Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2016 timeline and updates

fabianonetto

Star Member
Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Med's Done....
Upfront
CDNPR2014 said:
i'd recommend calling around to the ontario colleges in your area who offer ESL classes. some colleges in ontario allow spouses and commonlaw partners of a canadian citizen who do not have PR status to pay canadian rates, not international rates. I live in ottawa, worked at a local college and answered this question almost daily. i'm not sure if it's the same at all ontario colleges, and it may not apply to some degree programs, but i do know it is possible. you need to actually call the college and talk to someone in registration who knows the policy. The department I was in offered the ESL courses and there were plenty of people who were able to take advantage of this loophole. private language schools won't offer this, however some of the public colleges funded by the province will.
Thank you so much. Will definitely check on that. Everywhere I called says that we need Approval in Principle for her to pay canadian resident fees. Thanks for the tip. Will look for it.

browning911

Champion Member
Mar 30, 2016
Toronto ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPCMISS
App. Filed.......
30-03-2016
Doc's Request.
Redo IMM5406 and IMM5669 (Jan 2017)
AOR Received.
02-05-2016
Med's Request
00-00-0000
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
00-00-0000
VISA ISSUED...
00-00-0000
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
fabianonetto said:
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I have some kinda special situation that makes my case a little bit different than usual and that's the reason why I'm so desperate.

I had my PR issued through the old Foreign Skilled Worker program (Applied in 2014, visa issued in 2015) and I was single at the time. When my wife and I started dating it was right after my PR was issued and as our relationship got serious and mature, we decided that we were going to get married before my landing so I would include her in my original application and we would both land together.

I suddenly got a job offer in Canada, what made us change our plans. We decided that would be great to move up already employed and since I could sponsor her as a landed immigrant, we decided to move up to Canada, get married here and submit her sponsorship application. But there were some things that I didn't know.

First of all, my wife's English skills are almost none so she has to study English. As a visitor, she doesn't have the right to pay low-cost fees so we have to spend an average of $600 dollars per month for her to go to English classes.

Also, since we're living in Ontario, she is not eligible to apply for OHIP until we pass the first stage of the process (Approval In Principle) that currently is taking something around 1 year at least as per what I can read from other members and that makes us also to pay for her to have a private insurance that covers only urgent/emergency cases. This means she cannot have a family doctor, cannot do regular check-ups and follow-ups regarding some conditions she has. Also, the insurance does not pay for medication.

All those extra costs have brought into a very delicate situation. I know she could apply for an OWP but we saw no reason for such once she does not have enough language skills yet.

All that being said resulted in some very stressful situation not only financial but emotional as well. I ended up having to get a second job to manage to pay for all the expenses and almost doing magic to save some money in case she needs to see a doctor (this already happened. First of all, private insurances are not directly billed by the health provider so you have to pay out of your pocket for the expenses and claim for a reimbursement later. Not to mention medication sometimes can host more than $100 and is not covered). I wake up every day at 5:30AM and get back home no earlier than 7:00PM. We even went to a food bank in the last 2 months in order to help us save some money.

It's hard to hear from the one you love that she feels like a piece of sh..... That she's sorry by not being able to help you and that she feels responsible for you being said and stressed. Plus, OHIP's eligibility rules are tough. In some other provinces, she would be already eligible just by being my dependant or by simply being applied to the PR under Spousal Sponsorship Inland program.

Sorry once again if I used improper terms, I deeply apologize for that, but I spent about 4-5 years of my life dreaming about moving to Canada, studying, preparing myself to be eligible to be a PR and now all the dream has turned to a (temporary) nightmare. Since we moved in we can barely go out to a movie or dinner out. Our lives have struggled and we really see no way out of it till she becomes a PR and can at least have OHIP and pay $30 per quarter to study English.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Thanks for your post Fabian! I have not posted in a while because I have been feeling a little down (and yes impatient and salty too) about how slow this process is. I figured rather than just complain all the time I would just lie low and post again when I was feeling more optimistic.

I just wanted you to know that I fully understand how you are feeling and how tough the process is, especially when you feel like your life is on hold and you have financial issues to deal with. Not to mention the uncertainty. Then their is your partner not wanting to be a burden and wanting to contribute as much as you but not being able to either because they don't have OWP or they have a job but it is not the job they want or it is not a full time job.

Yes I know we inlanders get to be with their partners and we get to have OWPs but there is constantly the weight of your future being decided by someone who does not know you and every day checking to see whether what you want most now depending on the stage you are in (AOR, OWP, AIP, DM, Interview) will happen today.

