprensent didnt see it till I call an gent that told me that we received someting may 21 ) !!! sorry the letter is in french !!
Here's what the letter says sorry it's in french

Bonjour,
Nous sommes heureux de vous informer que votre époux ou conjoint, les personnes à
votre charge et vous-même pouvez dès maintenant recevoir des services avant l’arrivée
gratuits, financés par le gouvernement du Canada. Ces services sont disponibles avant
votre arrivée et sont conçus et offerts afin de mieux vous préparer à la vie au Canada.
Les services avant l’arrivée sont offerts au nom d’Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté
Canada (IRCC) par des fournisseurs de services d’établissement. Ces fournisseurs de
services offrent gratuitement des renseignements pour vous aider à :
• vivre et travailler au Canada;
• faire reconnaître vos études, votre expérience de travail et vos permis d’exercice
et certificats professionnels au Canada;
• prendre contact avec des employeurs et obtenir des services de soutien gratuits à
votre arrivée au Canada, y compris une formation linguistique;
• prendre contact avec les gens de votre nouvelle communauté, y compris

But what I dont understand is that the agent I spoke with told me that security check is not started and that our medical is experied.
No DM on Ecas.
No update on gkeys !

We will reach 27 month june 8th . So please help me understant where they are at with our demand ?!
OUr representent told us that it means that they've complete our case and that our files is in Visa office but I dont trust them anymore and that's not what the agent told me this morning !!!!!!!

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
I think most provinces allow you to keep health coverage if you stay in Canada over 180 days per year.

onlymtl

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of submitting an application for Spousal sponsorship for my wife.

She is currently in Canada on a study permit and lives in a different city.

Based on what I have read in these forums and on CIC, I think I should apply for the Family class (not the Spouse In-Canada class) since we don't live together.

Can someone please confirm this? Am I missing anything?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HEYYYYY guyssssss need help here!!!!!!! I think we received pre arrival may 21 ( yes our reprensent didnt see it till I call an gent that told me that we received someting may 21 ) !!! sorry the letter is in french !!
Here's what the letter says sorry it's in french

Bonjour,
Nous sommes heureux de vous informer que votre époux ou conjoint, les personnes à
votre charge et vous-même pouvez dès maintenant recevoir des services avant l’arrivée
gratuits, financés par le gouvernement du Canada. Ces services sont disponibles avant
votre arrivée et sont conçus et offerts afin de mieux vous préparer à la vie au Canada.
Les services avant l’arrivée sont offerts au nom d’Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté
Canada (IRCC) par des fournisseurs de services d’établissement. Ces fournisseurs de
services offrent gratuitement des renseignements pour vous aider à :
• vivre et travailler au Canada;
• faire reconnaître vos études, votre expérience de travail et vos permis d’exercice
et certificats professionnels au Canada;
• prendre contact avec des employeurs et obtenir des services de soutien gratuits à
votre arrivée au Canada, y compris une formation linguistique;
• prendre contact avec les gens de votre nouvelle communauté, y compris

But what I dont understand is that the agent I spoke with told me that security check is not started and that our medical is experied.
No DM on Ecas.
No update on gkeys !

We will reach 27 month june 8th . So please help me understant where they are at with our demand ?!
OUr representent told us that it means that they've complete our case and that our files is in Visa office but I dont trust them anymore and that's not what the agent told me this morning !!!!!!!
The pre-arrival email doesn't mean approval. It could be a week or it could still be months. No one here can tell you how long.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I think most provinces allow you to keep health coverage if you stay in Canada over 180 days per year.
Many are even more lenient than that and have other special allowance. BC MSP, for example, allows snowbirds to stay out for up to 7 months. They also allow for a 2 year absence in every 5 year period where you can leave the country and still retain coverage.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of submitting an application for Spousal sponsorship for my wife.

She is currently in Canada on a study permit and lives in a different city.

Based on what I have read in these forums and on CIC, I think I should apply for the Family class (not the Spouse In-Canada class) since we don't live together.

Can someone please confirm this? Am I missing anything?
Yes, you must apply outland.

questforthemapleleaf

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Is IRCC allowing any document exceptions for Family (Spouse and child - outland) sponsorship applications? My wife needs a new PCC as the last one is from Feb 2019. Also, both my wife and son needs to get their photos clicked as per specifications. Due to lockdown situation, either of them will take a few months to be done.
Can I submit the application in the meanwhile noting the missing documents and send them later? I know IRCC hasn't released any official statement regarding this. But anyone with any recent experience regarding this or any advise based on the years of experience you guys have?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is IRCC allowing any document exceptions for Family (Spouse and child - outland) sponsorship applications? My wife needs a new PCC as the last one is from Feb 2019. Also, both my wife and son needs to get their photos clicked as per specifications. Due to lockdown situation, either of them will take a few months to be done.
Can I submit the application in the meanwhile noting the missing documents and send them later? I know IRCC hasn't released any official statement regarding this. But anyone with any recent experience regarding this or any advise based on the years of experience you guys have?
The official statement was released quite some time ago.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Application_intake

questforthemapleleaf

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Oh you mean this is valid for sponsorship applications as well! That's great news for me then. Thanks a ton.

I can send my application kit and would expect my sponsor status to be approved atleast. That would save some time.