+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foodie69 said:
Where in Canada? Not in Vancouver, that's for sure
Lets do the math for a Single Adult without any children

$22568 gross salary ($10.85 BC min wage x 40 hr/week x 52 weeks)
$19597 take home salary http://neuvoo.ca/tax-calculator/?salary=22568&region=British+Columbia
$1633 take home salary for month.

https://www.rentfaster.ca/bc/vancouver/rentals/?keywords=1%20bedroom&sortby=price&proximity_type=location-city&novacancy=0&beds%5B%5D=1&city_id=6

1 bed apartment in Vancouver, BC is $1300

So $1633 - $1300 = $333

You are left with $333 for hydro,groceries, mobile, transport,home broadband, clothes, personal care products.

men lie,women lie but numbers don't lie ;D

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foodie69 said:
If you can live off that, good for you. I can't, won't and don't have to.
$333 for hydro,groceries, mobile, transport,home broadband, clothes, personal care products.

On that budget one will suffer from malnutrition. Ever heard of malnutrition is a first world country.

Forget about how to live, the question is can one survive ?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
nokia3315 said:
$333 for hydro,groceries, mobile, transport,home broadband, clothes, personal care products.

On that budget one will suffer from malnutrition. Ever heard of malnutrition is a first world country.

Forget about how to live, the question is can one survive ?
There is poverty in first world countries too

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nokia3315 said:
www.rentfaster.ca/bc/vancouver/rentals/?keywords=1%20bedroom&sortby=price&proximity_type=location-city&novacancy=0&beds%5B%5D=1&city_id=6

1 bed apartment in Vancouver, BC is $1300

So $1633 - $1300 = $333

You are left with $333 for hydro,groceries, mobile, transport,home broadband, clothes, personal care products.

men lie,women lie but numbers don't lie ;D
That's why there are shared accommodation to split the cost of rent, hydro and other expenses. It will make your life easier and healthy.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Yes I agree with steaky.

There are numerous options available for shared rentals, hostels, etc which might cut the cost of housing to about half.

And what's the point in that a person who earns only 1600 per month hires an apt/condo of 1300 a month?? :eek: ::)

Shouldn't he live in something less expensive, ehh? ;)

Reactions: Dr Seun

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Also, Vancouver is NOT a place for new immigrants or less earners, since not being a typical Canadian city, Vancouver has a very high cost of living as compared to other cities.

So, if you wish to live in Vancouver peacefully and easily, you must be financially well supported.

Yes, Vancouver holds the reputation of having one of the greatest beauties all over Canada. But, what's the point of that beauty when you don't even have enough money in your pocket to survive?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
In Vancouver, you can still find a room for rent for 500-1000, if you want an apartment I believe you can still find 800-1200, depending how old the unit it is though. Apartment usually have coin laundry, if you want your own it is better to live in a basement suite of a house.
North Van where I live is more expensive than Vancouver.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
jpv2212 said:
Also, Vancouver is NOT a place for new immigrants or less earners, since not being a typical Canadian city, Vancouver has a very high cost of living as compared to other cities.

So, if you wish to live in Vancouver peacefully and easily, you must be financially well supported.
And how would you know that Vancouver is not for immigrants? Do you live here? I see immigrants everywhere, including me. Over 45% were not born in Vancouver (http://vancouversun.com/life/how-many-vancouver-residents-were-born-in-b-c)

And what do you mean by typical Canadian city? Please elaborate..

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
jpv2212 said:

Yes, Vancouver holds the reputation of having one of the greatest beauties all over Canada. But, what's the point of that beauty when you don't even have enough money in your pocket to survive?
What makes you think that every immigrant is not "financially well supported"?

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
foodie69 said:
And how would you know that Vancouver is not for immigrants? Do you live here? I see immigrants everywhere, including me. Over 45% were not born in Vancouver (http://vancouversun.com/life/how-many-vancouver-residents-were-born-in-b-c)

And what do you mean by typical Canadian city? Please elaborate..
Please read it again my friend.
I said it's not a place for "NEW" immigrants.

By this, I meant to say that owing to high cost of living, NEW immigrants should not choose Vancouver as a first destination to land there when they move to Canada the first time from their home-country.

Hope now it's clear

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Why not? A new immigrant has more than $10k when he/she arrives in Canada (ex. Federal skilled worker) to spend in rent, food etc, while searching for a job.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
jpv2212 said:
Please read it again my friend.
I said it's not a place for "NEW" immigrants.

By this, I meant to say that owing to high cost of living, NEW immigrants should not choose Vancouver as a first destination to land there when they move to Canada the first time from their home-country.

Hope now it's clear
No it is not.. I was once a NEW immigrant in Vancouver and it served me very well. Where else would you like people to go instead? Prince Rubert, Inuvik, Jasper, Rouleau?

What about Toronto then? Not much better in my opinion. Just let people decide for themselves where to go, this forum is full of misguided information about Canada, especially from people who only have second hand information.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Yeah mate. Sure they should settle in Vancouver only!

Should spend all the money they brought from their home country ;)