+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Actually right now I dont have any status. The visitor visa I have applied for was to restore my status. My lawyer told me that to apply for OWP with the PR app, you need to have a valid status which I dont have. Is this true?
He told me that once the visitor visa is approved, only then we can send application for OWP. I searched online, and this thing was not clearly explained anywhere.
You need to apply for restoration of status not visitor visa if you are out of status, you have 90 days to do so
Your lawyer seems like he/she don't know s**t or you just didn't understand him/her
Visitor visa won't be accepted if you applied for it
What you apply for is restoration of status which costs 200$
You can apply for OWP if you are out of status but your OWP won't get accepted until after AIP which is at the end of the process or after your status is restored

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @canuck_in_uk my wife got a 10 yr multi entry visitor visa, so at every instance of visit, she can stay for max. 6 months? Also, if I opt for inland sponsorship when she visits me next year on her tourist visa for 6 months, will I risk application rejection based on dual intention purpose? I would be ready with my tax docs for my 1st year as a PR by that time? Also, if somebody wishes to travel on a 1 way ticket based on a tourist visa, will it be an issue? Sincere apologies for the lengthy post, kindly help
Her stay is decided by CBSA upon entry.

No, it would not risk a PR app.

Yes, a one way ticket is usually an issue. She needs a return.

Momoazk

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
I am applying for my spouse while I am in Canada and he is in Pakistan under Family class. Do I need to send an Open Work Permit application form along with sponsorship application?

Momoazk

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
I have a question:
I am applying to sponsor my spouse while I am in Canada and he is Pakistan under Family class. Do I need to send an Open Work Permit application along with sponsorship application?

Shehzad.P

May 2, 2019
I have a question:
I am applying to sponsor my spouse while I am in Canada and he is Pakistan under Family class. Do I need to send an Open Work Permit application along with sponsorship application?
Ope Work Permit application can only be sent if you're applying inland (principal applicant in Canada) which is not the case here. Yours would be outland application and OWP doesn't apply with it.

Angelo25

Jun 6, 2017
Just indicate what section/requirement and ask.

Just want to ask in the checklist of spousal sponsorship, page 2, number 5, class of application. i just want to clarify which class are we going to tick in there? My husband and i are both here in Canada, married, not living together yet. You told me we can apply under family class which is outland eventhough we’re both living Canada. Are we gonna fall in box 3 which is “i am currently living in Canada and i am applying under the family class (not under the spouse or common- law partner in Canada class). Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just want to ask in the checklist of spousal sponsorship, page 2, number 5, class of application. i just want to clarify which class are we going to tick in there? My husband and i are both here in Canada, married, not living together yet. You told me we can apply under family class which is outland eventhough we’re both living Canada. Are we gonna fall in box 3 which is “i am currently living in Canada and i am applying under the family class (not under the spouse or common- law partner in Canada class). Thanks
Yes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. Someone told me too that the box 3 are for conjugal partner application only.
"Someone" is an idiot; don't listen to them. For one thing, if an applicant is living in Canada, they fail to meet the most basic requirement to qualify as conjugal.

wazza45

Sep 17, 2019
Hi All

Below is my timeline for my inland spousal PR and SOWP application:

Applied: July 5th
Received: July 10th
AOR: August 15th

Does anyone have information on what the current processing times are for the open work permit? I am waiting on accepting a job until I have my work permit, but I would like to let the employer know a rough timeline.

Thanks for the help!

Ruobear

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
Actually right now I dont have any status. The visitor visa I have applied for was to restore my status. My lawyer told me that to apply for OWP with the PR app, you need to have a valid status which I dont have. Is this true?
He told me that once the visitor visa is approved, only then we can send application for OWP. I searched online, and this thing was not clearly explained anywhere.
Yes, if you have no status then the OWP would not be allowed as it is only approved if you have visitor status or implied. Since I am currently on implied status with my OWP pending (as my visitor status has expired after I had sent in my PR application); so that being the case the CIC call centre told me I would be fine until a decision is made, so if you are implied I believe you should be ok!

matchamochi

Sep 11, 2019
Hi All

Below is my timeline for my inland spousal PR and SOWP application:

Applied: July 5th
Received: July 10th
AOR: August 15th

Does anyone have information on what the current processing times are for the open work permit? I am waiting on accepting a job until I have my work permit, but I would like to let the employer know a rough timeline.

Thanks for the help!
It looks like it is taking anywhere around 2-4 months for OWP approvals.

Reactions: wazza45

Gaurav26

Feb 9, 2019
Category........
FSW
Hello guys. I just moved to Canada on pr with my kid. Now I am going to apply for my husband on pr bases. What all needed and how much time it take if I apply from Canada. Is it lengthy process or I should apply tourist visa than I apply for pr. plz guide me. Thanks.

i_sanjana

Sep 14, 2016
You need to find a job or you need to have money saved up in the bank or show family support
IRCC wants to see that you have the means to sponsor your spouse
So can i immediately apply after i get a job? I can show my offer letter and 1st pay slip. Will that do?