+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

ARVINDATWAL

Star Member
Apr 14, 2016
Hi there, for TRV and SOWP, we do not need to show funds for your wife's application if you are working in Canada in NOC A,B or O category.
hi bro..i am an international student.. can i apply online for her application? i just generated her account on CIC web and they asked for documents to upload, but i didn't find any upload option related to proof of funds, marriage proofs and all. please help me.
thanx
Arvind

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks a lot for for best wishes, I am also v. happy! while filling application form, I filled accordingly, as per your valuable advice! Thanks a lot...below in blue are my further queries :)
Most welcome mate. :)

As my WP also approved for 1 year based upon my job contract of initial 1 year but renewable afterwards, so my employer will firstly renew my job contract (prior to first yr. expiry), then I will apply for my WP renewal together with SOWP (on basis on my renewed job contract)....Now, in parallel here's my strategy:
  • within 2-3 months of arrival, we will apply for Ontario PNP, What are chances for PNP selection to get PR, in my situation? I don't know about PNP much, requirements, scoring etc...but while having a job in LMIA-exempted work permit in toronto, chances are favorable to be selected for PNP? If your NOC is O,A or B you can easily file for PNP and as mentioned by you that your CRS is less than 400, once you reach there and join at your new job, you can show that you have a valid job offer and you will get additional points for the same in Express Entry scheme also, both for a valid job offer and Ontario PNP separately. Then it will be almost sure that you will be getting ITA in no time under express entry :)
  • I am also in EE pool with CRS <400 (struggling with IELTS money making game), so I have a plan that once I would be there, I will improve CELPIP and also after 1 yr of Canadian experience (CEC) I will get 50-200 points for EE, so will immediately get ITA. do you think that's good plan for PNP and to pursue EE for PP? any other suggestion? If your IELTS score is enough for qualifying to submit an Express Entry, you do not need to take up another exam as you will be having PNP and a valid job offer. That will shoot your CRS points way ahead of whats required to get an ITA under EE. You should not wait for one year to go further with EE. PNP and a valid job offer would be enough. EE is wayy faster than normal Federal PR process and the fee is almost the half of what they charge for Federal ones. Cheers!

Reactions: jojee2k6

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
hi bro..i am an international student.. can i apply online for her application? i just generated her account on CIC web and they asked for documents to upload, but i didn't find any upload option related to proof of funds, marriage proofs and all. please help me.
thanx
Arvind
Hi Arvind, ofcourse you can file for her SOWP application, but being on student visa you'll be getting limited working hours per week also, thats 20 hours per week during semesters/terms and full time in vacations, you would need to show funds in your case mate. Which forms have you submitted so far and on page are you at the moment?

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Most welcome mate. :)

As my WP also approved for 1 year based upon my job contract of initial 1 year but renewable afterwards, so my employer will firstly renew my job contract (prior to first yr. expiry), then I will apply for my WP renewal together with SOWP (on basis on my renewed job contract)....Now, in parallel here's my strategy:
  • within 2-3 months of arrival, we will apply for Ontario PNP, What are chances for PNP selection to get PR, in my situation? I don't know about PNP much, requirements, scoring etc...but while having a job in LMIA-exempted work permit in toronto, chances are favorable to be selected for PNP? If your NOC is O,A or B you can easily file for PNP and as mentioned by you that your CRS is less than 400, once you reach there and join at your new job, you can show that you have a valid job offer and you will get additional points for the same in Express Entry scheme also, both for a valid job offer and Ontario PNP separately. Then it will be almost sure that you will be getting ITA in no time under express entry :)
but for Ontario PNP (OINP), CRS should be >= 400, instead mine is <400. how to apply after reaching and joining the job?
  • I am also in EE pool with CRS <400 (struggling with IELTS money making game), so I have a plan that once I would be there, I will improve CELPIP and also after 1 yr of Canadian experience (CEC) I will get 50-200 points for EE, so will immediately get ITA. do you think that's good plan for PNP and to pursue EE for PP? any other suggestion? If your IELTS score is enough for qualifying to submit an Express Entry, you do not need to take up another exam as you will be having PNP and a valid job offer. That will shoot your CRS points way ahead of whats required to get an ITA under EE. You should not wait for one year to go further with EE. PNP and a valid job offer would be enough. EE is wayy faster than normal Federal PR process and the fee is almost the half of what they charge for Federal ones. Cheers!

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Talking about EE, have you done educational assessment and ielts once? i assumed you did. If i assumed correctly, did you add the points for a valid job offer already in your score accounting to >400??

