+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number - Changing from Temporary to Permanent

chungdao

Jun 1, 2019
There’s no way to get a timeline. Mine arrived in the mail in 10 business days.
Thank you. When you had your new permanent SIN, did you call Canada Revenue Agency to update new SIN or how do we update? Do we need to update new SIN to Service Canada online?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thank you. When you had your new permanent SIN, did you call Canada Revenue Agency to update new SIN or how do we update? Do we need to update new SIN to Service Canada online?
There’s no need to call. It’ll get updated on its own. You would still need to create a new CRA account.

chungdao

Jun 1, 2019
There’s no need to call. It’ll get updated on its own. You would still need to create a new CRA account.
Thank for your useful information but I still don't understand. You mean once we have a new SIN, the current CRA account will be disabled? And how do we create it again? Do they send us a new activation link for the new account? How about Service Canada online account, do we need to create a new one like CRA account?

Last edited:

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thank for your useful information but I still don't understand. You mean once we have a new SIN, the current CRA account will be disabled? And how do we create it again? Do they send us a new activation link for the new account? How about Service Canada online account, do we need to create a new one like CRA account?
I had a partner login for my CRA account. It no longer worked for my new SIN, so I had to register again and wait for the activation code via mail. Not sure what happens for people who had a separate user ID and pw for their CRA account. No idea on service Canada account.

chungdao

Jun 1, 2019
I had a partner login for my CRA account. It no longer worked for my new SIN, so I had to register again and wait for the activation code via mail. Not sure what happens for people who had a separate user ID and pw for their CRA account. No idea on service Canada account.
I'm using a separate user ID and password but I check in CRA, it looks we don't have any field to update SIN, it looks we have to re-create a new CRA account. How about your old tax with the old SIN, have it updated to the new account? For Service Canada, I think it's same as CRA account, it looks we need to re-create a new one.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
I'm using a separate user ID and password but I check in CRA, it looks we don't have any field to update SIN, it looks we have to re-create a new CRA account. How about your old tax with the old SIN, have it updated to the new account? For Service Canada, I think it's same as CRA account, it looks we need to re-create a new one.
My tax forms from my previous SIN showed up in my new SIN and CRA account. So no need to do anything, its automatically linked.

Reactions: chungdao

Alimaher_Gsm

Jan 15, 2018
i heard it can take upto 4 weeks for transition from Temporary SIN to Permanent meaning(a friend's friend in Ottawa had to wait for a month) if you are receiving E.I or Child benefits it'll stop for a month until CRA and other related organization synchronizes/transfers over data from old SIN to new SIN.
please confirm if someone else has similar experience
Yes dear
I am experiencing the same situation when I updated my new permanent SIN with CRA by logging new account CRA stop our CCB for this month . Guys Is this normal situation? Will they issue next month ?

S@r@b

Feb 26, 2020
I got new sin one day ago and I was trying to create a new account but found error 112. Anyone else have same issue?

satya1986

Nov 25, 2020
I waited for my PR card before I applied for a new health card since I still have time. But I think they accept COPR as proof that you’re already a PR.
Thanks, @NOC98, Is there a way we can apply it online or we need to go to service Ontario for this? i tried googling it and didn't see any option to apply it online.