Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
In a bit of a complex situation and just need to make sure I am getting the rules right.
I'm a landed permanent resident since 1-2 years back and after all this become pregnant. I am yet to move to canada but was planning to this year but then "life" (in literal terms) happened. In order to make an informed decision I'm wondering the following:
1) If moving to canada after giving birth to the baby will I be able to sponsor the child to canada in the future (provided I reside in canada and am not on social assistance at the time- the general sponsoring rule)? Will the child have to undergo a medical examination of some sort or do I need to inform cic for some reason?
I obviously could not declare my child on the application for PR nor let cic know prior to landing since I was not pregnant at that time.

2) Ideally I would move to canada already because my plan was to do so. However if I did I would not qualify for OHIP yet, which obviously sucks when expecting to give birth! I read stories about newborn babies born in canada being admitted to neonatal care and the parent being billed thousands of dollars. Could this be the case for a newborn baby that is staying permanently in canada with their parent that's a permanent resident or were these "tourism" cases?

I appreciate all your feedback!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In a bit of a complex situation and just need to make sure I am getting the rules right.
I'm a landed permanent resident since 1-2 years back and after all this become pregnant. I am yet to move to canada but was planning to this year but then "life" (in literal terms) happened. In order to make an informed decision I'm wondering the following:
1) If moving to canada after giving birth to the baby will I be able to sponsor the child to canada in the future (provided I reside in canada and am not on social assistance at the time- the general sponsoring rule)? Will the child have to undergo a medical examination of some sort or do I need to inform cic for some reason?
I obviously could not declare my child on the application for PR nor let cic know prior to landing since I was not pregnant at that time.

2) Ideally I would move to canada already because my plan was to do so. However if I did I would not qualify for OHIP yet, which obviously sucks when expecting to give birth! I read stories about newborn babies born in canada being admitted to neonatal care and the parent being billed thousands of dollars. Could this be the case for a newborn baby that is staying permanently in canada with their parent that's a permanent resident or were these "tourism" cases?

I appreciate all your feedback!
1. You can sponsor your child. You must also meet the PR Residency Obligation. The child would need a medical.

2. Yes, that could be the case.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Thanks canuck. In response to your answer 1) if there is no excessive healthcare threshold for dependent children why would they ask for a medical? 2) why could this be the case in the above case?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks canuck. In response to your answer 1) if there is no excessive healthcare threshold for dependent children why would they ask for a medical? 2) why could this be the case in the above case?
1) Disease like TB that are a danger to the Canadian public. You cannot be approved for PR if you have a disease like TB, even if you are exempt from excessive demand.
2) If someone doesn't have OHIP coverage and ends up in hospital, they (or their parents) are responsible for the charges. Doesn't matter if it's tourism or someone who is waiting for PR. No OHIP coverage = you pay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To sponsor the child you would need to be compliant with your RO. Will that be possible? Are your from a visa exempt country? If not your baby will need to attempt to get a TRV. If you get denied you can try a TRP. If you get denied for both your spouse will need to go to Canada and sponsor the baby while you stay in your country.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
1) Disease like TB that are a danger to the Canadian public. You cannot be approved for PR if you have a disease like TB, even if you are exempt from excessive demand.
2) If someone doesn't have OHIP coverage and ends up in hospital, they (or their parents) are responsible for the charges. Doesn't matter if it's tourism or someone who is waiting for PR. No OHIP coverage = you pay.
Scylla do you have a link (cic preferred) to info about diseases that are a danger to Canadian public where a dependent child could be denied?
2) if a child is born in canada wouldn't they become immediate citizens and thus have immediate OHIP-coverage? Or thats what I'm trying to understand. Do they become immediate citizens and have immediate access to OHIP? Assuming they are staying in canada permanently

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
To sponsor the child you would need to be compliant with your RO. Will that be possible? Are your from a visa exempt country? If not your baby will need to attempt to get a TRV. If you get denied you can try a TRP. If you get denied for both your spouse will need to go to Canada and sponsor the baby while you stay in your country.
My brain might be slow but what is RO? TRV= Travel visa? TRP?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Scylla do you have a link (cic preferred) to info about diseases that are a danger to Canadian public where a dependent child could be denied?
2) if a child is born in canada wouldn't they become immediate citizens and thus have immediate OHIP-coverage? Or thats what I'm trying to understand. Do they become immediate citizens and have immediate access to OHIP? Assuming they are staying in canada permanently
If you are a PR your child would have immediate healthcare coverage. The only reason your child would be denied Pr would be if they had a communicable disease that would be dangerous to others. If anything children would need treatment before coming to Canada but that is a very rare scenario. Your biggest issue is that it looks like you may not meet your RO if you give birth in your home country so would not be able to sponsor your child until you met the 2 out of 5 year requirement. You would also have to hope your child got a TRV to come to Canada with you for you to sponsor them. Do you have a partner? Are they Canadian or a PR? If you are a single parent you will have to see if you will make enough to pay for childcare and your living expenses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) I'm not aware of a definitive list of illnesses.
2) Yes - however the birth will not be covered or any ICU costs resulting from a problematic birth. And there's technically no cap on what this could cost if there are serious issues.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/refusals-inadmissibility/danger-public-health-public-safety.html

The app would likely be put on hold pending proof of treatment of the disease, but denied.

Eligibility for provincial health coverage tends to depend on the status/residency of the parents, not the citizenship of the child. This prevents birth tourists from leeching off our system when they give birth and the child has complications.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Thanks for the clarification, saved in memory. Of course I realise I would need to comply with my RO in order to sponsor a child. The plan is that I will no matter what, even if it might not be with a lot of moving room. I am from a visa exempt country so TRV is not necessary, right?

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
If you are a PR your child would have immediate healthcare coverage. The only reason your child would be denied Pr would be if they had a communicable disease that would be dangerous to others. If anything children would need treatment before coming to Canada but that is a very rare scenario. Your biggest issue is that it looks like you may not meet your RO if you give birth in your home country so would not be able to sponsor your child until you met the 2 out of 5 year requirement. You would also have to hope your child got a TRV to come to Canada with you for you to sponsor them. Do you have a partner? Are they Canadian or a PR? If you are a single parent you will have to see if you will make enough to pay for childcare and your living expenses.
Canuck, do you mean that cic would need to see proves that I have stayed 2 years of out of 5, in other words I wouldn't be able to sponsor until the 5 year mark has passed to show proofs that I stayed in Canada for at least 2 yrs? It is not enough with the intention and the fact that I'd move there in time to be able to meet the RO requirement?
I am worried about childcare particularly daycare which I heard was ridiculously expensive. I hope that even with a sponsorship that it'd be possible to apply for a price reduction for daycare for the child.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
1) I'm not aware of a definitive list of illnesses.
2) Yes - however the birth will not be covered or any ICU costs resulting from a problematic birth. And there's technically no cap on what this could cost if there are serious issues.
1) I found a link to what I believe you are referring to as "danger to public health" and "danger to public safety" right? In neither of those cases does it say that a sponsored child is excepted from the rule.
2) Sure any costs related to me, the mother without OHIP-coverage but if theres an issue with the child and not me per se surely the costs should be covered as the child is "already" a OHIP-covered citizen, right? Perhaps there are medical insurances that could cover birth "complications" for the mother, at least one could hope. I realise no insurance company will cover expenses from a naturally occuring birth.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) I found a link to what I believe you are referring to as "danger to public health" and "danger to public safety" right? In neither of those cases does it say that a sponsored child is excepted from the rule.
2) Sure any costs related to me, the mother without OHIP-coverage but if theres an issue with the child and not me per se surely the costs should be covered as the child is "already" a OHIP-covered citizen, right? Perhaps there are medical insurances that could cover birth "complications" for the mother, at least one could hope. I realise no insurance company will cover expenses from a naturally occuring birth.
1) Correct - children are not exempt from the danger to public health clause. These apply to everyone. If someone has TB for example, this needs to be cured before PR will be approved.
2) Any emergency care the baby requires immediately after birth (e.g. ICU) will not be covered by OHIP and is classified as related to the birth. If you search, you will find articles about parents being saddled with very high bills. Having said that, this is obviously extremely rare. Medical insurance to cover pregnancy related complications is available but must purchased before pregnancy.

Reactions: mira_johnson