+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

polar25

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
same here still waiting for medical request.
application sent March 21, 2017
AOR: April 5, 2017
Sch A & PCC: Received July 18, 207

Application Sent - March 29, 2017
AOR - March 31, 2017
PCC and Schedule A: Received July 18, 2017
now waiting for - 'review of eligibility' to start..... What have the waiting times been for this? As of right now they are not requesting a medical. Do they approve the application to sponsor before requesting medical?

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
thank you for your quick response but in my case i am only applying, my husband and me don't have any kids. my question was do i have to put even birth certificates of my siblings even though they aren't accompanying or moving to canada. basically only i am applying for PR.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES OF YOUR SIBLINGS AND PARENTS ARE NOT REQUIRED. Your siblings cannot accompany you in spousal application. If both of you have no dependent, then only you must provide your birth certificate. Your husband may add his birth certificate if he's PR, but not necessary. Check the IRCC basic guide before completing your application.

Reactions: shmz8

petkraken

Sep 13, 2017
thank you for your quick response but in my case i am only applying, my husband and me don't have any kids. my question was do i have to put even birth certificates of my siblings even though they aren't accompanying or moving to canada. basically only i am applying for PR.
What Lashen said above is correct. Maybe the confusing part was the definition of dependent? It's officially "A spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a permanent resident or principal applicant." So this excludes parents, siblings etc.

In general I found this page really helpful for terminology:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#d

Reactions: shmz8

mudassir120

Oct 27, 2011
Hi group,

I have a question regarding OWP application . My spouse currently is house wife and before that she was going to school , she never worked in any company for any employer so what should I do? should I write N/A or I should write house wife in current activity and student (going to school) in previous activity?

Can any one please advice me ? if has same situaltion or any knowledge about that?

Thanks ,

Reactions: Amsadek4u

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
just an update. i have sent a CSE to CIC regarding my non-accompanying dependent who was not listed on my account (I had declared him in my PR application but they might have overlooked?). I did an upfront medical exam for my OWP and it reflected as passed on June. Today, I received a medical request for my son and I have also seen him added as my dependent on my account.

Kozyrytka

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Ontario
App. Filed.......
26-06-2017
Doc's Request.
27-07-2017
AOR Received.
25-07-2017
Hi group,

I have a question regarding OWP application . My spouse currently is house wife and before that she was going to school , she never worked in any company for any employer so what should I do? should I write N/A or I should write house wife in current activity and student (going to school) in previous activity?

Can any one please advice me ? if has same situaltion or any knowledge about that?

Thanks ,
I think in your case it should be unemployed. I've been told that whatever you write matters and it's "rated" so it's better to be honest. If she has gone to any educational institutions and finished with a diploma it's worth mentioning as your "past". As far as I remember the past activity counts after 18 years old or for the past X years so keep that in mind. You shouldn't worry about the fact that she doesn't have any employment history. As long as you give them a valid reason why it should be fine. I strongly advise sticking to the guide of OWP it says what job titles/degrees and terms you can use.

b_miley

May 31, 2017
Hi everyone! I submitted our spousal sponsorship with OWP application on February 10th, 2017. I'm currently on a study permit expiring next month and also pregnant! :eek: So yeah, no pressure right? ;D Just waiting for now.
Hi there,

question... me and my hubby just got married last April, he is on a student visa as well and his visa will expire Jan 2018. Im not quite sure if he is eligible to apply for OWP. I’m not sure where to start with our application for PR for him. We already got our marriage certificates. Is he going to renew his student visa then pass the PR application or can we do the OWP with the PR application. Pls help. Thanks!

