+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension refused - what to do now?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hoping someone here can advise me of my options....

I have just today received a message in my CIC account telling me i have been refused an extension to my visitor status/record. I applied for my extension in May 15th, before my visitor record status ran out.

My current situation is that i have been all ready to apply for PR via common law sponsorship (outland) for a number of months but we are awaiting my partners 2016 NOA and have been for a ridiculous amount of time now. We were ready to submit in May /June but thought it best to wait to receive the 2016 NOA as had seen many cases of people having their applications returned due to the NOA not being the most recent (we didn't want to send the 2015 one). Unfortunately my partners taxes appear to have been chosen for random checking and we have now been awaiting his NOA for over 2 months, which has really messed things up.

Totally devastated to receive the refusal today and now have no idea where i stand or what to do. I am knowledgable about the immigration process but this is something i never envisioned having to deal with.

I have been trying to look up about restoration of status or appealing the refusal but i really cant find any recent or definitive answers on it, neither on this forum or elsewhere (not any that makes sense to me anyway). Can i appeal? Do i have to restore my status? Can i reapply immediately for a visitor record if i transfer some UK funds, just submit my PR app with 2015 NOA to show my intention.)

The refusal letter was generic and doesn't state anything specific to my case. There is a part in bold which im not sure if this is to tell me the reason thats relevant to me or just a error. The emboldened part is "reason for requested extension".

Please help! I dont know what to do and am now frantic! :(

Thank you!

(FYI im from the UK, living in Canada)

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
What was your reason for extension? What did you include in app? Try and post in visitors section as this is for family pr (i know youre waiting for pr application to be sent)

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
What was your reason for extension? What did you include in app? Try and post in visitors section as this is for family pr (i know youre waiting for pr application to be sent)
Thanks Starnaenae..i had totally forgot about that visitors section of the forum..i've posted it there too now.

Reason i gave on the form for extension was that i was applying for permanent residency.

I included in the app the requested forms, funds proof and explanation that my common law partner was happy to support me during my time etc.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Thanks Starnaenae..i had totally forgot about that visitors section of the forum..i've posted it there too now.

Reason i gave on the form for extension was that i was applying for permanent residency.

I included in the app the requested forms, funds proof and explanation that my common law partner was happy to support me during my time etc.
We applied for my husbands extension in june and are still waiting - the reason was waiting for PR decision, provided sa and both aors as well as waiting for our baby to be born and i provided ultrasound photos. I would suggest applying immediately again OR return home and come back to start a new stay

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
We applied for my husbands extension in june and are still waiting - the reason was waiting for PR decision, provided sa and both aors as well as waiting for our baby to be born and i provided ultrasound photos. I would suggest applying immediately again OR return home and come back to start a new stay
I really dont want to return home and i feel that if i do go home and then try come back they will see i've been refused extension and just deny me entry anyway.

I couldn't include any of that (AOR/SA) as we havent yet submitted our PR application as we are waiting on my partners delayed NOA, its causing so many problems.

I dont know if i can just apply again immediately because technically my circumstances havent changed. They would have changed if i could submit my PR app but not having the NOA stops me from doing that.

To say i am a little stressed is an understatement.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
I really dont want to return home and i feel that if i do go home and then try come back they will see i've been refused extension and just deny me entry anyway.

I couldn't include any of that (AOR/SA) as we havent yet submitted our PR application as we are waiting on my partners delayed NOA, its causing so many problems.

I dont know if i can just apply again immediately because technically my circumstances havent changed. They would have changed if i could submit my PR app but not having the NOA stops me from doing that.

To say i am a little stressed is an understatement.
yeah i dont know what the best course of action is. have you tried the visitors section?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
yeah i dont know what the best course of action is. have you tried the visitors section?
Yes i posted in there right after you reminded me about it (thank you!) So stressed.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I don't know what NOA is. But do you absolutely need it for his PR application? Can't you update the application once he gets it? Entering the country after your process has been denied or the officer suspects of something fishy can incur a 1 year ban if the officer decides to do so, be careful.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I don't know what NOA is. But do you absolutely need it for his PR application? Can't you update the application once he gets it? Entering the country after your process has been denied or the officer suspects of something fishy can incur a 1 year ban if the officer decides to do so, be careful.
Notice of assessment and yes you need it.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hoping someone here can advise me of my options....

