+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
I applied TRV visa for my spouse it got rejected however i applied GCMS notes, it took more than three months now i reviewed and applied SOWP on 25 of December. Does any one know how long does it take to get medical request? although i am in Canada but that application would be considered as Outside Canada Application right?. and previously we applied at the Chandigarh Office it seems to be very busy throughout the year. i just wanted to know where the file is being processed? help me please
Hi Ravi, Medical request can come anytime if the documents you provided with the application are complete. If they need any other document they might call your spouse for an interview also. CIC does conduct random interviews at Chanakyapuri High COmission of Canada office new delhi..
Normal processing time is for 12 weeks. The applicant is in India so yes, it will be considered as outside canada. Chandigarh office sends the documents to New Delhi office and thus the transport time increases the total time taken to process a file.Even after passport request, you will submit the passport to Chandigarh VFS Global, which will send the passport to High Comission of Canada New Delhi office for stamping. Travel time will increase at that time too.

geeti4546

Sep 22, 2017
Ofcourse yes, if the normal processing times have breached, you can use the tool on CIC website to submit a case specific inquiry for your region.
Gaurav issue is when applied it was 17 weeks processing time when 17 weeks has passed it shows 22 weeks processing time so I am just confuse which processing time should I follow

Zaruwar

May 5, 2017
Firstly, my apologies for replying this late. Paper based application takes time. Have you got the application number and UNID? For paper based applications, it takes time to get updated in the system and thus takes more time. What is the status right now on it?
There’s no Status just says it’s processing and at this time they don’t need any information

geeti4546

Sep 22, 2017
Hey when did you apply?
I applied on 28 august paper based from Pakistan with upfront medical i linked application with online account on 14th October on 7th November they changed the status that we do not need further document ,and you passed the medical exam since then no update

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Gaurav issue is when applied it was 17 weeks processing time when 17 weeks has passed it shows 22 weeks processing time so I am just confuse which processing time should I follow
The latest one which shows on CIC website dear. The normal processing times change each week. Keep a check on it. Once you see the normal processing times show less than yours, submit a request for case specific inquiry.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
I applied on 28 august paper based from Pakistan with upfront medical i linked application with online account on 14th October on 7th November they changed the status that we do not need further document ,and you passed the medical exam since then no update
Your are in Canada at the moment i suppose. Just check once on CIC website if your application has breached the normal processing times, submit an inquiry to get update on your application. However, their turn around time is for 28 days for outside of canada applications. Get in touch with your LOCAL MP office in Canada to further look into the matter. They have their representatives which will help you free of cost. The LOCAL MP office will just ask you to provide them a letter of authorization. Once you provide them that. You will see things moving within a 2 weeks for sure. Thank me later :)

Ravi saab

Oct 28, 2016
Niagara Falls
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-04-2019
Doc's Request.
13-02-2020
Nomination.....
19-06-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2020
Med's Done....
10-06-2020
Hi Ravi, Medical request can come anytime if the documents you provided with the application are complete. If they need any other document they might call your spouse for an interview also. CIC does conduct random interviews at Chanakyapuri High COmission of Canada office new delhi..
Normal processing time is for 12 weeks. The applicant is in India so yes, it will be considered as outside canada. Chandigarh office sends the documents to New Delhi office and thus the transport time increases the total time taken to process a file.Even after passport request, you will submit the passport to Chandigarh VFS Global, which will send the passport to High Comission of Canada New Delhi office for stamping. Travel time will increase at that time too.
Okk thanks the reason i was asking all about it because this term is my graduating term and running out of time.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi, my spouse open work permit (SOWP) has been approved for 1 year (issue date: 12/01/2017, valid until: 04/01/2019).

Please advice on following queries:
  1. It means she can enter before 04/01/2019 in canada, but the stay period counter (i.e. 1 year) will be actually started either from the landing date or from the issue date (i.e. 12/01/2017) ?
  2. For renewal after expiration, Do I need to get renewed my WP first and after that I apply for renewal of SOWP, or I can apply renewal of both mine WP and SOWP together?
Thanks in anticipation!

Kind Regards,

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi, my spouse open work permit (SOWP) has been approved for 1 year (issue date: 12/01/2017, valid until: 04/01/2019).

1. It means she can enter before 04/01/2019 in canada, but the stay period counter (i.e. 1 year) will be actually started either from the landing date or from the issue date (i.e. 12/01/2017) ?
  2. For renewal after expiration, Do I need to get renewed my WP first and after that I apply for renewal of SOWP, or I can apply renewal of both mine WP and SOWP together?
Thanks in anticipation!

Kind Regards,
First of all, Congratulationss!!!!! Damn happy for you :)
Please find the answers below:

1. It means she can enter before 04/01/2019 in canada, but the stay period counter (i.e. 1 year) will be actually started either from the landing date or from the issue date (i.e. 12/01/2017) ? Her stay period should be till the expiration of the visa granted. For more details please check the passport request message that you have got in the account. And as per the process, the visa is valid till expiration date. Should not matter when she enters canada before the expiration date. When the visa is about to expire, you have to get it renewed. If you enter Canada at a later date, it does not extend Visa validity.
  2. For renewal after expiration, Do I need to get renewed my WP first and after that I apply for renewal of SOWP, or I can apply renewal of both mine WP and SOWP together? You have the work permit and so does she, file for a provincial nominee program and get the PNP first( 2-3 months process) then file for Permanent residence. 8-10 months process. When you have got your provincial nomination for you, you can file for renewal of both the visas without a doubt of getting it approved. ;) Cheers!

Reactions: jojee2k6

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Thanks a lot for for best wishes, I am also v. happy! while filling application form, I filled accordingly, as per your valuable advice! Thanks a lot...below in blue are my further queries :)
First of all, Congratulationss!!!!! Damn happy for you :)
Please find the answers below:

1. It means she can enter before 04/01/2019 in canada, but the stay period counter (i.e. 1 year) will be actually started either from the landing date or from the issue date (i.e. 12/01/2017) ? Her stay period should be till the expiration of the visa granted. For more details please check the passport request message that you have got in the account. And as per the process, the visa is valid till expiration date. Should not matter when she enters canada before the expiration date. When the visa is about to expire, you have to get it renewed. If you enter Canada at a later date, it does not extend Visa validity.
OK!, so regardless of landing date (prior to expiry), the expiry date will remain 04/01/2019. clear!
  1. For renewal after expiration, Do I need to get renewed my WP first and after that I apply for renewal of SOWP, or I can apply renewal of both mine WP and SOWP together? You have the work permit and so does she, file for a provincial nominee program and get the PNP first( 2-3 months process) then file for Permanent residence. 8-10 months process. When you have got your provincial nomination for you, you can file for renewal of both the visas without a doubt of getting it approved. ;) Cheers!
As my WP also approved for 1 year based upon my job contract of initial 1 year but renewable afterwards, so my employer will firstly renew my job contract (prior to first yr. expiry), then I will apply for my WP renewal together with SOWP (on basis on my renewed job contract)....Now, in parallel here's my strategy:
  • within 2-3 months of arrival, we will apply for Ontario PNP, What are chances for PNP selection to get PR, in my situation? I don't know about PNP much, requirements, scoring etc...but while having a job in LMIA-exempted work permit in toronto, chances are favorable to be selected for PNP?
  • I am also in EE pool with CRS <400 (struggling with IELTS money making game), so I have a plan that once I would be there, I will improve CELPIP and also after 1 yr of Canadian experience (CEC) I will get 50-200 points for EE, so will immediately get ITA. do you think that's good plan for PNP and to pursue EE for PP? any other suggestion?

Last edited: