+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number - Changing from Temporary to Permanent

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I became a PR on October 28th and received my PR card early this year. I am still using my SIN Number under my Open Work Permit which is valid until 2017 for work etc...

Do I have to change my SIN number immediately from a temporary SIN or can I just take my time??

I know the option was to change it when I landed however I couldn't be bothered to wait as I know I can still use my current one...

Is there a rule for this?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
As long as your temporary SIN is still valid, you can use it. However, I would highly recommend that you get a permanent one soon. Definitely don't wait until your current one expires.

Keep in mind that your temporary SIN starts with a 9 which means that every employer and every bank you give that SIN to thinks that you are a temporary resident, which has negative implications for credit checks etc.

Switching your SIN takes 5-30 min waiting at a Service Canada office and then 5 minutes of processing. I would highly encourage you that you get this done. It's not that you gain anything with waiting. Do NOT let your SIN expire.

Reactions: phanikiran.kara

countertops87

Star Member
Aug 12, 2015
need help,
me and my wife go to landing together. however, i got my sin number right the way in canada service, my wife didn't. canada service said there is nothing about my wife in the system.
any idea?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Jamesdavid3 said:
Hi all,

I became a PR on October 28th and received my PR card early this year. I am still using my SIN Number under my Open Work Permit which is valid until 2017 for work etc...

Do I have to change my SIN number immediately from a temporary SIN or can I just take my time??

I know the option was to change it when I landed however I couldn't be bothered to wait as I know I can still use my current one...

Is there a rule for this?
You should apply for new SIN immediately after landing.

Do it ASAP.

You have to communicate new SIN to your employer and bank.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why the Rush? Is there a reason?

My Temporary SIN is still valid until March 2017..

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jamesdavid3 said:
Why the Rush? Is there a reason?

My Temporary SIN is still valid until March 2017..
Well, I don't know a reason for that, so probably is not a problem, but I updated next day after landing, I don't like to delay official business like this.

Your previous WP is overrided for your PR status, so your SIN is "technically" no valid (nobody will notice it, of course).

As some people said in tis forum you should apply for new SIN before 1 year after landing with COPR, after that you need your PR Card (not a big deal if you stay here).

New SIN have to be communicate to your employer and bank to update his records.

I don't know if PR SIN can entitle you for some tax benefits or stuff like that, but perhaps EI need a PR SIN.

PR SIN allows you to open a Education Saving account for your kids (kids PR SIN is required), this have not tax benefits.

As said, you probably can wait, but why not finish the PR process getting a PR SIN?

Reactions: dgeorge

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
i heard it can take upto 4 weeks for transition from Temporary SIN to Permanent meaning(a friend's friend in Ottawa had to wait for a month) if you are receiving E.I or Child benefits it'll stop for a month until CRA and other related organization synchronizes/transfers over data from old SIN to new SIN.
please confirm if someone else has similar experience

Reactions: Alimaher_Gsm

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
milo2015 said:
i heard it can take upto 4 weeks for transition from Temporary SIN to Permanent meaning(a friend's friend in Ottawa had to wait for a month) if you are receiving E.I or Child benefits it'll stop for a month until CRA and other related organization synchronizes/transfers over data from old SIN to new SIN.
please confirm if someone else has similar experience
We didn't notice delays on Maternity EI nor child benefits, but could be.

As far I know that was automatically done.

Just note you have to request new user access to Services Canada and CRA after get PR SIN for online operations

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Great, thanks for sharing.

Just remember to provide new number to the bank and current employer.

I think new number have to be communicated to previous employers to update old records, but I'm not sure.

vivekforbes

Feb 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for reviving the old thread. I got my PR card yesterday, but sin number is same as my open work permit. I am going to Service Canada to change my SIN to permanent SIN, and should they send new PR card with new SIN number?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vivekforbes said:
Sorry for reviving the old thread. I got my PR card yesterday, but sin number is same as my open work permit. I am going to Service Canada to change my SIN to permanent SIN, and should they send new PR card with new SIN number?
1. No, they will just give you the number. They no longer issue the plastic cards

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
vivekforbes said:
I guess you're a bit confused.

Your SIN it's not in your PR card nor WP.
It's your inmigration client number, and it doesn't change ever.

Just go right away to Service Canada and get a PR SIN, a piece of paper, notify it to your employer, former employers and banks.

If you had a CRA account with your older SIN you have to create a new one with your new SIN

omargv

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
need help,
me and my wife go to landing together. however, i got my sin number right the way in canada service, my wife didn't. canada service said there is nothing about my wife in the system.
any idea?
Hi, I had a similar situation today I could get my SIN but wife couldn't. Did you know what was the problem in your case? How did you solve it?
Thanks!!

yelenah

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Hi! What do I need to change my temporary worker SIN number to a permanent one? Is my PR visa in my passport enough, or do I need to wait for the PR card? Thanks!