+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
i was wondering about Outland sponsorship. I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We are in the process of Outland sponsorship. We are in the processor permanent residency. We have submitted the FBI check document and haven't heard back.
We were wondering how long it takes until we find out about approval.
Thank you.

tveeter

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
Hello All,

I just received my PR card. I am in India right now. Travelling to Canada next week. I have got a job there. However, now i have started making plans for my marriage. I have some worrying doubts
- My potential spouse has a US Student and visitor visa rejected. Will this have an impact on his eligibility to be sponsored?
- While I submit for her sponsorship, can I also apply for her visiting visa so that she can come and live with me? Should I do this before marriage? or after marriage? Is this a possible solution to avoid long waiting periods for sponsorship to get approved?
- Do I need to show my income to be able to sponser her?

Please advise.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Siempreamor said:
i was wondering about Outland sponsorship. I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We are in the process of Outland sponsorship. We are in the processor permanent residency. We have submitted the FBI check document and haven't heard back.
We were wondering how long it takes until we find out about approval.
Thank you.
Are you talking about the FBI check or the PR application? The FBI check can take up to 3 months. When did you submit your PR application?

skoolaz1987

Dec 16, 2015
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Febuary 2015
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Med's Done....
upfront january 15 2015 extended
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Feb 12 2016
VISA ISSUED...
march 1, 2016
LANDED..........
planning for march 24, 2016
Can you get refused after your medical extension is granted

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
tveeter said:
Hello All,

I just received my PR card. I am in India right now. Travelling to Canada next week. I have got a job there. However, now i have started making plans for my marriage. I have some worrying doubts
- My potential spouse has a US Student and visitor visa rejected. Will this have an impact on his eligibility to be sponsored?
- While I submit for her sponsorship, can I also apply for her visiting visa so that she can come and live with me? Should I do this before marriage? or after marriage? Is this a possible solution to avoid long waiting periods for sponsorship to get approved?
- Do I need to show my income to be able to sponser her?

Please advise.
1) No, but she will need to be truthful about these on her application.
2) Yes, but it's my understanding, the more ties one has to Canada, the harder the visa is to get. Marriage to a Canadian and a PR application actually make it more difficult to get the visa. I'd submit for it before the marriage and before the PR application, and/or take a look at this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitor-visa-grantedwife-of-pr-t273759.0.html
3) You'll be asked to submit an Option C printout, but this is only to show proof you haven't collected welfare. If you are employed you'll need to submit a letter from your employer. There is no actual income requirement for spousal sponsorship, however, but you do need to show how you will support yourself and your wife.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
skoolaz1987 said:
Can you get refused after your medical extension is granted
You can technically be refused any time, but if you are that worried, apply for notes. You will see what they have processed and approved.

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Hi! Thank you for your advise. I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We submitted our Outland application was submitted in February of 2015. I was approved to sponsor my husband in April. And now, we're waiting for permanent residency. We sent the FBI check at beginning of December and haven't heard back.
I was wondering if you knew how much longer it will be until my husband gets his permanent residency.
Thank you once again for your assistance.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Siempreamor said:
Hi! Thank you for your advise. I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We submitted our Outland application was submitted in February of 2015. I was approved to sponsor my husband in April. And now, we're waiting for permanent residency. We sent the FBI check at beginning of December and haven't heard back.
I was wondering if you knew how much longer it will be until my husband gets his permanent residency.
Thank you once again for your assistance.
Did they request the FBI check or did you just send it? What's his ECAS say?

skoolaz1987

Dec 16, 2015
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Febuary 2015
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Med's Done....
upfront january 15 2015 extended
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Feb 12 2016
VISA ISSUED...
march 1, 2016
LANDED..........
planning for march 24, 2016
Aquakitty said:
You can technically be refused any time, but if you are that worried, apply for notes. You will see what they have processed and approved.
Ok thanks. not really worried but i thought they extend your medical when is the only thing that can prevent a decision.

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Aquakitty said:
Did they request the FBI check or did you just send it? What's his ECAS say?
Yes, we were asked to submit the FBI check. And so we did send it beginning of December. Is this the last step? How much longer do we have to wait for?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Siempreamor said:
Yes, we were asked to submit the FBI check. And so we did send it beginning of December. Is this the last step? How much longer do we have to wait for?
Typically you send the FBI check with the original application - that's what you're supposed to do. So CIC requesting the check isn't so much a final step as it is them requesting a mandatory document you failed to include with your application. Chances are the background and security checks aren't complete yet (possibly not even started). So my guess is you probably still have a few months to wait (but that's just my guess).

LeBentit

Dec 16, 2015
Aquakitty said:
Did you use the online form to cancel it? You could have requested them to keep the money for the outland app and use the same receipt, but probably too late now.
[/quote

Yes I used the online form and the 10 business days already passed. So far no answer, is there any way for me to be sure CIC won't receive multiple process is I start now the outland process?

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
scylla said:
Typically you send the FBI check with the original application - that's what you're supposed to do. So CIC requesting the check isn't so much a final step as it is them requesting a mandatory document you failed to include with your application. Chances are the background and security checks aren't complete yet (possibly not even started). So my guess is you probably still have a few months to wait (but that's just my guess).
Yes, we did send all documents requested with our application. Since October it states that our application for "permanent residency is in progress". And now, we're into January and haven't heard back. I would like to get a sense as to when we would hear from them again. We're just looking forward to hearing about our application being complete and my husband obtaining his permanent residency.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Siempreamor said:
Yes, we did send all documents requested with our application. Since October it states that our application for "permanent residency is in progress". And now, we're into January and haven't heard back. I would like to get a sense as to when we would hear from them again. We're just looking forward to hearing about our application being complete and my husband obtaining his permanent residency.
Was there a reason why a second FBI check was requested?

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
scylla said:
Was there a reason why a second FBI check was requested?
Nope.. We didn't have a second request for FBI request. This was just part of the application process. Everything has gone thru okay with our application. We have submitted everything. There's nothing left to submit. But, this waiting period is so long..