+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settling in Quebec, although not Province Nominee?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does it takes 3 months to get the health card there? Can anyone shed some light? Is any other province candidate is not covered from day 1 of landing, my spouse is carrying and we are expecting in few weeks, if i move now, will it be a issue with regards to Health card,

Please comment.
If you are flying, especially long haul flights, you may be denied boarding if your wife is due in a few weeks.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Does it takes 3 months to get the health card there? Can anyone shed some light? Is any other province candidate is not covered from day 1 of landing, my spouse is carrying and we are expecting in few weeks, if i move now, will it be a issue with regards to Health card,

Please comment.
http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/healthcare-covered.aspx

some healthcare services may be available free of charge to persons waiting for their coverage to take effect, for instance:
  • services needed by victims of conjugal or domestic violence or of sexual assault
  • services related to pregnancy, child birth or termination of pregnancy
  • services needed by people suffering from infectious diseases that have an impact on public health

atish

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
3-11-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2016
Med's Request
12-07-2018
@deadbird hello..i am planning to move to Montreal with my wife and baby from Mauritius..i recently applied for PR after i got my CSQ as main applicant..i would like to know what are the best places to live in Montreal and how to look for appartments and jobs..i do not have any family in canada and so i am apprehensive of how will i be able to look for somewhere to live in Montreal..i am currently looking on kijiji..thx

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
@deadbird hello..i am planning to move to Montreal with my wife and baby from Mauritius..i recently applied for PR after i got my CSQ as main applicant..i would like to know what are the best places to live in Montreal and how to look for appartments and jobs..i do not have any family in canada and so i am apprehensive of how will i be able to look for somewhere to live in Montreal..i am currently looking on kijiji..thx
I too did not have a family in Montreal and knew very little French when I moved to Montreal. But it all worked out :) It's the immigrant story everywhere, so it too will work out fine for you. :)

I can't advise you about finding jobs, since I assume you've done your homework before simply arriving in Canada without any employment prospects. It can get pretty tough for a new immigrant if they don't have a job and the bills keep adding up. There are plenty of low-skilled jobs available but it makes for a tough life. Not sure if thats's what you want.

Let's instead talk about housing.

kijiji is an ok resource, but since it's usually listed by the owner directly, there can be variance among the quality of the landlords.

My strategy was:
- Stay in an airbnb for a few weeks after arrival.
- Look for apartments on centris.ca and padmapper.com. They are usually listed by rental agents, so there are more guarantees but maybe slightly more expensive.

Some tricky things that landlords usually ask for:
- Credit check (which is non-existent for immigrants)
Explain to them that you are a new immigrant and are building credit. They are usually understanding. Lacking this you may want to show proof of funds, perhaps a bank statement.

- Proof of employment
A letter of employment really helps. If not, you might have to manage with showing bank statements.

- Previous rental history
If you've been renting in Mauritius try to get a letter of good conduct from your current landlord. Or if you're a homeowner, try to get proof of homeownership, taxes and bills paid etc.

Neighborhoods in Montreal.
I'll assume that you don't want to stay in the trendiest and chic neighborhoods, but are looking for something affordable, practical and good for a family. Regardless of which neighborhood you pick, you want to prioritize living near one of the metro stops (http://www.stm.info/fr/infos/reseaux/plans-des-reseaux). The metro is very convenient and you can zip around the city really fast. Some neighborhoods popular with new immigrants - Cotes De Neiges, Laval, Verdun, Jean-Talon. Some neighborhoods that are unnecessarily pricy - Griffintown, Centre-Ville, Le Plateau, Mont-Royal. Also, if you are fluent in French, most neighborhoods will be just fine.

