+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
foodie69 said:
No it is not.. I was once a NEW immigrant in Vancouver and it served me very well. Where else would you like people to go instead? Prince Rubert, Inuvik, Jasper, Rouleau?

What about Toronto then? Not much better in my opinion. Just let people decide for themselves where to go, this forum is full of misguided information about Canada, especially from people who only have second hand information.
Well then my friend.

I am no one to tell anyone to choose which city to land as an immigrant. In fact, I was just saying what I have found on this forum so far, and also on some websites.

Secondly, yes, surely it would be SECOND HAND info about Canada, as a lot of info which is available on this forum is shared by people who might not have landed in Canada yet.

Now, you tell me, whom to believe? Because, there is a minor number of people who are already in Canada, and also providing truthful guidance to others.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
jpv2212 said:
Yeah mate. Sure they should settle in Vancouver only!

Should spend all the money they brought from their home country ;)
The money will be spent anyway..regardless where you settle.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
foodie69 said:
The money will be spent anyway..regardless where you settle.
Yes I agree with you.

Could you please suggest which city to land for the first time?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
jpv2212 said:
Yes I agree with you.

Could you please suggest which city to land for the first time?
No, I cannot.. because this decision must be made by each individual based on their job, education, the reasons they immigrate, the lifestyle they want, possible family already in Canada, personal connections and individual desire.

There is no one size fits all scenario. Every city, town and village has its own pro and cons. I chose Vancouver because I have visited the city several times, loved it and jobs in my sector were plentiful and nature and lifestyle suit me very much.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
foodie69 said:
No, I cannot.. because this decision must be made by each individual based on their job, education, the reasons they immigrate, the lifestyle they want, possible family already in Canada, personal connections and individual desire.

There is no one size fits all scenario. Every city, town and village has its own pro and cons. I chose Vancouver because I have visited the city several times, loved it and jobs in my sector were plentiful and nature and lifestyle suit me very much.
Ok thanks.

What about an immigrant who is medical graduate seeking job in pharmaceutical industry as a research scientist, wishing to lead a normal happy life (not super-rich BTW) with no family/connections in Canada? Yes, the life style, this person won't mind an average common Canadian life style.

Do you have any suggestions now?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Do you have any suggestions now?
Doesn't matter where you land first. Pick one, look around and get the feel of the country for a few months. the nice thing about Canada is there is no restriction on where you can live. Explore a little bit and do some research, then decide. If you've just made the decision to leave your homeland for a new country, the last thing I would want to do is commit to settling until I had all the facts....my 2 cents....and there is always Skookumchuck!:)

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Buletruck said:
I'd pick Skookumchuck....but mostly because it has a kool name.
That name is quite funny though :)

To be honest, I am hearing this name for the first time! :D

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Buletruck said:
Doesn't matter where you land first. Pick one, look around and get the feel of the country for a few months. the nice thing about Canada is there is no restriction on where you can live. Explore a little bit and do some research, then decide. If you've just made the decision to leave your homeland for a new country, the last thing I would want to do is commit to settling until I had all the facts....my 2 cents....and there is always Skookumchuck!:)
Yes true. Thanks

How come 'there is always Skookumchuck?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
How come 'there is always Skookumchuck?
The conversation was getting far to intense. Everyone has opinions...best to make your own choice made on your own facts and observations. Besides, Skookumchuck makes people smile (granted, the name is really the only reason to go there)

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Buletruck said:
The conversation was getting far to intense. Everyone has opinions...best to make your own choice made on your own facts and observations. Besides, Skookumchuck makes people smile (granted, the name is really the only reason to go there)
Got your point. :)

Thanks

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YES if are coming as couple & both get full time jobs.Even on minimum wage your family will enjoy a pretty decent life.
You will pay for the rent/mortgage (MAJOR EXPENSE), hydro, broadband, cable, own mobile, own transport & own share of grocery.
Your partner will only pay for own mobile,own transport, own share grocery and the rest of your partner's salary will go to SAVINGS.

If you dont mind living in a shared accommodation then its a different story.

If you are planning on doing professional/ higher wage jobs then regardless if you are single, married and wifey wants to stay at home then its a different story.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
nokia3315 said:
YES if are coming as couple & both get full time jobs.Even on minimum wage your family will enjoy a pretty decent life.
You will pay for the rent/mortgage (MAJOR EXPENSE), hydro, broadband, cable, own mobile, own transport & own share of grocery.
Your partner will only pay for own mobile,own transport, own share grocery and the rest of your partner's salary will go to SAVINGS.

If you dont mind living in a shared accommodation then its a different story.

If you are planning on doing professional/ higher wage jobs then regardless if you are single, married and wifey wants to stay at home then its a different story.
Yes, quite informative.

I have a professional degree in Medicine, and my wife has one in health care. So it should be a decent life even if we depend on my own salary.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jpv2212 said:
Yes, quite informative.

I have a professional degree in Medicine, and my wife has one in health care. So it should be a decent life even if we depend on my own salary.
For docs profession, to know about the process check this http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t37491.0.html
2nd thing if you can live on your sole salary depends, so check whats the wages for your profession here - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/explorecareers.do