+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
nokia3315 said:
For docs profession, to know about the process check this http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t37491.0.html
2nd thing if you can live on your sole salary depends, so check whats the wages for your profession here - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/explorecareers.do
That's so kind of you my friend! Thanks for this.

However, I'm NOT going in to PRACTISING sector for medical doctors. I know that it's a lot rare and difficult, if not impossible, to pursue a medical doctor career in Canada as an IMG.

So, I'm planning to find jobs which require a medical graduation degree, but at the same time, also available to IMGs.
I guess there are a few jobs available for IMGs in clinical counsellors or consultants, etc.

I've not landed in Canada yet, so it'd be better to search for jobs when I land there, since very few people are there from my study background/field.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW if you have time browse for jobs to get an idea even before you land. (Even after landing major part of your job searching may be through internet. I don't know which medium you are going to use like networking, events, agency, references etc)

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
nokia3315 said:
BTW if you have time browse for jobs to get an idea even before you land. (Even after landing major part of your job searching may be through internet. I don't know which medium you are going to use like networking, events, agency, references etc)
Yes, at present I'm only searching for jobs on the internet, since it's the only medium I have right now in my home-country.

I was told by one friend already in Canada, that government provides free of cost employment services for new immigrants to search for their jobs, and many other services after landing there. So, I guess they would be my main source of networking with prospective employers.

To be honest, right now, I'm not that bothered to have a job in my hand before I land there. However, if by luck I get one, I won't refuse it either! :)

Thanks for your concern.

love4immigration

Jan 26, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At expat forum we get to hear how life is difficult in Australia and at this forum we hear Canada is not for immigrants?
Sometimes I feel is it all hoax that is being spread or is it the reality? :-\

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Main problem is getting a good job. Other things we can manage. Most of my friends left since they couldn't find jobs for long time after oil crisis.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
ttrajan said:
Main problem is getting a good job. Other things we can manage. Most of my friends left since they couldn't find jobs for long time after oil crisis.
In which field were they working?

In fields like manufacturing sector, jobs will be limited in any country. I know a PhD in chemical from good university in US who could not find a job related to his education in US after completing his PhD despite having green card (through spouse) and had to settle for some bachelor level job for $60k USD that was remotely related to his master thesis. There was an article where PhD s struggling for jobs, but if you look deeper, that person who gave byte was PhD in sociology. Even native born will have though time finding a job in such sectors, leave alone immigrants.

eagleeye_a

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
eggsterminate said:
I would beg to differ regarding Dubai. If you are well-educated and have a well-paying job in Dubai, definitely do not leave. You'll pay more taxes in Canada and not save up as much as you did back there. Migrating to Canada seems all hunky-dory until the reality of taxes and finding a job, barring a few sectors, hit home. My parents chose to never migrate for this reason.

Every single family, I know who migrated to Canada from Dubai, either ended up cancelling their PR, going back to their job in Dubai or had a spouse moving back to Dubai, visiting as needed to keep their PR status from getting cancelled. If you are beyond a certain age and already make a lot of money, it's going to be really hard to start from scratch, working as a barista with 16-20-year olds as your colleagues. You would be much happier back home. I have heard this regret from pretty much everyone who chose to immigrate after being successful for a number of years. It's easier guaranteeing an education for your kids by paying international tuition fees, at that point. You are paying for all the listed benefits via taxes. There is no free lunch for anyone.
Kinda late to reply to you. But, that's pretty much identical to what everyone I know who migrated to Canada from Dubai ended up doing. And many of them regret moving in the first place.

The only reason I can think of (and which they won't admit) is the fact that their kids get to call Canada "home"; something which isnt possible in Dubai.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eagleeye_a said:
Kinda late to reply to you. But, that's pretty much identical to what everyone I know who migrated to Canada from Dubai ended up doing. And many of them regret moving in the first place.

The only reason I can think of (and which they won't admit) is the fact that their kids get to call Canada "home"; something which isnt possible in Dubai.
I am referring to the post you quoted from eggsterminate. For those who really made a lot of money in Dubai, why don't they come to Canada for retirement? They could have eat their savings (from money they brought from Dubai) and not making any incomes (therefore no taxes while getting benefits). They wouldn't have to start from scratch and could continue their happy and lavish life as if they were in Dubai.

eagleeye_a

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
keesio said:
That is the root of the problem. Too many people in India do not have good opportunities. That is why they are trying so hard to immigrate.

