+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korea Police Certificate

jyma86

Jan 8, 2020
Has anyone been successful in getting approved for PR without the police certificate that includes the lapsed records? Since it is near to impossible to get I’m wondering if anyone has been approved without it...

I watched a video clip in Korean about how the US used to ask for this form as well but since it is illegal to give out they have changed their requirements in regards to the kind of police certificate that is needed... why isnt this happening in Canada!

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
We are planning to just submit the background check from the embassy along with emails from the Korean National Police and the Korean Embassy in Toronto that state that they don't a) they don't issue that type of criminal check to foreigners and b) it is illegal to use that document for immigration purposes. My partner is not Korean, so I don't know if the situation is different for Koreans.
I know that this has worked for other people. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/korean-police-certificate-illegal-document.567104/page-4
I can let you know how it goes for us!

jyma86

Jan 8, 2020
We are planning to just submit the background check from the embassy along with emails from the Korean National Police and the Korean Embassy in Toronto that state that they don't a) they don't issue that type of criminal check to foreigners and b) it is illegal to use that document for immigration purposes. My partner is not Korean, so I don't know if the situation is different for Koreans.
I know that this has worked for other people. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/korean-police-certificate-illegal-document.567104/page-4

Would be super grateful for updates!!

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
Sure! We are still waiting on the background check from the embassy, but once it's submitted and we receive any news I will let you know.

olga.issakhoj

Feb 13, 2020
Sure! We are still waiting on the background check from the embassy, but once it's submitted and we receive any news I will let you know.
Hello! I'm facing the same problem of not being able to get the PCC with lapsed records. My friend went to police station and they confirmed they cannot issue it. Would it be possible for you to send the confirmation from your embassy? My Korean consulate in Kazakhstan is not really willing to help and do investigation. If I could just show your text from embassy and make them issue the same letter, would be great.
If you could do that, please send me an email khonolga90@gmail.com
Would really appreciate your help!

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
This is the exact email from the embassy:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada ask CRC reply with lapsed records for the immigration.

However, The Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) does not issue the CRC reply with lapsed records to the foreign nationals.

Also, KNPA issues CRC reply to the Korean Nationals (Not by paper document, only shows lapsed records through their computer monitor).

Because the reply shall be used for personal review only. A person who uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government) could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won by the clause 2 and 3 of Article 10 of “ACT ON THE LAPSE OF CRIMINAL SENTENCES”.

Korean Consulate or Embassy can only issues “Background Check(Criminal Records) Certificate” which does not include the lapsed records. Please follow the link below to have detailed guideline to apply this certificate.

http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5276/contents.do

If the Canadian Immigration office ask any confirmation about this, please ask them to contact our office or the Korean National Police Agency.

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
Would be super grateful for updates!!
Update: Today an immigration official called my partner and told him we would need to get the background check with lapsed records and that he would give us 2 months. My partner continued to explain the situation, after which the immigration official said he would speak with his colleagues. Within 10 minutes we had an update letter for our landing interview!

Reactions: olga.issakhoj

olga.issakhoj

Feb 13, 2020
This is the exact email from the embassy:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada ask CRC reply with lapsed records for the immigration.

However, The Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) does not issue the CRC reply with lapsed records to the foreign nationals.

Also, KNPA issues CRC reply to the Korean Nationals (Not by paper document, only shows lapsed records through their computer monitor).

Because the reply shall be used for personal review only. A person who uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government) could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won by the clause 2 and 3 of Article 10 of “ACT ON THE LAPSE OF CRIMINAL SENTENCES”.

Korean Consulate or Embassy can only issues “Background Check(Criminal Records) Certificate” which does not include the lapsed records. Please follow the link below to have detailed guideline to apply this certificate.

http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5276/contents.do

If the Canadian Immigration office ask any confirmation about this, please ask them to contact our office or the Korean National Police Agency.
Really appreciate your reply! Thank you

JTPr

May 15, 2020
Update: Today an immigration official called my partner and told him we would need to get the background check with lapsed records and that he would give us 2 months. My partner continued to explain the situation, after which the immigration official said he would speak with his colleagues. Within 10 minutes we had an update letter for our landing interview!
Amazing!!! Congrats! Im experiencing the same issue. I have included a letter of explanation with my pr submission with official response stating it is illegal.
I called cic and they said everything looks great except for the South Korean lapsed record certificate and now my background check is pending... dont know when they will make a decision on this.

when did you get your aor? I submitted this Feb. i just want to see how it takes for the officer to reach out.

thanks!!

Cyano

Nov 1, 2020
I've read all of your comments. But no one confirmed what happens finally. Please, someone, share your full experience, and give us a clear direction.

1. what should I upload while applying so that my application won't be rejected?
2. should I take PCC from alminwon? do they accept it?
3. what proof I can use instead of a lapse record?

akat22

Dec 15, 2021
Really appreciate , if you can provide Email contacts of Korean National Police (KNPA) who can reply regarding that they don't issue criminal check to foreigners with lapsed records or send to my email "akatyal22@gmail.com".
Thanks

pinkpinkpink

Dec 24, 2020
Has anyone been successful in getting approved for PR without the police certificate that includes the lapsed records? Thank you