Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
hipster said:
I understand about the processing time. If I remember right it is just under a year for outland and 2+ years for inland. The big problem is financial...if she applies outland she cannot apply for the open work permit. That means she cannot stay here for any length of time because she cannot afford to go 11 months without working. While I can provide food and shelter here I cannot afford to make her car payments and student loan payments.

Basically I prefer the inland permit because, with the work permit, it gives her the ability to live here faster than if she applied outland. Yes, the outland permit may result in faster permanent residency but the inland gives us a faster path to living together.

Now what about this leaving while your application is processed? Why would your application be terminated? What if she were travelling with me?

My plan was to have here apply here some time around thanks-giving after which she would return home until she got the work permit. Then I would drive down tot he US and bring her back.
You can't leave for 4 months and expect your application to still process, the requirement is for applicants to reside in Canada for an inland application. Not sure where you got the 11 month number from. People get their COPRs in under 9 months from US on average. My spouse got his in under 4, less time than a work permit takes. But it's not the same for everyone obviously.

hipster

Mar 10, 2015
thanks for your help btw...

Are you saying it takes more than 4 months to get the 'open work permit' when you apply for it with your PR application? I've seen people talking about how they got it quite quickly...

the point is that she simply cannot afford to wait months on end for a work permit when she could be working in the US while waiting on the work permit. As I said, we are not as concerned with processing time for the PR than for her ability to work here.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
hipster said:

Are you saying it takes more than 4 months to get the 'open work permit' when you apply for it with your PR application? I've seen people talking about how they got it quite quickly...

the point is that she simply cannot afford to wait months on end for a work permit when she could be working in the US while waiting on the work permit. As I said, we are not as concerned with processing time for the PR than for her ability to work here.
From the CIC site:

Use this application if:

you are the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
you want to apply for permanent residence and
both you and the sponsor live in Canada.
If you do not live in Canada, DO NOT use this form.

and

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

If she is living and working in the US, that is not living in Canada.

Please go read numerous threads on the subject, even if the permit takes only one month, she is supposed to be IN Canada during the process. If you want to risk it, go ahead. The average for the pilot programme work permit seems to be 2 to 5 months.

She could just keep working in the US until you she gets the PR with the outland application, with no problems. If you want to wait up to 2 years for PR and all the benefits then that is your choice. It's not a bad choice, it's just one I am happy we didn't pick since the PR is far more valuable to us than the work permit. If you don't feel that is the choice you want to make, then that is fine, as long as you realise the differences. It is easier for Americans to work across the border and come to Canada when they want, that is why it does not make sense for most of them to go the inland route.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Sinziana said:
Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with my problem. I am a PR and submitted a sponsorship application for my spouse who lives in Romania. The problem is that I have been living in Romania ever since I filed the application (Nov 2014); I just found out that you have to phisically be in Canada while processing the application

1st phase - I qualified as a sponsor
2nd phase: app for PR received on nov 14, 2014
Started processing it on July 31, 2015
Medical results have been received
No changes till now; do you think he will be refused? If I go now back to Canada and be in Canada by the time he gets the response should influence the response?
Thank you very much!!
You're not supposed to be able to sponsor if not in Canada, it looks like they didn't check up on you, and you passed that part. I would suggest you get back to Canada immediately. I am not an expert in this matter though, I'd get a lot more advice on this. But afaik, they should not have approved you in the first place so I guess you got away with it. If they do any further checking though I don't know what would happen.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
hipster said:
I understand about the processing time. If I remember right it is just under a year for outland and 2+ years for inland. The big problem is financial...if she applies outland she cannot apply for the open work permit. That means she cannot stay here for any length of time because she cannot afford to go 11 months without working. While I can provide food and shelter here I cannot afford to make her car payments and student loan payments.

Basically I prefer the inland permit because, with the work permit, it gives her the ability to live here faster than if she applied outland. Yes, the outland permit may result in faster permanent residency but the inland gives us a faster path to living together.

Now what about this leaving while your application is processed? Why would your application be terminated? What if she were travelling with me?

My plan was to have here apply here some time around thanks-giving after which she would return home until she got the work permit. Then I would drive down tot he US and bring her back.
Is selling her car not an option?

hipster said:

Four months is quickly! Yes it very well could take more than four months, and the OWP is a pilot project as well started in December of last year, so there isn't necessarily any guarantees your girlfriend would get an OWP anyhow.

Your girlfriend will not be able to return home on an inland application and wait for an OWP, because it goes against the very nature of an inland application. The OWP to my understanding was designed to offer employment potential to those applicants already in Canada who were unable to work while waiting on their residency.

If she cannot afford to wait months for an OWP (that may never be granted), her best bet financially is to stay employed in the US until her residency is approved.

Rylan

Aug 24, 2015
Re: Spousal sponsorship processing timeline

Hello, im wondering if anyone has information for spousal sponsorship timelines for south koreans using the outland method. I know the cic website lists average processing times by visa offices but south korea isnt listed. Can someone please help? Or if there are any canadians sponsoring south korean spouses, id love to get in contact.

