+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello.
I have some questions: I live in Newfoundland. Is my IRCC office in St. John's? I have seen somewhere that you were saying at some point the file is sent to a local IRCC office. When is the file sent to the local IRCC office? Does it matter in terms of the speed of processing which office processes your case? I would appreciate if you could give some insight. Thanks in advance.
Your office is very likely be the one in St. John's yes.

Yes, the processing speed also depends on the local offices. It is only logical because most of the processing happens in the local office (and not in Sydney).

Reactions: Matt-NL

Matt-NL

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-10-2016
Passport Req..
26 October 2017
VISA ISSUED...
21 November 2017
LANDED..........
Landed as a PR 13 December 2017 (In Canada since 2015)
Your office is very likely be the one in St. John's yes.

Yes, the processing speed also depends on the local offices. It is only logical because most of the processing happens in the local office (and not in Sydney).

When (on which processing stage) Sydney sends case files to local IRCC offices? For example, after BG Checks are completed? Or is there no rule/regularity for that? As you may have noticed, the processing of my case is slower than the processing of other applicants' case in our September 2020 group. Do you think, its reason is St. John's office? When you analyze my case what do you think when I could have my test and ceremony? I know you are very experienced and know lots of things I am not aware of. I would be very grateful if you could elaborate a little to help me better understand my situation. I truly appreciate your kind help.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Hi

My application status says "Oath ceremony scheduled for December 22 and instructions have been mailed". I have gotten nothing via email or physical mail, and I followed up with IRCC by web form, email but got no response. Has anyone dealt with this?
First of all, Congrats !

You have lot of time. I am sure they'll send you more info before that date.

btw, where is your local IRCC office ? Is it Mississauga?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
When (on which processing stage) Sydney sends case files to local IRCC offices? For example, after BG Checks are completed? Or is there no rule/regularity for that? As you may have noticed, the processing of my case is slower than the processing of other applicants' case in our September 2020 group. Do you think, its reason is St. John's office? When you analyze my case what do you think when I could have my test and ceremony? I know you are very experienced and know lots of things I am not aware of. I would be very grateful if you could elaborate a little to help me better understand my situation. I truly appreciate your kind help.
Usually around the time of BG checks. Check my GCMS notes in the link below that shows when my file was transferred to the LVO =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/september-2020-citizenship-applicants.700718/page-115#post-9437895

Generally, it takes about 3 - 5 months from the date test is validated to receive an oath date notification. The actual oath date could be 6 months away from the oath notification.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi

My application status says "Oath ceremony scheduled for December 22 and instructions have been mailed". I have gotten nothing via email or physical mail, and I followed up with IRCC by web form, email but got no response. Has anyone dealt with this?
I've updated the spreadsheet. You'll receive an email only about a week or two before the ceremony.

Could you also please provide the date when your "Prohibitions" was set to "Completed"? Thanks!

Matt-NL

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-10-2016
Passport Req..
26 October 2017
VISA ISSUED...
21 November 2017
LANDED..........
Landed as a PR 13 December 2017 (In Canada since 2015)
Usually around the time of BG checks. Check my GCMS notes in the link below that shows when my file was transferred to the LVO =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/september-2020-citizenship-applicants.700718/page-115#post-9437895

Generally, it takes about 3 - 5 months from the date test is validated to receive an oath date notification. The actual oath date could be 6 months away from the oath notification.

Thank you.
1) Does your answer "around the BG Checks" mean before or after? Or it depends (on individual case).
2) Does your answer "3 - 6 months" mean after the BG Checks, it will take 3 to 5 months until the test?
I am sorry for my extra questions. Probably you are familiar with these terms and procedures, but I really didn't understand.
As usual, thank you very much for your answers in advance. You are a great help for all of us here.
Best.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you.
1) Does your answer "around the BG Checks" mean before or after? Or it depends (on individual case).
2) Does your answer "3 - 6 months" mean after the BG Checks, it will take 3 to 5 months until the test?
I am sorry for my extra questions. Probably you are familiar with these terms and procedures, but I really didn't understand.
As usual, thank you very much for your answers in advance. You are a great help for all of us here.
Best.
1. Depends. My file was transferred 1 day after my BG checks were completed. The time taken between BG Checks "Completed" to test invite is anyone's guess. It is so random, there isn't a way we could predict it. For me, it took about 3.5 months to receive a test invite from when my BG checks were set to "Completed".

2. I said 3 - 5 months. 3 - 5 months from when your "Citizenship Test" status is set to "Completed" to get an oath date (also referred to as oath notification). This means that in about 3 - 5 months from when "Citizenship Test" is set to "Completed", you'll receive a notification on the New Citizenship status Dashboard that says "Congratulations! You've been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on XX,YY date." The XX, YY date could be anywhere between 1 month to 6 months from the date you receive this notification on the dashboard.

For example, if your test status is set to "Completed" today (September 17th, 2021), you might receive a notification in your status dashboard on February 17, 2022 saying "Congratulations! You've been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on July 17th, 2022."

Please note that these are estimates only and things could happen much sooner than what I've mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: visitingprof

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Here are the instructions :

If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
  • in the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.

People are now receiving both the test invite and PP pages request together. So, that is normal.

Check the code in the email ID you received the test invite from. You might see shortened office codes. MIS = Mississauga, SCR = Scarborough etc.
Thanks for your response. So, "DN PNT CIT Scheduling" - does this mean Calgary? I really cannot tell.

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
First of all, Congrats !

You have lot of time. I am sure they'll send you more info before that date.

btw, where is your local IRCC office ? Is it Mississauga?

Thanks rajneeshv! I am not sure where the local office is except that I recall going to the Etobicoke office to pick up COPRs when my wife and son became permanent residents in 2018.

I've updated the spreadsheet. You'll receive an email only about a week or two before the ceremony.

Could you also please provide the date when your "Prohibitions" was set to "Completed"? Thanks!
Thanks rajkamalmohanram. Prohibitions was marked completed on Aug 11. I am based out of Toronto, and was planning on visiting family in the US around that time. I am trying to figure if I should plan to fly back to Toronto, or Ottawa or some other location. Not sure if there is a resource that confirms location based on applicant's residential address.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Typically, how soon should we hear back from the office after replying on the issue of taking the exam abroad? It seems to ne that they should reply the same day or so, but it has been several days and I had heard back anything. Should that be something to worry?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks rajneeshv! I am not sure where the local office is except that I recall going to the Etobicoke office to pick up COPRs when my wife and son became permanent residents in 2018.

Thanks rajkamalmohanram. Prohibitions was marked completed on Aug 11. I am based out of Toronto, and was planning on visiting family in the US around that time. I am trying to figure if I should plan to fly back to Toronto, or Ottawa or some other location. Not sure if there is a resource that confirms location based on applicant's residential address.
You can attend oath from ANYWHERE in Canada (this includes Alert, Nunavut - if you can get there :p).

I've updated the spreadsheet, thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
w00t!! Sorry for being “doubting Thomas”, but where do you get that from? (Oath anywhere from Canada?)
Its common knowledge. The clerk at the ceremony asked me if I was in Canada (and never asked me if I was in Mississauga or Ontario). Also, the oath letter says you need to be in "Canada" to be able to take oath (and nowhere is it mentioned that you need to take oath from the same city you applied from).