+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number - Changing from Temporary to Permanent

kum152007

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Hi experts ,
Please check below and advice on what should be done

I was on WP in 2019 till April 2019 and WP got expired June 2019 . I have not filed my T4 till date for 2019 as T4 was not issued by my employer , they goofed up but when i asked they issued it this week. I am planning to file my returns this week with the Work Permit SIN .

But i had applied for PR and got AOR on 4 Jan 2019. I went back to my home country in April 2019 and i am back now in Canada on 20 May 2020 on PR. But i recently i got a job at Home Depot and gave my Work Permit SIN as i was not aware that for PR i need to get new SIN. Now the issue is that during these COVID time an address proof is required for PR SIN. But since there is NO ADDRESS proof while staying in Airbnb, i am planning to change my work permit SIN to PR SIN once i have a permanent address to stay. But from the discussion in the thread the WP SIN has no expiry and good to be used .

Also during these time , people are not giving house on rent for recent landed immigrants and Service Canada is also not open which is another pain.

What i understand again from the thread that i am good to change my WP SIN later with a PR SIN in this financial year 2020 and inform my employer later once the change is done OR should i inform my employer NOW that i have given them my WP SIN and will give PR SIN Later once i have it

Also as per my Tax consultant it is ok to inform my employer home depot once i have PR SIN.

is this correct approach , please advice , thanks in advance and if the question is unclear , please let me know .

Last edited:

kum152007

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Hi experts ,

I was on WP in 2019 till April 2019 and WP got expired June 2019 . I have not filed my T4 till date for 2019 as T4 was not issued by my employer , they goofed up but when i asked they issued it this week. I am planning to file my returns this week with the Work Permit SIN .

But i had applied for PR and got AOR on 4 Jan 2019. I went back to my home country in April 2019 and i am back now in Canada on 20 May 2020 on PR. But i recently i got a job at Home Depot and gave my Work Permit SIN as i was not aware that for PR i need to get new SIN. Now the issue is that during these COVID time an address proof is required for PR SIN. But since there is NO ADDRESS proof while staying in Airbnb, i am planning to change my work permit SIN to PR SIN once i have a permanent address to stay. But from the discussion in the thread the WP SIN has no expiry and good to be used .

Also during these time , people are not giving house on rent for recent landed immigrants and Service Canada is also not open which is another pain.

What i understand again from the thread that i am good to change my WP SIN later with a PR SIN in this financial year 2020 and inform my employer later once the change is done OR should i inform my employer NOW that i have given them my WP SIN and will give PR SIN Later once i have it

Also as per my Tax consultant it is ok to inform my employer home depot once i have PR SIN.

is this correct approach , please advice , thanks in advance and if the question is unclear , please let me know .
any inputs experts, thanks

hellboy1

May 21, 2020
Hi experts ,

If you have bank account you can update your address and ask them to send it to you current address.

Parsifal

Star Member
Feb 2, 2016
Hi everyone,
Once you received your new permanent SIN, did you also lose your ROEs and EI claims associated with the older SIN?
Thank you

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
Once you received your new permanent SIN, did you also lose your ROEs and EI claims associated with the older SIN?
Thank you
No. They will automatically link the older SIN with your newer one. There might be some delay.

Mustafa Kakakhel

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
Hi Everyone,
I got my COPR and have to change my SIN Number. Can I do it on COPR or I have to wait for PR card? also if anyone know the current process, please share. Thank You.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Apart from employer and banks what other entities need to be notified about new SIN and COPR.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
How about your timeline? I applied on Mar 16 but still haven't received it. How do we check the application status?
There’s no way to get a timeline. Mine arrived in the mail in 10 business days.