Amalia.S

Jun 25, 2015
Hello again,

My Canadian husband and i will begin the sponsorship application soon. Does anyone know at what point during the process i can get health insurance (OHIP)? For instance, maybe once i get the work permit? I know time frames can be different for every case, so its hard to tell how long after the application.

Also, going through the posts in this thread, i read about applying OUTLAND while living IN Canada as a visitor. Is that really a legal option? And if so, is it so much faster (post claimed that the whole thing took 3 months through London visa office) and are there any downsides to it?

Thank you all for your valuable advice and help. Good luck to all of us :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amalia.S said:
Hello again,

Also, going through the posts in this thread, i read about applying OUTLAND while living IN Canada as a visitor. Is that really a legal option? And if so, is it so much faster (post claimed that the whole thing took 3 months through London visa office) and are there any downsides to it?

Thank you all for your valuable advice and help. Good luck to all of us :)
YES IT IS!

By all means submit an Outland application! All you need to do is apply to extend your current visitor status before it expires, if needed, which is easy to do online.

Good luck!

Amalia.S

Jun 25, 2015
By all means submit an Outland application!
Thank you very much. But what about any downsides associated with this process? Will I be required to travel abroad for an interview, for example?

Also, if someone can help me with this the question bellow.

Does anyone know at what point during the process i can get health insurance (OHIP)? For instance, maybe once i get the work permit? I know time frames can be different for every case, so its hard to tell how long after the application.
I am sure those questions have been asked previously but it is really hard to find an answer in a such huge thread.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amalia.S said:
Thank you very much. But what about any downsides associated with this process? Will I be required to travel abroad for an interview, for example?

Also, if someone can help me with this the question bellow.

I am sure those questions have been asked previously but it is really hard to find an answer in a such huge thread.
Typically, you would only need to travel abroad for an interview if CIC has concerns about your relationship. For a straightforward application, the chances of having an interview is pretty small.

You wouldn't be eligible for OHIP until you land as a permanent resident (with the Outland application). If you were to apply Inland, you would have to wait until you received the OWP, which takes ~ 4 months to receive, that is issued under the pilot program, but...these OWPs have a `Type 27' on them which does not allow you to get OHIP right away. Apparently, you also need proof that you have a job and need verification from your new employer that you will be employed for the next (6 months, or is it 1 year?).

Outland is by far the better choice for most people in your situation.

meinqulab19

Sep 1, 2015
Hi All,

I have applied for my Wife's Permanent Residency File in 2014, i have only one line in my online status that file received in November 02 2014, many of my friends have file in process they applied in december 2014.

does anyone have an Idea about which Month's file is in process.

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: Spousal sponsorship processing timeline

Rylan said:
Hello, im wondering if anyone has information for spousal sponsorship timelines for south koreans using the outland method. I know the cic website lists average processing times by visa offices but south korea isnt listed. Can someone please help? Or if there are any canadians sponsoring south korean spouses, id love to get in contact.
Korean applications are processed in Manila. Note that as stated at the top of that webpage, the posted times are how long it took to process 80% of applications, NOT averages.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
meinqulab19 said:
Hi All,

I have applied for my Wife's Permanent Residency File in 2014, i have only one line in my online status that file received in November 02 2014, many of my friends have file in process they applied in december 2014.

does anyone have an Idea about which Month's file is in process.

Thank you
CIC doesn't publish data on what month they are working on, to get an idea try searching this forum for a thread from your visa office.

berylia

Sep 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
Med's Request
12-12-2016
Med's Done....
17-12-2016
hi,

I applied for a PR and OWP simultaneously inland in July, 2015. Right now I am holding a multi-entrance visitor visa and live in Canada.

I have two questions:

1) the poster said I can choose to apply from inland or outland in the year 2010, although I cannot find this from CIC website. Is this still workable? I already applied from inland, will it possible they transmit my application to outland automatically or ask my opinion? If it is, how long will they transfer it? Can I make the transfer application myself? I plan to live in Canada.

2) since I handed for PR and OWP the same time, and the first period costs 16 months. How long will I get my OWP?

Thanks to anyone can answer my questions. ^_^

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
berylia said:
hi,

I applied for a PR and OWP simultaneously inland in July, 2015. Right now I am holding a multi-entrance visitor visa and live in Canada.

I have two questions:

1) the poster said I can choose to apply from inland or outland in the year 2010, although I cannot find this from CIC website. Is this still workable? I already applied from inland, will it possible they transmit my application to outland automatically or ask my opinion? If it is, how long will they transfer it? Can I make the transfer application myself? I plan to live in Canada.

2) since I handed for PR and OWP the same time, and the first period costs 16 months. How long will I get my OWP?

Thanks to anyone can answer my questions. ^_^
1) No, you either apply inland or outland, there is no changing once you've submitted it. If you wish to apply outland you'd have to withdraw the application, and then you would not qualify for the OWP. There are different documents involved. Hopefully you sent the right documents to the right place.

2) Roughly 2-5 months for the OWP, according to people's reports on here.