I have just today received a message in my CIC account telling me i have been refused an extension to my visitor status/record. I applied for my extension in May 15th, before my visitor record status ran out.

My current situation is that i have been all ready to apply for PR via common law sponsorship (outland) for a number of months but we are awaiting my partners 2016 NOA and have been for a ridiculous amount of time now. We were ready to submit in May /June but thought it best to wait to receive the 2016 NOA as had seen many cases of people having their applications returned due to the NOA not being the most recent (we didn't want to send the 2015 one). Unfortunately my partners taxes appear to have been chosen for random checking and we have now been awaiting his NOA for over 2 months, which has really messed things up.

Totally devastated to receive the refusal today and now have no idea where i stand or what to do. I am knowledgable about the immigration process but this is something i never envisioned having to deal with.

I have been trying to look up about restoration of status or appealing the refusal but i really cant find any recent or definitive answers on it, neither on this forum or elsewhere (not any that makes sense to me anyway). Can i appeal? Do i have to restore my status? Can i reapply immediately for a visitor record if i transfer some UK funds, just submit my PR app with 2015 NOA to show my intention.)

The refusal letter was generic and doesn't state anything specific to my case. There is a part in bold which im not sure if this is to tell me the reason thats relevant to me or just a error. The emboldened part is "reason for requested extension".

Please help! I dont know what to do and am now frantic! :(

Thank you!

(FYI im from the UK, living in Canada)
This sounds weird. My husband is from Ireland and we got one visitor visa and then extended it with no problem at all.

I know sometimes they won't grant visitor visas to certain citizens where they worry they may come to Canada and not leave, but to my knowledge that's not the case with the UK.

You really need to find out why it was refused.

Last edited:
Reactions: bafonso

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I have seen on this forum a lot of applications returned because of out of date NOA, hence why i've been waiting it out. I am already in Canada.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
I have seen on this forum a lot of applications returned because of out of date NOA, hence why i've been waiting it out. I am already in Canada.
Keep in mind, there is a big difference between someone who submits an older NOA with no letter of explanation, and someone who submits a letter of explanation. Most of the time when you're reading about apps being returned due to old NOAs, it's people who submitted around tax season and there was confusion about what NOA is considered "most recent". So, there was no letter of explanation included because they didn't actually realize their NOA was too old. In the checklist, it's indicated that you can choose to submit an older NOA or not include an NOA as long as you include a letter of explanation. As long as your reason is valid for not including it - which, it seems to be perfectly valid - and including an explanation letter is listed as an option in the checklist, why don't you just submit your app with the 2015 NOA and include an explanation letter?

canadiantica15

Sep 14, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-04-2017
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
File Transfer...
24-05-2017
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2017
LANDED..........
15-12-2017
Keep in mind, there is a big difference between someone who submits an older NOA with no letter of explanation, and someone who submits a letter of explanation. Most of the time when you're reading about apps being returned due to old NOAs, it's people who submitted around tax season and there was confusion about what NOA is considered "most recent". So, there was no letter of explanation included because they didn't actually realize their NOA was too old. In the checklist, it's indicated that you can choose to submit an older NOA or not include an NOA as long as you include a letter of explanation. As long as your reason is valid for not including it - which, it seems to be perfectly valid - and including an explanation letter is listed as an option in the checklist, why don't you just submit your app with the 2015 NOA and include an explanation letter?
This is exactly what I did. I sent my 2015 NOA while my 2016 return was in process of being filed earlier this year. I included a LOE explaining this and I would submit my 2016 NOA when it became available. I also included my 2016 T4 Statement which may have helped.

Reactions: KBH

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Notice of assessment and yes you need it.
This is exactly what I did. I sent my 2015 NOA while my 2016 return was in process of being filed earlier this year. I included a LOE explaining this and I would submit my 2016 NOA when it became available. I also included my 2016 T4 Statement which may have helped.
Thanks canadiantica15... How did that work out for you? Have you received any word on your PR app? How did you submit your 2016 NOA, presuming you have, email?

I held out thinking it would only be 7-10 days (regular time for NOA generation) but now its just got stupid and i have lost 2 months, he did submit his taxes a little late but still. Its just that its late not to have his NOA, but as you said, my reason for not having it is totally genuine.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Thanks KBH. I really think thats what im going to have to do if we dont get it this week..we cant keep waiting... Just on top of that i have to figure out my refusal options.. Stress city over here.. :(