Most leases in Montreal are from Jul1 - Jun 30. So a lot of the rental properties are appearing on the market around this time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The summer is a popular time to move because of the weather and you will find that May, June and September are common times where people move because of the end and start of university. You will be able to find leases that become available each month. Most Canadian landlords want you to sign a lease for a year. Quebec versus other provinces is similar to Europe in that renting is more common as a longterm housing option so there are many rentals available. Due to the improved economy and recent influx of refugees you may struggle to find good lower cost options. Still much lower rental costs then many other Canadian cities but if you see a good apartment don’t take too long to apply.

atish

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
3-11-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2016
Med's Request
12-07-2018
I too did not have a family in Montreal and knew very little French when I moved to Montreal. But it all worked out :) It's the immigrant story everywhere, so it too will work out fine for you. :)

I can't advise you about finding jobs, since I assume you've done your homework before simply arriving in Canada without any employment prospects. It can get pretty tough for a new immigrant if they don't have a job and the bills keep adding up. There are plenty of low-skilled jobs available but it makes for a tough life. Not sure if thats's what you want.

Let's instead talk about housing.

kijiji is an ok resource, but since it's usually listed by the owner directly, there can be variance among the quality of the landlords.

My strategy was:
- Stay in an airbnb for a few weeks after arrival.
- Look for apartments on centris.ca and padmapper.com. They are usually listed by rental agents, so there are more guarantees but maybe slightly more expensive.

Some tricky things that landlords usually ask for:
- Credit check (which is non-existent for immigrants)
Explain to them that you are a new immigrant and are building credit. They are usually understanding. Lacking this you may want to show proof of funds, perhaps a bank statement.

- Proof of employment
A letter of employment really helps. If not, you might have to manage with showing bank statements.

- Previous rental history
If you've been renting in Mauritius try to get a letter of good conduct from your current landlord. Or if you're a homeowner, try to get proof of homeownership, taxes and bills paid etc.

Neighborhoods in Montreal.
I'll assume that you don't want to stay in the trendiest and chic neighborhoods, but are looking for something affordable, practical and good for a family. Regardless of which neighborhood you pick, you want to prioritize living near one of the metro stops (http://www.stm.info/fr/infos/reseaux/plans-des-reseaux). The metro is very convenient and you can zip around the city really fast. Some neighborhoods popular with new immigrants - Cotes De Neiges, Laval, Verdun, Jean-Talon. Some neighborhoods that are unnecessarily pricy - Griffintown, Centre-Ville, Le Plateau, Mont-Royal. Also, if you are fluent in French, most neighborhoods will be just fine.

Most leases in Montreal are from Jul1 - Jun 30. So a lot of the rental properties are appearing on the market around this time.
thank you so much for your time and the detail procedures...i hope i can apply for the airbnb from my country itself.
i currently live in my parent's house so i'll have to get a proof of address and bills etc..

regarding the neighbourhoods...we also want to live near metro stations..
When we received our CSQ the govt encouraged us to apply on IMT online for jobs..but, i want to apply as a secondary teacher from Mauritius,will i not be asked to get accredited from a canadian authority first? anywhere else where i can apply for jobs online?

Mille merci encore,
de la part de toute ma famille.

Rm2017

Jun 20, 2017
http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/healthcare-covered.aspx

some healthcare services may be available free of charge to persons waiting for their coverage to take effect, for instance:
  • services needed by victims of conjugal or domestic violence or of sexual assault
  • services needed by people suffering from infectious diseases that have an impact on public health
This is true, but you must have already applied for the health card and be approved by RAMQ to be eligible for the above services. The letter you get when you are approved tells you to keep it and show it if you need help with the three services, bullet-pointed above, during the three-month wait.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Yes but would assume you may run into some resistance/delays since you had not applied to settle in Quebec. Since it seems you did try and settle in the pnp province you should have coverage from the previous province the bridge the gap until you get coverage in Quebec. Your previous province gets billed from your new province. Happens to all Canadians when they move move. Not sure what happens though since you didn’t spend 6 months in the 1st province. There is a lot of small little details that makes this an unusual case.

tanit

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
Hi guys
am a provincial nominee , landed in Toronto a month ago ,
since am here, I sent lots and lots of job requests , then I got lucky with a Job in Quebec, made the Interviews and then got approved for the job.
do you guys think it would be legal (as PV2 pnp PR) to accept the offer and move to Quebec ?