Then there are the people like Profiler, CDNPR2014 and others too many to mention who always find the time and the patience to help the people on this forum and then you realize how lucky we are to have found this forum and the people on here who we can share, rant and empathize with.

Anyway hope you know that we all feel for you and know things will get better.

Thanks for putting some air in my wings. ;)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
fabianonetto said:
Thank you so much. Will definitely check on that. Everywhere I called says that we need Approval in Principle for her to pay canadian resident fees. Thanks for the tip. Will look for it.
mind if i ask where you are located?

FYI... a lot of college employees aren't going to know about this rule since it's not a usual situation (especially if you are only dealing with front line admissions/registration employees), so that's why you want to talk to someone in charge in registration. our department didn't know the rules, and we had to investigate it ourselves when people were telling us we were wrong - which we were! Also, if the college has an international student centre or department, call and talk to them.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
browning911 said:
(and yes impatient and salty too)
Salty..... SALTY?! C'mon.

browning911 said:
I just wanted you to know that I fully understand how you are feeling and how tough the process is, especially when you feel like your life is on hold and you have financial issues to deal with. Not to mention the uncertainty. Then their is your partner not wanting to be a burden and wanting to contribute as much as you but not being able to either because they don't have OWP or they have a job but it is not the job they want or it is not a full time job.

Yes I know we inlanders get to be with their partners and we get to have OWPs but there is constantly the weight of your future being decided by someone who does not know you and every day checking to see whether what you want most now depending on the stage you are in (AOR, OWP, AIP, DM, Interview) will happen today.
I have a secret for how the Profilers deal with this. We don't. We ignore it. We will deal with CIC if they ask for anything more, otherwise, we just live life. Keep in mind, according to the stats that CIC issues, inland has an 85% approval rate. So, we just literally forget about it.

browning911 said:
Then there are the people like Profiler, CDNPR2014 and others too many to mention who always find the time and the patience to help the people on this forum and then you realize how lucky we are to have found this forum and the people on here who we can share, rant and empathize with.
Moreso CDNPR2014 and Ponga. Not so much Profiler. He is a salty little man who, like Sheldon Cooper, obsesses over ridiculous things that he has decided he must understand. This forum is my 12-step program.

browning911 said:
Anyway hope you know that we all feel for you and know things will get better.
Of course they will. You will look back when your partner has their Canadian Passport, and you will laugh.

fabianonetto

Star Member
Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Med's Done....
Upfront
CDNPR2014 said:
mind if i ask where you are located?

FYI... a lot of college employees aren't going to know about this rule since it's not a usual situation (especially if you are only dealing with front line admissions/registration employees), so that's why you want to talk to someone in charge in registration. our department didn't know the rules, and we had to investigate it ourselves when people were telling us we were wrong - which we were! Also, if the college has an international student centre or department, call and talk to them.
I am in Mississauga

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
fabianonetto said:
I am in Mississauga
http://www.immigrationpeel.ca/en/learning/english-as-a-second-language-esl.asp

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
fabianonetto said:
I am in Mississauga
then the school i worked at wouldn't work for you. i'd imagine there are local colleges in toronto who may offer this fee reduction. you have to look at the colleges, not universities.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
then the school i worked at wouldn't work for you. i'd imagine there are local colleges in toronto who may offer this fee reduction. you have to look at the colleges, not universities.
Peel District School Board, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board, and Sheridan College offer services. See the link I posted.

