+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Solved: Passport returned from CPC-Ottawa w/o COPR or PR with no reasons

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Applied outland but came to Canada in May. Got a request for passport and sent it to Ottawa. Today the package was delivered to Ottawa. I'm on TRV now but the visa record is till November. Should I be worried about the extension of my stay and start preparing docs for that soon or now no need for the extension?
Personally based on fact you seem to be a very lucky person, you should be fine.

Seriously, the main constraint would be whether you think you will need to travel abroad or some serious and urgent admin reason. Even in emergency travel you would almost certainly be able to get docs to return (or current visa still fine), mostly otherwise in Canada No-one ever asks for docs.

(I guess if you really need to start work would be other case)

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Personally based on fact you seem to be a very lucky person, you should be fine.

Seriously, the main constraint would be whether you think you will need to travel abroad or some serious and urgent admin reason. Even in emergency travel you would almost certainly be able to get docs to return (or current visa still fine), mostly otherwise in Canada No-one ever asks for docs.

(I guess if you really need to start work would be other case)

When I entered Canada, they put a stamp on my TRV that I can stay in Canada till November,8th. Then need an extension of the stay (TRV itself is valid till 2026, but exactly this stay is till November, 8th 2020 - need to apply for the extension of my stay approx in a few weeks I guess).
If they give my PR card in exactly 90 days, I will exceed my legal stay. Don't want to break the law =)

My question is should I apply for the extension while I haven't received PR card?
Or since I sent my passport to Ottawa, even if the process is still pending in November, my status will be legal?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When I entered Canada, they put a stamp on my TRV that I can stay in Canada till November,8th. Then need an extension of the stay (TRV itself is valid till 2026, but exactly this stay is till November, 8th 2020 - need to apply for the extension of my stay approx in a few weeks I guess).
If they give my PR card in exactly 90 days, I will exceed my legal stay. Don't want to break the law =)

My question is should I apply for the extension while I haven't received PR card?
Or since I sent my passport to Ottawa, even if the process is still pending in November, my status will be legal?
I mean I think you should wait something like 60 days and see how it goes. That seems a reasonable period for them to complete, but I haven't followed this thread to see how quickly they are returning with the documents. (Does the return of passport mean you have an implied status? I don't know)

But I honestly don't know the extension process or how long that takes.

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Applied outland but came to Canada in May. Got a request for passport and sent it to Ottawa. Today the package was delivered to Ottawa. I'm on TRV now but the visa record is till November. Should I be worried about the extension of my stay and start preparing docs for that soon or now no need for the extension?
Yes, you should start prepping to prepare and extend your stay and it needs to be done 30 days before your visa expires. Right now it is hard to say when they will return your passport. All the best!

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
Congratulations!! That’s so exciting for you guys!

can I ask what the steps were to move your spouse here and how you switched from the Outland to allow them to stay without reentering the country?

My husband is from S. Korea and I’m a born Canadian citizen, and the plan was always for him to move here in October (were December 2019 outland applicants) because it should have been completed by then but obviously with covid we aren’t sure. But we’ve been long distance for over 4 years now since I moved back to Canada so we just want to end that and bring him here even if it’s not approved yet. But we thought he would have to go back to korea to do the passport submittal and he doesn’t have a place to quarantine safely there (they have stricter regulations of where you can stay) and that would be too expensive to pay for the flight and government sited quarantine.

If it’s too much to explain, even if you direct me to some websites or forums I would greatly appreciate it. We’re so stressed about the uncertainty of it.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
reached the agent in Ottawa today by phone
they said the process of receiving PR card after submitting the passport to Ottawa can take up to 120 days:rolleyes:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
reached the agent in Ottawa today by phone
they said the process of receiving PR card after submitting the passport to Ottawa can take up to 120 days:rolleyes:
But they will return your passport earlier? Were they able to say whether you would need to extend, or would you have implied status?

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
But they will return your passport earlier? Were they able to say whether you would need to extend, or would you have implied status?
If I get a letter of Confirmed PR (even though without a card itself yet), no need for extension. Just waiting for any updates till October (then - if no news, will apply for the extension)

Reactions: armoured

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
Can I ask what your steps were from being Outland and moving to Canada and being able to send your passport to Ottawa? We want to move my husband from Korea to here in October but we were worried if his CoPR wouldn’t be approved before he came and he’s have to go back to korea to finish it. Or if you have a link to steps that we can follow so we can do the same as you please

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Can I ask what your steps were from being Outland and moving to Canada and being able to send your passport to Ottawa?
I came here on my TRV while my outland application was in process. Once I got a letter-request for passport, there were two addresses where to send the passport - Warsaw or Ottawa. I think there is no such a thing as changing outland to inland, as the outland application is already processed abroad and they have slightly different steps/order of steps of the process

Also note that outland applicants can't get OWP while in Canada, whilst inland ones can. Though a week ago there were some changes in their policy, and now even tourists can get a job but it isn't for just any position and requires some efforts from an employer

We want to move my husband from Korea to here in October but we were worried if his CoPR wouldn’t be approved before he came and he’s have to go back to korea to finish it. Or if you have a link to steps that we can follow so we can do the same as you please
I'm sure that TRV is valid until the person gets a letter of Confirmed PR. I guess if he is not approved, his TRV won't be affected then

Reactions: armoured

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
I came here on my TRV while my outland application was in process. Once I got a letter-request for passport, there were two addresses where to send the passport - Warsaw or Ottawa. I think there is no such a thing as changing outland to inland, as the outland application is already processed abroad and they have slightly different steps/order of steps of the process

Also note that outland applicants can't get OWP while in Canada, whilst inland ones can. Though a week ago there were some changes in their policy, and now even tourists can get a job but it isn't for just any position and requires some efforts from an employer

I'm sure that TRV is valid until the person gets a letter of Confirmed PR. I guess if he is not approved, his TRV won't be affected then

"now even tourists can get a job but it isn't for just any position and requires some efforts from an employer" do you have a link to this news from an offical canada webpage? May you kindly share the link? Thank you!

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020

thank you so much for the information! We really appreciate it! One last question, when you came to Canada, did you have to submit any forms to say your change of address or anything? Or you just waited for the passport request and then just sent it to Ottawa without doing anything else before then? Do you not have to reenter the country to confirm it or anything? .. also sorry one more thing haha. Did you move to Canada with all your stuff or did you make it look like you were just visiting? And was it a one way ticket or a round trip to make it seem like you were going back?

sorry for all the questions. The fact that you make it seem like such an easy possibility for us to be together sooner it making me nervous and excited and I just want to make sure we do it properly haha

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
thank you so much for the information! We really appreciate it! One last question, when you came to Canada, did you have to submit any forms to say your change of address or anything? Or you just waited for the passport request and then just sent it to Ottawa without doing anything else before then? Do you not have to reenter the country to confirm it or anything? .. also sorry one more thing haha. Did you move to Canada with all your stuff or did you make it look like you were just visiting? And was it a one way ticket or a round trip to make it seem like you were going back?

sorry for all the questions. The fact that you make it seem like such an easy possibility for us to be together sooner it making me nervous and excited and I just want to make sure we do it properly haha
as this is offtopic, I'll reply in private message

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
I called +1 (888) 242-2100, I am from Canada and our processing office was New Delhi but passport was submitted to CPC- Ottawa as my family is in Canada.
How to reach them? Their menu of automatic replies is insane.
What should I choose in order to talk to the proper agent?
I tried 2-3-2-0, but the person said that we had chosen the wrong option on the menu.
Want to know what's going on with my passport, CoPR and PR card.
I am slightly concerned to be left without any official documents proving my legal status in Canada