canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
USERDLM said:
That's interesting, and kind of worrying - what would the benefit be of applying outland? If I apply outland I get it in six months but if something delays or goes wrong then I mess up my expiry date and possibly my job here. If I apply inland, I get my open work permit in roughly 4 months (as far as I can tell?) then at least I know I can work for the duration of my application?

I don't have too much of a rush to get permanent residency per se, as long as I can work while I am applying for it...

Is there anything I am missing?
You most definitely should apply outland. The benefit is that you are a PR in a much shorter time and you can feel free to leave Canada if you need to without risking your outland application.

In your situation, there is zero benefit to applying inland.

USERDLM

Nov 21, 2016
OK.

This is kinda daunting as I had already prepared everything (almost) to apply inland. The address on my documents would have a Canadian address, I even got a medical done as well, would this be an issue?

Also, again... I don't really understand fully why having the open work permit in approx four months to have while the PR card get processed. I have been on a work permit here so far and it's been fine. I don't really mind not being on a PR right away as long as I can work. I would be concerned about the seven month waiting and worrying for my outland application to be processed.

I do have a trip planned next Xmas to Oz but I read that if you have an open work permit and proof that you are well established in the country that it's not a problem leaving the country and coming back.

Thank you all so much for your replies and helpful insight. This second option (for outland application) is a little troubling and stressful because I don't think I had considered it before.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
USERDLM said:
OK.

This is kinda daunting as I had already prepared everything (almost) to apply inland. The address on my documents would have a Canadian address, I even got a medical done as well, would this be an issue?

Also, again... I don't really understand fully why having the open work permit in approx four months to have while the PR card get processed. I have been on a work permit here so far and it's been fine. I don't really mind not being on a PR right away as long as I can work. I would be concerned about the seven month waiting and worrying for my outland application to be processed.

I do have a trip planned next Xmas to Oz but I read that if you have an open work permit and proof that you are well established in the country that it's not a problem leaving the country and coming back.

Thank you all so much for your replies and helpful insight. This second option (for outland application) is a little troubling and stressful because I don't think I had considered it before.

Thanks for your help everyone!
That is NOT true. The OWP will even confirm this, since it will have `DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY' on it (can't remember exactly how it's worded), but...suffice to say that it will NOT guarantee re-entry. This is the issue with Inland applications, since the applicant is cautioned not to leave Canada.

To summarize:

Inland-

Yes, you'll (hopefully) have the new OWP ~ 4 months after CIC receives it along with your Inland application. The cost for the OWP is $255 total ($155 + $100).
You are advised not to leave Canada until you complete the PR process (Zzzzzzz...).

Outland-

No OWP option, but you will most likely become a PR in ~4 months (perhaps a bit longer), based on what Sydney applicants are reporting. You would save yourself $255.

If there is an interview, because CIC has concerns about the relationship, or you have admissibility issues, the interview would be there, rather than in Canada (for Inland applicants).

Unless you feel that you do not have strong proof of your relationship, you really would be better off, IMHO, applying Outland.

Tough call, I guess.

Good luck!

USERDLM

Nov 21, 2016
OK, fair call. Thank you very much for outlaying the benefits for either case, I'm sure it's a resounding issue on this thread and probably a dead horse to flog, but thank you for explaining it to me.

I have spoken to my wife and we are leaning towards the outland application, we would be going back in Oz for Christmas to see loved ones and if an interview is required then we can just base the vacation around the time of the interview instead of christmas. Seems reasonable.

My head fills with more questions now, but the main thing being:

1) is there anything that I need to do as an inland person applying outland, ie, most of my supporting documents (police checks, etc) have my Canadian address on them. Do I have to get new ones? I also obtained a medical here, will I have to get a new medical done outland?

Also, what is the process of obtaining the permanent residency, do they send something to me an Australian address? Or is it issued (like the IEC work permit) at the border?

Thank you again for the support.

Larubia86

Nov 21, 2016
Hi there,

I am new to this forum so I don't even know if I am in the right topic! Long story short, I fell in love 3 months ago to an Argentinan and we were married a few months ago and we are starting the spousal sponsorship supporting documents because we are still waiting after almost a month to see if his visitors visa was approved or not. I hired a lawyer a few months ago thinking that it would be worth it but she has not been of much help and more often than not, does not get back to my emails. I have a concern about not being approved as a sponsor because I am not working right now and I have seen different contradicting things regarding this topic and if anyone could provide some clarification it would be much appreciated! When I met my husband I was working for cash and was lucky enough to have a job that gave me the freedom to travel when I want but I now not working at all as I just spent a month with my husband in Argentina and am going back again in a few days. I know I need to have my C print out of my last tax year but I was on EI at the time as I was let go from my previous employer. I know that a few people in this forum have mentioned that they had letters written from the parents stating hay they would help support them and their spouse when he/she arrives but unfortunately I don't have really any emotional support with this situation in my household and I plan on moving out once my husband arrives here. Does anyone have any insights or can point me in the right direction?? Thanks !!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
USERDLM said:
I have spoken to my wife and we are leaning towards the outland application, we would be going back in Oz for Christmas to see loved ones and if an interview is required then we can just base the vacation around the time of the interview instead of christmas. Seems reasonable.

1) is there anything that I need to do as an inland person applying outland, ie, most of my supporting documents (police checks, etc) have my Canadian address on them. Do I have to get new ones? I also obtained a medical here, will I have to get a new medical done outland?

Also, what is the process of obtaining the permanent residency, do they send something to me an Australian address? Or is it issued (like the IEC work permit) at the border?
Interviews are called when IRCC suspects it is a Marriage of Convenience or if there are serious red flags with the app like criminality, sponsor bankruptcy, etc. As an Australian, you are not an MOC risk, so provided you have no red flags, you will not be called for an interview.