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Talking about EE, have you done educational assessment and ielts once? i assumed you did. If i assumed correctly, did you add the points for a valid job offer already in your score accounting to >400??
Yes I have done ECA, IELTS, also for spouse, in total 376 CRS, I am in EE Pool...but I can't claim points for my LMIA exempted work Permit (as postdoc), because:
Without LMIA I would need a few things to claim a valid job offer (50/200 points).
a) to be currently working for my employer. (which I'm not yet, as to join)
b) to work for my employer a year (which I haven't yet)
c) to have a employer specific work permit (closed work permit).
d) to have a job offer valid for a year after receiving PR.
So best bet is: I work for a year on this work permit, and my score will boost around 600 (one-shot ITA).
But as you suggested about PNP. specifically OINP, which requires CRS >=400, which I haven't, so how can I pursue OINP, best bet is I improve via IELTS or CELPIP to get CRS>=400, then OINP = 600, EE>=1000 --> guaranteed ITA.
So, two strategies:
  1. In my first year, after arrival, I improve language to reach 400, go for OINP get selected for PR via EE.
  2. OR at completion of 1st yr, I add my CEC inland work experience to get 200 points, CRS>600 --> guaranted PR via EE.
So, how can I pursue OINP with this job, at arrival during first year, instead I don't meet CRS>=400?

Last edited:

ARVINDATWAL

Star Member
Apr 14, 2016
Hi Arvind, of course you can file for her SOWP application, but being on student visa you'll be getting limited working hours per week also, that's 20 hours per week during semesters/terms and full time in vacations, you would need to show funds in your case mate. Which forms have you submitted so far and on page are you at the moment?
I have taken the statement of 15000$ in my account and around 11000$ in my wife's account. I created an account on her behalf on CiC web with GC key. then they asked for few questions and then a document upload checklist had arrived. then they asked for below-mentioned documents:
1. IMM 1295 form
2. family information form
3. passport
4. digital photo
5. medical (we have done with the medical already)
6. application for temporary resident visa (optional)
7. Letter of application
8. 255$ application fee

thanx

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Yes I have done ECA, IELTS, also for spouse, in total 376 CRS, I am in EE Pool...but I can't claim points for my LMIA exempted work Permit (as postdoc), because:
Without LMIA I would need a few things to claim a valid job offer (50/200 points).
a) to be currently working for my employer. (which I'm not yet, as to join)
b) to work for my employer a year (which I haven't yet)
c) to have a employer specific work permit (closed work permit).
d) to have a job offer valid for a year after receiving PR.
So best bet is: I work for a year on this work permit, and my score will boost around 600 (one-shot ITA).
But as you suggested about PNP. specifically OINP, which requires CRS >=400, which I haven't, so how can I pursue OINP, best bet is I improve via IELTS or CELPIP to get CRS>=400, then OINP = 600, EE>=1000 --> guaranteed ITA.
So, two strategies:
  1. In my first year, after arrival, I improve language to reach 400, go for OINP get selected for PR via EE.
  2. OR at completion of 1st yr, I add my CEC inland work experience to get 200 points, CRS>600 --> guaranted PR via EE.
So, how can I pursue OINP with this job, at arrival during first year, instead I don't meet CRS>=400?
Oh my, go for IELTS again. If you need the learning material, i have it with me. IELTS Cambridge edition till 10th Edition I believe. I prepared myself for a month and scored 8 bands in total. If you are able to score 7,7,7 for speaking, reading and writing and 8 for listening, you will get 30 additional points in EE. So prepare for a month or two by yourself and give it a try.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
I have taken the statement of 15000$ in my account and around 11000$ in my wife's account. I created an account on her behalf on CiC web with GC key. then they asked for few questions and then a document upload checklist had arrived. then they asked for below-mentioned documents:
1. IMM 1295 form
3. passport
4. digital photo
6. application for temporary resident visa (optional)
7. Letter of application
8. 255$ application fee

thanx
1. IMM 1295 form
3. passport
4. digital photo
6. application for temporary resident visa (optional) - MAKE sure you file this with OWP. Dont conside it optional at the moment.
7. Letter of application - Create one pdf file with all the documentation, if you miss on any important document here, CIC will ask for it again and most probably will call you spouse for an interview and ask her to bring the documentation along. Providing all the documentation will make sure that the chances for an interview are minimum.
8. 255$ application fee

All the best!

