+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Solved: Passport returned from CPC-Ottawa w/o COPR or PR with no reasons

Harshdeep1

Sep 21, 2020
I got the same letter stating that visa officer will contact you and this doesnot change the decision on my file.Then i contacted IRCC they said that my file is in que of virtual landing.But no COPR or PR card information given.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
I got the same letter stating that visa officer will contact you and this doesnot change the decision on my file.Then i contacted IRCC they said that my file is in que of virtual landing.But no COPR or PR card information given.
as far as I understood, firstly they complete virtual landing, secondly they send the confirmation of PR

hans1986

Star Member
Jun 6, 2013
Need advise.... is it a good idea to bring parents to canada on Super Visa and update address on WEBFORM... what are the chances that parents will get PR while here in canada.....
NOTE *
"Decision made" on PR status and waiting for passport request at the moment.

t500

Oct 11, 2020

Timeline: approx 1,5 month between the passport request and confirmation of PR
Hello m.ford, Congratulations on the arrival of your PR!
I wanted to ask you, please, as I am in a similar situation right now.
You mentioned you submitted your passport to the CPC a month and a half before, I assume at some time in between you got your passport back? How long did it take from submitting your passport to getting it back?

Do you or anyone know how long are the passports kept with the CPC these days?

If I understand correctly, the passport first gets sent back to you with nothing on it (or a letter telling you to wait?), then, some time later the PR gets sent to you. Is this correct?

Thank you very much!

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Hello m.ford, Congratulations on the arrival of your PR!
I wanted to ask you, please, as I am in a similar situation right now.
You mentioned you submitted your passport to the CPC a month and a half before, I assume at some time in between you got your passport back? How long did it take from submitting your passport to getting it back?

Do you or anyone know how long are the passports kept with the CPC these days?

If I understand correctly, the passport first gets sent back to you with nothing on it (or a letter telling you to wait?), then, some time later the PR gets sent to you. Is this correct?

Thank you very much!
Thank you =)
At first, they returned my passport in 13 days without any papers. They even sent my photos back.
Approx 1,5 month later they sent a Confirmation of PR
Now, having sent photos again, waiting for the PR card

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Thank you =)
At first, they returned my passport in 13 days without any papers. They even sent my photos back.
Approx 1,5 month later they sent a Confirmation of PR
Now, having sent photos again, waiting for the PR card
Congratulations!

How did they send you the confirmation of PR? By email or mail? Did they call you before sending you CoPR?

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Congratulations!

How did they send you the confirmation of PR? By email or mail? Did they call you before sending you CoPR?
Thank you=)
They tried calling but I missed the call
Then there was an email with the question if I was still in Canada. I confirmed that I was in Canada.
And a few hours later got a message in GCKey with CoPR and following instructions

I wonder how long it will take them to issue a PR card and send it to me

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Thank you=)
They tried calling but I missed the call
Then there was an email with the question if I was still in Canada. I confirmed that I was in Canada.
And a few hours later got a message in GCKey with CoPR
Thank you so much for the information!! This uncertainty regarding the last step of this long journey is a bit scary.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
For those of you who sent the documents to CPC-Ottawa with Xpresspost, did your tracker show "Delivered to your community mailbox, parcel locker or apt./condo mailbox"?

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
I have just noticed the contradictions in the expiry dates of PR
The letter of CoPR states You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. The permanent resident card is required after this one-year period
Meanwhile the expiry date of the same document which I see on my account in GCKey says 12-December-2020

What can it mean?

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
Hey guys. I have a similar situation here.
I am a sponsor for spousal application. It was an outland application initially. The file was transferred to New Delhi for further processing.
In between, my wife travelled to Canada on visitor visa.

Today morning, we received the passport request from Delhi immigration to submit the passport thru VFS in India. However, since she is already in Canada we followed below as mentioned in the passport request letter.

"If you have a mailing address in Canada and if you and all the accompanying dependents on your application are currently in Canada and plan to be in Canada for at least three months, you may submit your passport(s) to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa."