b_miley

May 31, 2017
Hi there,

question... me and my hubby just got married last April, he is on a student visa as well and his visa will expire Jan 2018. Im not quite sure if he is eligible to apply for OWP. I’m not sure where to start with our application for PR for him. We already got our marriage certificates. Is he going to renew his student visa then pass the PR application or can we do the OWP with the PR application. Pls help. Thanks!
Is he finishing his studies within the next year? If yes, then it's better to apply now for an OWP. If he is not finishing his studies within the next year, then he can just remain on his study permit during the PR process.
If you don't apply now for the OWP and he finishes his studies before the PR application is processed, he could also apply for a post graduation work permit (pgwp).
Hi there sorry for the super late reply...
His course doesn’t have any exact end date... it all depends on the weather...
his student visa will expire Jan 2018. Im not quite sure if he is eligible to apply for OWP. I’m not sure where to start with our application for PR for him. We already got our marriage certificates. Is he going to renew his student visa then pass the PR application or can we do the OWP with the PR application. Pls help. Thanks!

petkraken

Sep 13, 2017
Hi there,

I hope I don't misunderstand anything, but assuming you hand in the application before he's out of status I don't see why he couldn't get an OWP - if you apply for PR inland. There aren't really a whole lot of requirements.

And just as a "footnote"... it's still officially a "pilot program" that runs out December 2017 I think. I don't think it's unlikely they will extend it again, but if you would want to be super sure, I guess you also have to take that into consideration when you make your plans.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Hi there,

Hi there sorry for the super late reply...
His course doesn’t have any exact end date... it all depends on the weather...
his student visa will expire Jan 2018. Im not quite sure if he is eligible to apply for OWP. I’m not sure where to start with our application for PR for him. We already got our marriage certificates. Is he going to renew his student visa then pass the PR application or can we do the OWP with the PR application. Pls help. Thanks!
Any inland applicant in the spousal sponsorship category is eligible to apply for the OWP. You submit the spousal sponsorship application and the OWP application at the same time. I recommend reading the post by @profiler :http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-in-land-applications-2016-timeline-and-updates.389295/page-944#post-6126009
You fill find a full description on how to apply for the OWP.

Regarding the student visa, if he thinks he will not have finished in January 2018, he can start the renewal procedures soon (early November, currently the processing time is 53 days for online extension application according to CIC website). This is unrelated to the spousal sponsorship, but he must maintain a valid student status until he completes his studies.

The spousal sponsorship application does not give a status in Canada for your spouse. So he must maintain a valid status as a student (study permit) and/or as a worker (OWP or post-graduation work permit could also be an option but OWP seems to be the easiest way).

Amsadek4u

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
14-06-2017
Doc's Request.
15-07-2017
AOR Received.
13-07-2017
Hi group,

Thanks ,
Write N/A

abcdmud

Jan 23, 2017
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - MISSISSAUGA
App. Filed.......
Feb 12, 2017
Doc's Request.
Apr 3, 2017
AOR Received.
Mar 5, 2017
Med's Request
Jun 14, 2017
Med's Done....
Passed Jun 29, 2017
Interview........
Mar 5, 2018
LANDED..........
Mar 13, 2018
Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted here. AS per my signature you can see that my appeal to get my OWP changed was denied. I am currently getting the paperwork checklist ready to apply for an extension of my OWP. Would any one be able to tell me what documents are required and what needs to be done?

My application is almost at 220 days, this waiting game is really killing me. I want to travel and see family, I even missed my sisters wedding because of this paperwork :(.

Thanks

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted here. AS per my signature you can see that my appeal to get my OWP changed was denied. I am currently getting the paperwork checklist ready to apply for an extension of my OWP. Would any one be able to tell me what documents are required and what needs to be done?

My application is almost at 220 days, this waiting game is really killing me. I want to travel and see family, I even missed my sisters wedding because of this paperwork :(.

Thanks
I am not sure if you did the right thing by applying to CHANGE your OWP, as it was STILL VALID. And I do not see the reason why they would give you another WP when you have a valid one in your hands.

In my opinion, you should have worked on your current WP and waited to apply for an EXTENSION about a month or two prior to its expiry (again not an expert opinion).

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Thanks
You should also confirm how early you can apply for an extension prior to expiry of current WP.

Did they give you the reason for denying the WP change ?

bamckay1986

Sep 21, 2017
When you receive OWP are you able to start working the next day? I have seen some posts about then having to apply for a SIN. If someone could explain to me what happens after you get your OWP to actually starting work that would be great.

Thanks!!