+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I am wondering why there is some applicant from previous months have thier DM status but no oath letter or ceremony up to now? May be they didn’t update the spreadsheet ? I don’t understand why would the ceremony takes a long time for many people. I thought it should be the fastest step as they are done processing all the application.
I wanted also to ask what would happen with PR renewal application after a decision made to citizenship application?
Oath has a huge backlog at this time. Some early 2020 applicants are being scheduled for an oath date that is in early-mid August. You misunderstood the situation if you thought oath was supposed to be quick.

Unless IRCC does something decrease the backlog for oath, it is going to take a while.

Nothing out-of-the-ordinary would happen to your PR card renewal application, it will be in process as usual. On the day of your ceremony, if your PR card renewal application is still in process, you have to tell the IRCC official - they will send an internal request to cancel the renewal application as you are not supposed to (and you don't need to) have your PR card - whether expired or valid. You'll also have to cut your current PR card in front of the camera at the conclusion of the oath ceremony.

Last edited:
Reactions: girgir

Skywalker_RT

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Skywalker_RT @popek90 @MM345 Guys, the test window is almost up for you. Have you guys completed the test? Could you please post an update if you have taken the test and if yes, the date you took the test, thank you!
I had my test done last Wednesday (23rd), but my wife wanted to practice a little more, so she is taking hers tonight. As others noticed, the test was considerably easier than the practicing material around. Scored 20/20, with perhaps 2 or 3 tricky questions, but none of those "Who was Jane Doe Whomever, who might have been a Neurosurgeon, an Olympian, or perhaps a member of the Group of Nine-and-Three-Quarters".

Skywalker_RT

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By the way, still no updates on my status page. Could be because I used my PR card. As someone noticed, it doesn't show my signature, but I had no option, as I wasn't able to focus my DL enough to even get my name readable, and NS health cards have no picture or signature. But I don't think they would be incompetent enough to suggest the PR card, which is a Federal document, known not to have a signature, only to say it's not valid later. If they keep doing this, someone will eventually judicialize the question, maybe even alleging some cr_p like discrimination, bringing unwanted media attention over them.

Reactions: Nevine.Kassem

wskamel

Jan 25, 2015
By the way, still no updates on my status page. Could be because I used my PR card. As someone noticed, it doesn't show my signature, but I had no option, as I wasn't able to focus my DL enough to even get my name readable, and NS health cards have no picture or signature. But I don't think they would be incompetent enough to suggest the PR card, which is a Federal document, known not to have a signature, only to say it's not valid later. If they keep doing this, someone will eventually judicialize the question, maybe even alleging some cr_p like discrimination, bringing unwanted media attention over them.
looks like you are in Nova Scotia like me , in my case , it took around 2 weeks to get the update of test completed on tracker , Halifax office is very slow ...

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I had my test done last Wednesday (23rd), but my wife wanted to practice a little more, so she is taking hers tonight. As others noticed, the test was considerably easier than the practicing material around. Scored 20/20, with perhaps 2 or 3 tricky questions, but none of those "Who was Jane Doe Whomever, who might have been a Neurosurgeon, an Olympian, or perhaps a member of the Group of Nine-and-Three-Quarters".
Thank you. I've updated the spreadsheet.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Well, that probably isn't the reason why your test is still "In Progress". The test instructions page EXPLICITLY states that you can use your PR card as an ID EVEN IF IT IS EXPIRED. It largely depends on the local office as well.

I hope your test results get validated soon!

Good luck and please keep us posted with further updates to your application.

Last edited:

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
Can we really use a PR card with no signature for the test?

Their website explicitly says you need a photo ID with a signature on it. Then list the PR card suggesting the PR card has a signature. But my PR card has no signature. Maybe older PR cards issued earlier have a signature on? I don’t know lol

Anyone used the PR card with no signature and passed?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Can we ruse a PR card with no signature for the test?

Their website explicit says you need a photo ID with a signature on it. But my PR card has no signature. Did older PR cards issued earlier have a signature?

From what the IRCC website says, it is clear as day that PR card can be used as ID (even if it is expired).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/online.html

What you need for the test
You need
  • a piece of identification (ID), like
    • your permanent resident card (even if it’s expired), or
    • a valid (not expired) ID with your photo and signature on it (for example, driver’s licence or health card)
Having said that, if you have another ID such as Driver's license OR Health card, use that.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
From what the IRCC website says, it is clear as day that PR card can be used as ID (even if it is expired).

Having said that, if you have another ID such as Driver's license OR Health card, use that.
Thanks for the link. PR cards work then but I’ll use the healthy card just in case lol.

I hope your ecas change to decision made soon

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

nv0411

Dec 15, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Dec 2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05 Dec 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
10 Mar 2017
VISA ISSUED...
24 Mar 2017
Oath has a huge backlog at this time. Some early 2020 applicants are being scheduled for an oath date that is in early-mid August. You misunderstood the situation if you thought oath was supposed to be quick.

Unless IRCC does something decrease the backlog for oath, it is going to take a while.
Oath timelines are both annoying and really inconsistent... I've seen people from early 2020 still waiting for their turn, and I know a couple of people who applied in the fall of 2020, who completed their test in March 2021, already receiving their oath invites (though the dates are for August)... Unpredictable as usual...

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Here's a strange case from an August 2020 Mississauga applicant. Physical Presence and Language were set to "Completed" even before the applicant took the Citizenship test. This used to happen only to applicants in Quebec but this applicant lives in Brampton and the local office is Mississauga. Interesting.
Here's another strange case from an applicant residing in Brampton whose application is probably also in Mississauga office. This person wrote the test on June 27th and on June 29th, along with the test status, language + Physical Presence + Prohibitions were also said process. ECAS showed DM in 2 days from the test completion date. This is just wild!

Reactions: GuyanaGirl

nathaniel_d

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Here's another strange case from an applicant residing in Brampton whose application is probably also in Mississauga office. This person wrote the test on June 27th and on June 29th, along with the test status, language + Physical Presence + Prohibitions were also said process. ECAS showed DM in 2 days from the test completion date. This is just wild!
Hi Raj, any idea what are the timelines for oath? I am waiting for oath since more than a month. Mississauga office.

Progressive

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Can we really use a PR card with no signature for the test?

Their website explicitly says you need a photo ID with a signature on it. Then list the PR card suggesting the PR card has a signature. But my PR card has no signature. Maybe older PR cards issued earlier have a signature on? I don’t know lol

Yes, I can confirm first hand that you can use PR as an ID for the test. Both my wife and I used it and there were no problems whatsoever.