CIC states : in http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6
" I am a new permanent resident in Canada. Can I live somewhere other than the “city of destination” on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence?
Yes, you can. As a permanent resident, you have the right to live, work or study anywhere in Canada.

However, if you became a permanent resident through the Provincial Nominee Program, the province that nominated you has chosen you to bring skills to their province."

am really worried if this choice would affect my PR , or later on My citizenship request.

PS: once landed, I didn't provide an address for my PR card , I stayed in Toronto in a cheap not confy Airbnb , called CIC and gave them my relative's address in Quebec mentioning that it is not my address, and my relative is the only person I can trust for receiving my card.
------> did you guys hear of any case having problem providing quebec mailing address as "not quebec PR ?"
I then started "rage" applying for positions in toronto and ottawa bank with no answer.
then third week, I moved to quebec for job interviews (the only response I got) and got the offer :)

manish131081

Apr 8, 2018
The links you provided say that a CSQ is not needed.

Besides, I called up RAMQ the other day and asked the process for obtaining health insurance for non-Quebec immigrants. They only require a CSQ if your province of destination is listed as Quebec or your CoPR mentions a CSQ number.

PR's who got the status through a federal scheme can get healthcare with just their CoPR. Healthcare in Quebec is not limited to Quebec selected immigrants. All PR's living in Quebec are eligible for insurance.
Hi all,

I got PR through Express Entry (Province Nominee program OINP) and planning to land in Toronto.
Now, I (with my kids) was a dependent applicant where as my wife was a primary applicant.

My concerns are:

1. Is it allowed to work for a job if we get outside Ontario province ?
2. In this case, will obtaining a SIN number, health insurance card, driving license etc... be a problem, can I still take them all in Ontario and kind of do a intermittent travel back and forth to Toronto while keeping my family in Toronto?
3. Will it create further problems later on, when asking for citizenship?

Appreciate any help/experience feedback,

Thanks
Manish Aggarwal

Divyabansal04

Jul 2, 2017
Hi guys
am a provincial nominee , landed in Toronto a month ago ,
since am here, I sent lots and lots of job requests , then I got lucky with a Job in Quebec, made the Interviews and then got approved for the job.
do you guys think it would be legal (as PV2 pnp PR) to accept the offer and move to Quebec ?

CIC states : in http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6
" I am a new permanent resident in Canada. Can I live somewhere other than the “city of destination” on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence?
Yes, you can. As a permanent resident, you have the right to live, work or study anywhere in Canada.

However, if you became a permanent resident through the Provincial Nominee Program, the province that nominated you has chosen you to bring skills to their province."

am really worried if this choice would affect my PR , or later on My citizenship request.

PS: once landed, I didn't provide an address for my PR card , I stayed in Toronto in a cheap not confy Airbnb , called CIC and gave them my relative's address in Quebec mentioning that it is not my address, and my relative is the only person I can trust for receiving my card.
------> did you guys hear of any case having problem providing quebec mailing address as "not quebec PR ?"
I then started "rage" applying for positions in toronto and ottawa bank with no answer.
then third week, I moved to quebec for job interviews (the only response I got) and got the offer :)
Hey, what did you finally do?
I am in the same boat

tanit

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
Hey, what did you finally do?
I am in the same boat
I received my PR card to the Quebec address I provided !!! also got an employment document from the company I work in for the RAMQ.
next step RAMQ , am working 40hrs a week , donno when to do that :( I'll take an afternoon probably next week, btw am still not health covered yet.

to be continued ...

Divyabansal04

Jul 2, 2017
I received my PR card to the Quebec address I provided !!! also got an employment document from the company I work in for the RAMQ.
next step RAMQ , am working 40hrs a week , donno when to do that :( I'll take an afternoon probably next week, btw am still not health covered yet.

to be continued ...
So , have you already applied for healthcard, or you still have to.
I am bit confused :/
and what all documents are required for it apart from PR card , proof of residency/ employment letter.
And before moving did you inform pnp guys in Ontario ?

Last edited: