Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
Wow that's so good to know! You're a week ahead of me. I should probably expect some changes too...
Sorry but I have no idea how long security check is suppose to last. I guess it depends on the home country of the PA or how many countries she/he had been living before... Anywayz, it's a big step forward! ;)
I would expect a month or three. For inlands, CSIS is primarily responsible for this activity. So it is hard to say, given the cloak and dagger nature of the organization...

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
profiler said:
I would expect a month or three. For inlands, CSIS is primarily responsible for this activity. So it is hard to say, given the cloak and dagger nature of the organization...
I was wondering what exactly are they doing under this "security check" stage. They do have the PCC, or they ask for new ones, but except for that.. I don't imagine anyone knocking at my neighbor's door back home asking if I was a trustworthy citizen, or if I paid my utilities in time or if I was littering cigarette buds around my front door...

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
I was wondering what exactly are they doing under this "security check" stage. They do have the PCC, or they ask for new ones, but except for that.. I don't imagine anyone knocking at my neighbor's door back home asking if I was a trustworthy citizen, or if I paid my utilities in time or if I was littering cigarette buds around my front door...
It's mostly about terror links, militia groups, etc. They are assessing the PA to make sure they aren't a risk to the Canadian public.

ethan0080

Sep 25, 2016
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
profiler said:
So myCIC notified us today that our case was updated today...

We have been waiting forever to see that the medical we submitted passed (the physician told us it was a pass just after it was done). Today they finally recognized that.

Still BG in progress and case is open.
Congrat on the update!! :D

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
ethan0080 said:
Congrat on the update!! :D
Thanks, Ethan. Small victory it seems, but it means they are finally working on it!

RV23

Nov 6, 2014
BC
Visa Office......
MISSISSAUGA
NOC Code......
N/A
App. Filed.......
May 10 2016
Doc's Request.
Aug 10 2016
AOR Received.
June 7 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront , passed
Med's Request
May 4 2016
Med's Done....
May 6 2016
profiler said:
Hmm. At this point probably not. Your consultant should have known that you'd need an FBI clearance at the time of application, because it's well known they take a lot of time. If you signal to CIC that you've made the effort to get the PCC, they will wait.

When was your application received?
Alright , so we will just wait then.

Our application was received on May 10 , 2016 and we got the USA PCC request on August 10.

Z7J

Star Member
Jun 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016 / 29-06-2016
RV23 said:
Alright , so we will just wait then.

Our application was received on May 10 , 2016 and we got the USA PCC request on August 10.
How did you notify CIC? Through CSE?
We got the PCC request Aug 10 as well and we haven't heard back from FBI. Deadline is coming up :-[

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Z7J said:
How did you notify CIC? Through CSE?
We got the PCC request Aug 10 as well and we haven't heard back from FBI. Deadline is coming up :-[
Notify them by CSE. Explain you're waiting for FBI. Include a receipt to show ptoof that you tried your best.

Benlie

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Does anyone know we can study while waiting for pr?i will get owp soon but just wonder if i can go back to school ? Thank you so much everyone

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Benlie said:
Does anyone know we can study while waiting for pr?i will get owp soon but just wonder if i can go back to school ? Thank you so much everyone
Unfortunately the OWP does not permit you to study.

Benlie

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
profiler said:
Unfortunately the OWP does not permit you to study.
Thanks for replying , but can i apply for study permit separately? I know it's rare that someone want to study while not working like me but i just dont want to waste that waiiting time , i can't find any information about this

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Benlie said:
Thanks for replying , but can i apply for study permit separately? I know it's rare that someone want to study while not working like me but i just dont want to waste that waiiting time , i can't find any information about this
I totally get it -- my wife wanted to study as well (she can get canadian degrees from my benefits for no fee). Unfortunately you'd need to consult with CIC. You can probably apply for a study permit, but you'd likely have the OWP by the time they respond to your study permit request.

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Benlie said:
Benlie,
You can apply for a study permit, here is the FAQ page about this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=483&top=15

You don't get any special consideration for the study permit by having lodged a PR application. I don't know your status currently, but maybe you fit some of the categories outlined in the FAQ, and if so you can apply directly for a change/extension of stay (can be done online).

Otherwise your only options are applying at a visa office outside of Canada (application submitted online) or doing it by mail through the Los Angeles visa office. Processing a Study Permit can be quick so it is feasible to go back home or go to the USA to do it (I did it in Italy within 2 days). They would issue a new visa in your passport (if required for you) and you would have to enter at a border for them to print off the permit itself. Doing it through mail via Los Angeles wouldn't require leaving Canada and presumably they would mail you back the permit, but I have no idea how long this takes. You do of course need to be accepted to a university and have all that paperwork sorted out in either case.

Important note that once you have the OWP, having this worker status enables you to apply for a study permit online from within Canada. Also note that all study permits allow you to work 20 hours per week in case you still wanted to work part-time.

Benlie

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
polarvolcano said:
Benlie,
You can apply for a study permit, here is the FAQ page about this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=483&top=15

You don't get any special consideration for the study permit by having lodged a PR application. I don't know your status currently, but maybe you fit some of the categories outlined in the FAQ, and if so you can apply directly for a change/extension of stay (can be done online).

Otherwise your only options are applying at a visa office outside of Canada (application submitted online) or doing it by mail through the Los Angeles visa office. Processing a Study Permit can be quick so it is feasible to go back home or go to the USA to do it (I did it in Italy within 2 days). They would issue a new visa in your passport (if required for you) and you would have to enter at a border for them to print off the permit itself. Doing it through mail via Los Angeles wouldn't require leaving Canada and presumably they would mail you back the permit, but I have no idea how long this takes. You do of course need to be accepted to a university and have all that paperwork sorted out in either case.

Important note that once you have the OWP, having this worker status enables you to apply for a study permit online from within Canada. Also note that all study permits allow you to work 20 hours per week in case you still wanted to work part-time.

Thanks for such useful info , from what i read from that FAQ , i think i can apply for study permit in canada, Im holding PGWP and still waiting for OWP approval. But im planning to study part time and working full time so what if i have OWP and study permit at the same time . can i work full time and study part time? You have any contact to cic to ask about this ? Thank you so much , really appreciate

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Benlie said:
Thanks for such useful info , from what i read from that FAQ , i think i can apply for study permit in canada, Im holding PGWP and still waiting for OWP approval. But im planning to study part time and working full time so what if i have OWP and study permit at the same time . can i work full time and study part time? You have any contact to cic to ask about this ? Thank you so much , really appreciate
Great, that's even easier then. I think you just need to apply for the study permit and you are good to go. I think there are many cases where a student graduates, gets a PGWP, finds out there aren't any good jobs and then goes back to school for a masters. Full-time/part-time doesn't matter as long as it is a recognized school (university). You can have both permits.