fabianonetto

Star Member
Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Med's Done....
Upfront
CDNPR2014 said:
i'd recommend calling around to the ontario colleges in your area who offer ESL classes. some colleges in ontario allow spouses and commonlaw partners of a canadian citizen who do not have PR status to pay canadian rates, not international rates. I live in ottawa, worked at a local college and answered this question almost daily. i'm not sure if it's the same at all ontario colleges, and it may not apply to some degree programs, but i do know it is possible. you need to actually call the college and talk to someone in registration who knows the policy. The department I was in offered the ESL courses and there were plenty of people who were able to take advantage of this loophole. private language schools won't offer this, however some of the public colleges funded by the province will.
The point is the damn AIP. Are you saying that there are public colleges who will provide English classes for sponsored spouses even before AIP?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
fabianonetto said:
The point is the damn AIP. Are you saying that there are public colleges who will provide English classes for sponsored spouses even before AIP?
yes i am. the college i worked at did not require an AIP. they required a marriage certificate to prove marriage and the visitor was allowed to pay canadian rates. it's certainly worth calling the schools Profiler listed.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
fabianonetto said:
The link above also states no AIP required. If fact, I found it while searching for FREE ESL in Mississauga.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
fabianonetto said:
Are you saying that there are public colleges who will provide English classes for sponsored spouses even before AIP?
Public colleges and universities are funded by the Provincial (and in part by the Federal) government(s). It makes no sense to allow people to immigrate and not help them to learn the language... so, they do offer free ESL.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
profiler said:
It makes no sense to allow people to immigrate and not help them to learn the language... so, they do offer free ESL.
you're talking about 2 different things here. "allowing people to immigrate and not help them" suggests the person has already immigrated and is landed, IMO. there are many free services for LANDED immigrants. the issue is many of these places do not offer services without AIP or proof of landing. For example, the federally funded English program LINC and assessment for services through Lasi World Skills require documentation of landing, eligibility for PR or refugee status. they will not allow those without this form to register as it can risk their funding for the program. these programs are audited by CIC, and documentation must be presented for EVERYONE who registers at the time of registration or the person is turned away. this isn't to say the places you listed don't provide free classes to spouses of canadian citizens who are not PR yet, however the link doesn't specify that those who are not PRs and don't have AIP can apply for these classes. If these are free classes, i'm going to assume those who are visitors are not eligible. Generally, the Language and Assessment Centre requires a landing document or AIP, as described above since they are more than likely providing classes through the LINC program.

What i'm talking about is different than free classes. what i'm saying is that the colleges who offer English programs outside the ones sponsored by CIC may allow spouses of canadian citizens who are not PR's yet pay the Canadian price for classes, not the international price. Free classes, in my experience as someone who worked for a LINC program provider is ONLY available to those with the proper documentation - AIP or a landing document.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
you're talking about 2 different things here. "allowing people to immigrate and not help them" suggests the person has already immigrated and is landed, IMO. there are many free services for LANDED immigrants. the issue is many of these places do not offer services without AIP or proof of landing. For example, the federally funded English program LINC and assessment for services through Lasi World Skills require documentation of landing, eligibility for PR or refugee status. they will not allow those without this form to register as it can risk their funding for the program. these programs are audited by CIC, and documentation must be presented for EVERYONE who registers at the time of registration or the person is turned away. this isn't to say the places you listed don't provide free classes to spouses of canadian citizens who are not PR yet, however it's not as cut and dry as "not helping them learn the language".
No, I am talking about the same things. I am aware of Landed immigrant assistance, I am also aware of services in process. Like you, I to work for a publicly funded school (a university). I am more keenly aware of services for landed v. not because we have been working through all of those at home.

The above link requires the OP's partner to make an appointment for an assessment: http://www.immigrationpeel.ca/en/about-peel-region/language-assessment-centres.asp and to qualify, she must have:
- You must have your current English skills assessed
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Your first language (mother tongue) is not English

fabianonetto

Star Member
Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Med's Done....
Upfront
profiler said:
I wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying before I just respond. The apology is mine to offer.
No worries

Try reaching out here: settlement.org/ontario/education/english-as-a-second-language-esl/esl-for-adults/what-is-the-language-instruction-for-newcomers-to-canada-linc-program
Needs AIP. Have checked that already. The AIP is the damn pain in my b...

Also local YMCA's have immigrant assistance centres (typically). The one local to the Profiler's does. They generally will do what they can to make sure that she can get English. They did what they could (for 'free') to help Ms Profiler clean up her resume and find work.
She's going to the English Cafe twice a week for conversation practice but that's pretty much all they have at least in Mississauga. Will check other places.

Do you have a family doctor? Did you roster her with that doctor? Ms Profiler is rostered as a patient with my family's doctor and the FHN that his office is a member of. Visits are $40 according to his pay scale. The Profilers also are not using any private insurance, except for the supplementary extended benefits from work. Also in Ontario.
I do. She can't register with the doctor since she doesn't have AIP. What does FHN stand for?

Do you have extended benefits?
I do but she's not eligible for them since she doesn't have OHIP.

If I can make a suggestion here. I think she will need to get ESL sooner than later. As it stands, doctors would require to communicate with her in English. So, that should be the highest priority. So check into the Y, or the link I pasted above. Also, I am wondering if she is in or out of status?
She is doing ESL but we're paying for it. 600 bucks a month. Yes, everytime she needs to see a doctor I gotta be there to translate. She's got visitor status valid till October 2017 but I really hope this ends before that.