So I just sent the passport out to CPC - Ottawa along with photos and all the passports (old and new).

1) Did I do anything wrong here by sending it to Ottawa?
2) What is the next step?
3) Do we get CoPR? if not, what is the proof of PR? In case she wants to start to work?
4) Is there a landing procedure in our scenario?

Uff! So many questions! Help please.

Reactions: kands

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
I am in the same boat, got the documents back with same letter on May 27th. Haven’t heard anything afterwards, sent webform to the original visa office today so hoping to hear something soon.

Good to know I am not alone but to make it confusing and scary in my case they sent us CoPR’s as well and when I called IRCC, I was told that CoPR is no longer valid but our application is approved and everything is good. Due to COVID-19, I should wait for further instructions from the processing officer.
What proof do you have of PR until you receive the PR card?

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Hey guys. I have a similar situation here.
I am a sponsor for spousal application. It was an outland application initially. The file was transferred to New Delhi for further processing.
In between, my wife travelled to Canada on visitor visa.

Today morning, we received the passport request from Delhi immigration to submit the passport thru VFS in India. However, since she is already in Canada we followed below as mentioned in the passport request letter.

"If you have a mailing address in Canada and if you and all the accompanying dependents on your application are currently in Canada and plan to be in Canada for at least three months, you may submit your passport(s) to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa."

So I just sent the passport out to CPC - Ottawa along with photos and all the passports (old and new).

1) Did I do anything wrong here by sending it to Ottawa?
2) What is the next step?
3) Do we get CoPR? if not, what is the proof of PR? In case she wants to start to work?
4) Is there a landing procedure in our scenario?

Uff! So many questions! Help please.
1) Did I do anything wrong here by sending it to Ottawa? Did you update your wife's current Canada address with IRCC? If you did, you did nothing wrong. If you didn't, you need to immediately contact IRCC by web forum to inform them of this change and call them too to update them. If you didn't update her address, her application file is still in India, and sending her passport over to Ottawa will cause confusion and even more delay.
2) What is the next step? Read reply for Q1
3) Do we get CoPR? if not, what is the proof of PR? In case she wants to start to work? No guarantee for COPR, esp now that she is in Canada, she is more likely to do a virtual COPR (meaning officers will contact her / email her before COPR is given). And PPR is not a valid work permit. She needs to receive COPR before she can legally apply for work.
4) Is there a landing procedure in our scenario? If she is currently in Canada, no. If she plans to go back to India then yes. I would recommend calling IRCC if the address is not updated and ask them for the next steps.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
1) Did I do anything wrong here by sending it to Ottawa? Did you update your wife's current Canada address with IRCC? If you did, you did nothing wrong. If you didn't, you need to immediately contact IRCC by web forum to inform them of this change and call them too to update them. If you didn't update her address, her application file is still in India, and sending her passport over to Ottawa will cause confusion and even more delay.
2) What is the next step? Read reply for Q1
3) Do we get CoPR? if not, what is the proof of PR? In case she wants to start to work? No guarantee for COPR, esp now that she is in Canada, she is more likely to do a virtual COPR (meaning officers will contact her / email her before COPR is given). And PPR is not a valid work permit. She needs to receive COPR before she can legally apply for work.
4) Is there a landing procedure in our scenario? If she is currently in Canada, no. If she plans to go back to India then yes. I would recommend calling IRCC if the address is not updated and ask them for the next steps.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the detailed response.
Yes we changed her current address to Canada the day she landed. I can see the updated address on ECAS, gcms notes as well.

Reactions: kands and joy857

ewaller245

Jul 21, 2020
Thank you very much for the detailed response.
Yes we changed her current address to Canada the day she landed. I can see the updated address on ECAS, gcms notes as well.
Hi,
The exact same thing happened to my spouse,
We are still waiting on Ottawa it is a month and a week now, when i call they saying file is in Accra so they cannot check which makes it more frustrating.
Fingers crossed.