With its low cost of living, if you can get a well paying job by western standards, then your dollar goes very far. I had a colleague who accepted an opportunity to manage one of our software groups in our Bengaluru office. Same salary + some additional perks. It was a sweet gig - He had a massive home and many servants. His wife only had one child but had two nannies. They had a cook, a driver, house cleaners and more. Cost of labor was so ridiculously cheap. Looking at it in person, it made me think that maybe I would accept such a position also.

But most locals there don't have that opportunity and with the rigid system there, probably never will have that level of opportunity. Hence the desire to immigrate. Go check out the PR section of this forum. Many people from India eventually have to go back to their home country for various reasons (the most common one seems to be to take care of a sick parent). They end up violating their RO and have issues coming back. And they really want to come back to Canada, looking for any way to get in without being reported. Given what you have said about India today, you'd think that they'd looked around and go "My life is better in India than Canada" and not worry about going back. But that is definitely not the case.

I have another colleague here in Toronto who used to go to India to visit relatives. He said he is done going back - too much hassle. Every other relative asks him to sponsor them, even though he repeatedly explains that he cannot legally sponsor them. Then they ask him to go start some private company and hire them as foreign workers. They live middle class lives there but are looking for any opportunity to leave.

So, like in all places, if you are in the right position, any country can look great. But if you look at the number of applicants from each country looking to immigrate to Canada, you will notice some trends. There is a reason why the numbers are what they are.
It must be said, that on this(Canadian) and other immigration forum regarding US/Australia/NZ/UK (the English speaking world), the vast majority of questions regarding migration are specifically by people from one country.

People vote with their feet, with where they go. And the trend is perfectly clear; the "net" traffic is almost entirely in one direction.

eagleeye_a

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
steaky said:
I am referring to the post you quoted from eggsterminate. For those who really made a lot of money in Dubai, why don't they come to Canada for retirement? They could have eat their savings (from money they brought from Dubai) and not making any incomes (therefore no taxes while getting benefits). They wouldn't have to start from scratch and could continue their happy and lavish life as if they were in Dubai.
I really don't know for sure. But my guess would be that it is near-impossible to migrate later in life... maybe? And i'd speculate that their retirement dollars (savings) would go a lot further in Asia than it would in Canada.

Reactions: Svet81

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Regarding ever-burning issue of job hunting, I'd come across a nice explanation of how to succeed in Canadian job market.

Got very useful info, well-explained.

I guess it'll give all a nice insight into the subject.

Please follow this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhA3zeELPzc

Reactions: vvik33

Hoop

Apr 14, 2017
Hi All,

I am 27 years old and have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering with 4 years of work experience as an Application support analyst in India. Currently I am thinking of migrating to Canada with the help of a Consultancy. So if I consider applying for a PR via the express entry program, are there job opportunities available considering my education and experience?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Getting a job in Canada is difficult nowadays.

One chance

Apr 3, 2017
You are young, single and free. I would suggest giving it a try. But do not burn your cables in India just in case you return home to India. Three years in Canada should not hurt you. You could undertake some certification course that will enable you work in a Canadian bank. With a brother in Canada, you should not suffer too much. And once you obtain your citizenship, you can then decide if to stay or return. That is my advice to you if you were my sister.

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
Dear all,

I am from Mumbai,India. I am already very well settled in India with permanent secured job in Nationalised bank.My bro staying in Canada from couple of years having PR wants me to settle in Canada.I am single.30yrs.

I am damn confused.Leaving well settled job and moving to Canada??? Will I get a good job in Canada? Will I get in Banking sector?

Is moving to Canada worth it???

Plz advise.

Regards,
Nam

Now what is a highly paid job and what is not is very subjective. I am working as a solution architect in IT industry with a decade of work ex. I have worked in USA and working currently in UK. When I say highly paid job, i mean at least 100000 CAD job. Which btw if you compare with what people of similar skill get in USA, even this 100k salary is actually not high at all. But nevertheless, 100000 CAD job is still good but what hurts is that it is very difficult to land in such a job if you are migrant. Most people start early in their life (20s) when they migrate to Canada. So they still have many years to rise to corporate ladder and to have decent paying job in thier mid 30s. But for someone who is already 30, it is very important to make sure you find a job of your experience level before moving to Canada. It is difficult but not impossible. Again i am talking from my perspective of an IT engineer. Things might be different for each professional job types.