steev@123

Jan 10, 2018
My spouse had a study permit and i came on OWP to Manitoba. Then she applied for PGWP and i applied for OWP again and my file got refused reason mentioned Spouse not having a Job in NOC 0,A or B. Her current NOC is C.
Since i came 4 months back i could not apply for PNP. Now that she is completing 6 months fulltime work in FEB mid she will apply for PNP.
My file was refused on Jan 7, 2018 and am restoration status. Do i apply for Visitor visa, if yes then when should i apply or do you have any suggestions or inputs.
Please advise.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
My spouse had a study permit and i came on OWP to Manitoba. Then she applied for PGWP and i applied for OWP again and my file got refused reason mentioned Spouse not having a Job in NOC 0,A or B. Her current NOC is C.
Since i came 4 months back i could not apply for PNP. Now that she is completing 6 months fulltime work in FEB mid she will apply for PNP.
My file was refused on Jan 7, 2018 and am restoration status. Do i apply for Visitor visa, if yes then when should i apply or do you have any suggestions or inputs.
Please advise.
Hi Steev,

For SOWP for you, your spouse should be working in NOC O,A or B category and as she is under NOC C, there are high chances of refusal for your SOWP even with PNP of your wife. My suggestion would be to apply for visitor visa at the moment and once you get that, then try for SOWP.\
It does not matter if your file was refused recently or long time back. They might ask for the reason for applying visitor visa after SOWP refusal.
Best bet would be to apply for visitor visa once she gets her PNP. But getting a PNP also takes around 2 months time from the date of application.
So in total there will be a wait time of 3-4 months from now.
If your wife was working under NOC A,B or C then there was no need to show proof of funds even for your SOWP.
In current situation. Apply for a visitor visa now providing the employment documents for your wife and proof of funds for you atleast if not for your wife.
If you can show proof of funds for both of you that will be better.

Reactions: Miracle2018

steev@123

Jan 10, 2018
Hi Steev,

For SOWP for you, your spouse should be working in NOC O,A or B category and as she is under NOC C, there are high chances of refusal for your SOWP even with PNP of your wife. My suggestion would be to apply for visitor visa at the moment and once you get that, then try for SOWP.\
It does not matter if your file was refused recently or long time back. They might ask for the reason for applying visitor visa after SOWP refusal.
Best bet would be to apply for visitor visa once she gets her PNP. But getting a PNP also takes around 2 months time from the date of application.
So in total there will be a wait time of 3-4 months from now.
If your wife was working under NOC A,B or C then there was no need to show proof of funds even for your SOWP.
In current situation. Apply for a visitor visa now providing the employment documents for your wife and proof of funds for you atleast if not for your wife.
If you can show proof of funds for both of you that will be better.
Thanks Gaurav for your quick reply.
I have final questions
1. The restoration time of 90 days is from expiry of work permit or refusal day of the work permit? Is it ok to file for visitor visa during the last week of restoration status?
2. How much approximate funds to be shown say about 5K $ in each of them accounts good enough?
3. Once PNP approved (NOC C) for my wife do we both qualify for Open Work permit or only my wife. Is it good idea to get this done in border or online?

Please suggest.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks Gaurav for your quick reply.
I have final questions
1. The restoration time of 90 days is from expiry of work permit or refusal day of the work permit? Is it ok to file for visitor visa during the last week of restoration status?
2. How much approximate funds to be shown say about 5K $ in each of them accounts good enough?
3. Once PNP approved (NOC C) for my wife do we both qualify for Open Work permit or only my wife. Is it good idea to get this done in border or online?

Please suggest.
1. The restoration time of 90 days is from expiry of work permit or refusal day of the work permit? Is it ok to file for visitor visa during the last week of restoration status? Processing time for visitor visa is approximately a month, applying in last week might create problems for your stay untill the visitor visa is granted. For this, i would suggest to get in touch with CIC canada helpline and get more clarification from them.
2. How much approximate funds to be shown say about 5K $ in each of them accounts good enough? For a visitor visa, funds should be around 10k in your account for a positive note. Your wife is already working there, a little less funds in her account will also be okay. Basically you both have to prove that you guys have enough funds to support the duration of your stay.
3. Once PNP approved (NOC C) for my wife do we both qualify for Open Work permit or only my wife. Is it good idea to get this done in border or online? PNP is given only to the applicant and not to spouse. However, once the PNP is there, you both can file for PR simultaneously along with her PNP. Applying for PNP online is always better. Document transportation time we can save by applying online.

ARVINDATWAL

Star Member
Apr 14, 2016
1. IMM 1295 form
3. passport
4. digital photo
6. application for temporary resident visa (optional) - MAKE sure you file this with OWP. Dont conside it optional at the moment.
7. Letter of application - Create one pdf file with all the documentation, if you miss on any important document here, CIC will ask for it again and most probably will call you spouse for an interview and ask her to bring the documentation along. Providing all the documentation will make sure that the chances for an interview are minimum.
8. 255$ application fee

All the best!
thanx for the information bro

Reactions: gauravsharma11210

Ravi saab

Oct 28, 2016
Niagara Falls
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......