1. It is perfectly fine for all of your forms and documents to have your Canadian address and for your medical to be done in Canada.

Do not list an Australian address in the app. Just use your Canadian address. Your COPR will be mailed there and you have the option of booking an appointment to land inland (can take weeks to months) or flagpoling at the border.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Larubia86 said:
Long story short, I fell in love 3 months ago to an Argentinan and we were married a few months ago and we are starting the spousal sponsorship supporting documents because we are still waiting after almost a month to see if his visitors visa was approved or not.

I have a concern about not being approved as a sponsor because I am not working right now and I have seen different contradicting things regarding this topic and if anyone could provide some clarification it would be much appreciated!

I know I need to have my C print out of my last tax year but I was on EI at the time as I was let go from my previous employer.

I know that a few people in this forum have mentioned that they had letters written from the parents stating hay they would help support them and their spouse when he/she arrives but unfortunately I don't have really any emotional support with this situation in my household and I plan on moving out once my husband arrives here. Does anyone have any insights or can point me in the right direction?? Thanks !!!
Getting married so quickly after meeting is a HUGE indicator for a Marriage of Convenience. You should really hold off on applying for sponsorship until you have lived together for awhile. Build up your relationship proofs and apply when you have a solid app.

You are not required to have a job but you need to show IRCC that you can support yourselves in Canada without welfare.

You need your NOA. Being on EI is not an issue.

Parental support letters are not required. However, as you are still living at home and unemployed, IRCC may have concerns about your app without a letter.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
Larubia86 said:
Hi there,

I am new to this forum so I don't even know if I am in the right topic! Long story short, I fell in love 3 months ago to an Argentinan and we were married a few months ago and we are starting the spousal sponsorship supporting documents because we are still waiting after almost a month to see if his visitors visa was approved or not. I hired a lawyer a few months ago thinking that it would be worth it but she has not been of much help and more often than not, does not get back to my emails. I have a concern about not being approved as a sponsor because I am not working right now and I have seen different contradicting things regarding this topic and if anyone could provide some clarification it would be much appreciated! When I met my husband I was working for cash and was lucky enough to have a job that gave me the freedom to travel when I want but I now not working at all as I just spent a month with my husband in Argentina and am going back again in a few days. I know I need to have my C print out of my last tax year but I was on EI at the time as I was let go from my previous employer. I know that a few people in this forum have mentioned that they had letters written from the parents stating hay they would help support them and their spouse when he/she arrives but unfortunately I don't have really any emotional support with this situation in my household and I plan on moving out once my husband arrives here. Does anyone have any insights or can point me in the right direction?? Thanks !!!
in addition to what Canuck said, i would advice that you should try find your feet first before your husband arrives. try get a job. move out in to your own space.. this will further convince cic that u can solely support your husband

let the relationship grow-- you are married( congratulations) and then u apply almost immediately , CIC will take a serious look at that application and that may work against you.

let your marriage last for a while, i advice 1 year at least , then u can apply.

SaskinSeoul

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
April 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 2017
LANDED..........
June 2017
Just sent the forms away today from South Korea.

Huge relief but now it's a waiting game.

marrianne730

Sep 10, 2016
Cochrane,Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
App. Filed.......
04-21-2017
Doc's Request.
Supplementary Information, ScheduleA
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-05-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
03-08-2017
Med's Done....
19-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2017
LANDED..........
11-12-2017
Hi , I have a question regarding to my spousal sponsorship .what if I want to discontinue the application with some personAL reason ,do I need to send cic a letter ?is the $475 will be refunded?TIA

t_Addy.

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Hello, I do have a question. My fiance is an American Citizen and lives in the US. We will be getting married in a few months (we dated for 2 years) and I will like to apply for a family sponsorship because there is no way I'm leaving Canada to move to Trump's America ;D
I just want to know if he can apply for an open work permit that will allow him to work while the family sponsorship application is on going. 14 months is a long time for him to wait on the approval of his PR without being able to work.
I know he is allowed to enter Canada visa-free as an American, I just need him to have an open work permit while he waits.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
t_Addy. said:
Hello, I do have a question. My fiance is an American Citizen and lives in the US. We will be getting married in a few months (we dated for 2 years) and I will like to apply for a family sponsorship because there is no way I'm leaving Canada to move to Trump's America ;D
I just want to know if he can apply for an open work permit that will allow him to work while the family sponsorship application is on going. 14 months is a long time for him to wait on the approval of his PR without being able to work.
I know he is allowed to enter Canada visa-free as an American, I just need him to have an open work permit while he waits.
The open work permit is only possible if you apply inland. Americans should apply outland - some people are getting through in as little as 3 months these days. Very few applications take 14 months.

SaskinSeoul

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
April 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 2017
LANDED..........
June 2017
t_Addy. said:
Where do you currently live and do you have a job there? If you live in the USA and have a job then you could be denied based on your intentions. You can't just move to Canada spontaneously unless you have a job offer or property. Otherwise it could set off some red flags.

If you have a job and house in Canada then there shouldn't be a problem. Outland is the way to go though. Inland applications take longer and it's much more stressful.

USERDLM

Nov 21, 2016
OK thank you all, I am now going to apply Outland, I'm very glad for all your help and assistance to direct me to this.

One more question, now that I am applying outland, and Canada counts as a country I have spent six months in, does that mean I have to get a Canadian backgrounds check? Or do the CIC complete this themselves?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
marrianne730 said:
Hi , I have a question regarding to my spousal sponsorship .what if I want to discontinue the application with some personAL reason ,do I need to send cic a letter ?is the $475 will be refunded?TIA
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=732&top=14

Whether you will get a refund depends on how far into the process you are.