+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settling in Quebec, although not Province Nominee?

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Hi all,

I applied to PR through Express Entry (not any Province Nominee programs) and planning to land in Toronto around March.

Some people say you can move anywhere in Canada once you get PR and after you land outside Quebec, others say it's not possible. Is this a grey area?

I am French and settling in Montreal could be easier than settling in Toronto, so I am trying to understand if this is an option or not at all.

My concerns are:

1. Is that allowed, just a grey area, or forbidden?
2. In this case, will obtaining a SIN number, health insurance card, driving license etc... be a problem?
3. Will it create further problems later on, when asking for citizenship?

Appreciate any help/experience feedback,

Thanks
matt

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. Allowed.
2. SIN you can take in Toronto itself. Driving license won't be an issue. Health Insurance card is going to be an issue since RAMQ asks for CSQ. So far, I have not heard of any solution to this RAMQ-CSQ issue.
3. No issues during Citizenship.

Reactions: mattjp1

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
1. Allowed.
2. SIN you can take in Toronto itself. Driving license won't be an issue. Health Insurance card is going to be an issue since RAMQ asks for CSQ. So far, I have not heard of any solution to this RAMQ-CSQ issue.
3. No issues during Citizenship.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

For point 2., do you mean I will have troubles to obtain a health insurance or it just takes longer time?

R

rish888

You will have troubles to obtain a health insurance
This is incorrect.

RAMQ only requires a CSQ if the Confirmation of Permanent Residence document indicates Quebec as the province of destination. People who were immigrants to places outside Quebec and who later move to Quebec DO NOT need to present a CSQ.

As a Permanent Resident you have the right to free public health insurance in every province and territory, including Quebec.

Also, once you are a Permanent Resident, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, (equivalent to the French Constitution) guarantees your right to staying in any province or territory in Canada.

Therefore, there is no grey area here. it's simple. PR = right to live, study, and work anywhere in Canada.

However, one note I would make is that until you complete your landing, your intention must be to stay outside Quebec. After you complete your landing your intention can of course change and maybe you like Quebec more so you decide to stay there.

But to comply with the PR application (where you declared that you intend to stay outside Quebec) in your mind, you must intend to stay outside Quebec until you land.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
This is incorrect.

RAMQ only requires a CSQ if the Confirmation of Permanent Residence document indicates Quebec as the province of destination. People who were immigrants to places outside Quebec and who later move to Quebec DO NOT need to present a CSQ.

As a Permanent Resident you have the right to free public health insurance in every province and territory, including Quebec.

Also, once you are a Permanent Resident, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, (equivalent to the French Constitution) guarantees your right to staying in any province or territory in Canada.

Therefore, there is no grey area here. it's simple. PR = right to live, study, and work anywhere in Canada.

However, one note I would make is that until you complete your landing, your intention must be to stay outside Quebec. After you complete your landing your intention can of course change and maybe you like Quebec more so you decide to stay there.

But to comply with the PR application (where you declared that you intend to stay outside Quebec) in your mind, you must intend to stay outside Quebec until you land.
Read these:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/settlement-in-quebec-without-csq.265490/#post-4128910
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/move-to-quebec-canada-pr.525684/

I stayed in Quebec for 13 months and got PR via QSW so I know tiny-winy bit about problems faced by new immigrants in Quebec. All I am saying is that so far I have not heard any non-CSQ holder that moved from other provinces to Quebec and successfully received Health Card from RAMQ. If you have personal experience with this then I would leave to hear it.

R

rish888

Read these:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/settlement-in-quebec-without-csq.265490/#post-4128910
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/move-to-quebec-canada-pr.525684/

I stayed in Quebec for 13 months and got PR via QSW so I know tiny-winy bit about problems faced by new immigrants in Quebec. All I am saying is that so far I have not heard any non-CSQ holder that moved from other provinces to Quebec and successfully received Health Card from RAMQ. If you have personal experience with this then I would leave to hear it.
The links you provided say that a CSQ is not needed.

Besides, I called up RAMQ the other day and asked the process for obtaining health insurance for non-Quebec immigrants. They only require a CSQ if your province of destination is listed as Quebec or your CoPR mentions a CSQ number.

PR's who got the status through a federal scheme can get healthcare with just their CoPR. Healthcare in Quebec is not limited to Quebec selected immigrants. All PR's living in Quebec are eligible for insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
The links you provided say that a CSQ is not needed.

Besides, I called up RAMQ the other day and asked the process for obtaining health insurance for non-Quebec immigrants. They only require a CSQ if your province of destination is listed as Quebec or your CoPR mentions a CSQ number.

PR's who got the status through a federal scheme can get healthcare with just their CoPR. Healthcare is Quebec is not limited to Quebec selected immigrants. All PR's living in Quebec are eligible for insurance.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Hi all,

I applied to PR through Express Entry (not any Province Nominee programs) and planning to land in Toronto around March.

Some people say you can move anywhere in Canada once you get PR and after you land outside Quebec, others say it's not possible. Is this a grey area?

I am French and settling in Montreal could be easier than settling in Toronto, so I am trying to understand if this is an option or not at all.

My concerns are:

1. Is that allowed, just a grey area, or forbidden?
2. In this case, will obtaining a SIN number, health insurance card, driving license etc... be a problem?
3. Will it create further problems later on, when asking for citizenship?

Appreciate any help/experience feedback,

Thanks
matt
I did what you are proposing to do. No problems with RAMQ.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
I did what you are proposing to do. No problems with RAMQ.
Thanks for sharing. I was advised to wait to receive the PR card in Toronto before eventually moving to Quebec. So roughly a 2 months wait. Have you done the same or have you received your PR card in Quebec?