+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring family members

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by mira_johnson, Dec 4, 2019.

  1. #1 mira_johnson, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:34 PM
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    In a bit of a complex situation and just need to make sure I am getting the rules right.
    I'm a landed permanent resident since 1-2 years back and after all this become pregnant. I am yet to move to canada but was planning to this year but then "life" (in literal terms) happened. In order to make an informed decision I'm wondering the following:
    1) If moving to canada after giving birth to the baby will I be able to sponsor the child to canada in the future (provided I reside in canada and am not on social assistance at the time- the general sponsoring rule)? Will the child have to undergo a medical examination of some sort or do I need to inform cic for some reason?
    I obviously could not declare my child on the application for PR nor let cic know prior to landing since I was not pregnant at that time.

    2) Ideally I would move to canada already because my plan was to do so. However if I did I would not qualify for OHIP yet, which obviously sucks when expecting to give birth! I read stories about newborn babies born in canada being admitted to neonatal care and the parent being billed thousands of dollars. Could this be the case for a newborn baby that is staying permanently in canada with their parent that's a permanent resident or were these "tourism" cases?

    I appreciate all your feedback!
  2. 1. You can sponsor your child. You must also meet the PR Residency Obligation. The child would need a medical.

    2. Yes, that could be the case.
  3. #3 mira_johnson, Dec 5, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Thanks canuck. In response to your answer 1) if there is no excessive healthcare threshold for dependent children why would they ask for a medical? 2) why could this be the case in the above case?
  4. 1) Disease like TB that are a danger to the Canadian public. You cannot be approved for PR if you have a disease like TB, even if you are exempt from excessive demand.
    2) If someone doesn't have OHIP coverage and ends up in hospital, they (or their parents) are responsible for the charges. Doesn't matter if it's tourism or someone who is waiting for PR. No OHIP coverage = you pay.
  5. To sponsor the child you would need to be compliant with your RO. Will that be possible? Are your from a visa exempt country? If not your baby will need to attempt to get a TRV. If you get denied you can try a TRP. If you get denied for both your spouse will need to go to Canada and sponsor the baby while you stay in your country.
  6. Scylla do you have a link (cic preferred) to info about diseases that are a danger to Canadian public where a dependent child could be denied?
    2) if a child is born in canada wouldn't they become immediate citizens and thus have immediate OHIP-coverage? Or thats what I'm trying to understand. Do they become immediate citizens and have immediate access to OHIP? Assuming they are staying in canada permanently
  7. My brain might be slow but what is RO? TRV= Travel visa? TRP?
  8. RO is residency obligation. You have to meet the 2 out of 5 year requirement to sponsor. TRV is temporary resident visa. TRP temporary resident permit.
  9. If you are a PR your child would have immediate healthcare coverage. The only reason your child would be denied Pr would be if they had a communicable disease that would be dangerous to others. If anything children would need treatment before coming to Canada but that is a very rare scenario. Your biggest issue is that it looks like you may not meet your RO if you give birth in your home country so would not be able to sponsor your child until you met the 2 out of 5 year requirement. You would also have to hope your child got a TRV to come to Canada with you for you to sponsor them. Do you have a partner? Are they Canadian or a PR? If you are a single parent you will have to see if you will make enough to pay for childcare and your living expenses.
  10. 1) I'm not aware of a definitive list of illnesses.
    2) Yes - however the birth will not be covered or any ICU costs resulting from a problematic birth. And there's technically no cap on what this could cost if there are serious issues.
  11. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/refusals-inadmissibility/danger-public-health-public-safety.html

    The app would likely be put on hold pending proof of treatment of the disease, but denied.

    Eligibility for provincial health coverage tends to depend on the status/residency of the parents, not the citizenship of the child. This prevents birth tourists from leeching off our system when they give birth and the child has complications.
  12. Thanks for the clarification, saved in memory. Of course I realise I would need to comply with my RO in order to sponsor a child. The plan is that I will no matter what, even if it might not be with a lot of moving room. I am from a visa exempt country so TRV is not necessary, right?
  13. Canuck, do you mean that cic would need to see proves that I have stayed 2 years of out of 5, in other words I wouldn't be able to sponsor until the 5 year mark has passed to show proofs that I stayed in Canada for at least 2 yrs? It is not enough with the intention and the fact that I'd move there in time to be able to meet the RO requirement?
    I am worried about childcare particularly daycare which I heard was ridiculously expensive. I hope that even with a sponsorship that it'd be possible to apply for a price reduction for daycare for the child.
  14. 1) I found a link to what I believe you are referring to as "danger to public health" and "danger to public safety" right? In neither of those cases does it say that a sponsored child is excepted from the rule.
    2) Sure any costs related to me, the mother without OHIP-coverage but if theres an issue with the child and not me per se surely the costs should be covered as the child is "already" a OHIP-covered citizen, right? Perhaps there are medical insurances that could cover birth "complications" for the mother, at least one could hope. I realise no insurance company will cover expenses from a naturally occuring birth.
  15. 1) Correct - children are not exempt from the danger to public health clause. These apply to everyone. If someone has TB for example, this needs to be cured before PR will be approved.
    2) Any emergency care the baby requires immediately after birth (e.g. ICU) will not be covered by OHIP and is classified as related to the birth. If you search, you will find articles about parents being saddled with very high bills. Having said that, this is obviously extremely rare. Medical insurance to cover pregnancy related complications is available but must purchased before pregnancy.

Share This Page