+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****September 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
I was also in the same situation. Finally linked based on the instructions shared, in this forum. Check the posts shared earlier to link the OWP application, if you didn't see that.

All the best for linking and don't worry, linking is just for us to follow.. doesn't matter much. I have seen few have got OWP approval email in PA's email ID even without linking.
Yeah, I've been doing it exactly as the instructions read, tried a few different combos (place of birth or passport, for example), it's just not showing up yet. I'm not worried since I got AOR but it's nice to know it's THERE and it's in the queue, lol. But I will keep waiting and checking e-mails. :)

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
Yeah, I've been doing it exactly as the instructions read, tried a few different combos (place of birth or passport, for example), it's just not showing up yet. I'm not worried since I got AOR but it's nice to know it's THERE and it's in the queue, lol. But I will keep waiting and checking e-mails. :)
@simoneleah, have you tried the combination in this post?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/september-2019-inland-spousal-pr-owp.652600/page-21#post-8303149

Imeobong

Mar 1, 2010
The latest one I’m seeing in the August tab was approved Nov 7, while the April and June tabs show a couple OWPs approved between Nov 8-15. Just thought that was interesting. I hope you’re right about September applicants seeing theirs this week! Good luck :)
The June guy that got late OWP approval on the 15th of November forgot to pay $100 in the initial apps and had to resend it July 24. Hence why the late approval. Same might apply to the others.

jenhru23

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
We were able to link the OWP just now. I followed the steps on the link above. Does that mean they accepted the owp documents and found complete and won’t return it?

App received: Sept 23
AOR: Nov 13
Owp linked: Nov 18

Reactions: TriniKRN

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
We were able to link the OWP just now. I followed the steps on the link above. Does that mean they accepted the owp documents and found complete and won’t return it?

App received: Sept 23
AOR: Nov 13
Owp linked: Nov 18
Great stuff @jenhru23. My understanding is that it wouldn't have linked if it was to be returned. Note, this doesn't mean your're approved, but I can't see why it wouldn't be approved if the submitted documents were without issue.

All the best.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
Yep, I've tried most everything. :p Linked my regular application super easily so I guess I just get to wait for this one. I'll keep trying, but it's not the end of the world as long as it comes. :)
Ok. That UCI issue seems to be an fail point for some so I was hoping that would solve it. But yup, it's all just a waiting game. I keep checking to see whether any of the early September folks have gotten approved OWP. looking at the August list I can't see why they haven't moved on to September. Oh well, the wait continues. :cool:

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Ok. That UCI issue seems to be an fail point for some so I was hoping that would solve it. But yup, it's all just a waiting game. I keep checking to see whether any of the early September folks have gotten approved OWP. looking at the August list I can't see why they haven't moved on to September. Oh well, the wait continues. :cool:
Yeah, I've been using my UCI from an IEC OWP, which is the same UCI I linked my PR application. Although the UCI attached to my PR application seems to be the same anyway.

I think our OWP apps count as 'Work permit extensions' (online? possibly? I highly doubt the PR office mails our packages from one office to another, seems like a waste of money) and if that's the case they're "technically" working on July applications, lol. So, keep waiting!

weirdduck

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Great stuff @jenhru23. My understanding is that it wouldn't have linked if it was to be returned. Note, this doesn't mean your're approved, but I can't see why it wouldn't be approved if the submitted documents were without issue.

All the best.
What is the difference between being able to link OWP and OWP approved that are categorized on your profile?

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
What is the difference between being able to link OWP and OWP approved that are categorized on your profile?
  • "Linking the OWP" means that you have been able to attach the paper based Open Work Permit application to your online account.
  • "OWP Approval" happens when you have been notified that the OWP is actually approved.
Note - Even if you do not link the OWP, you will still be notified via email when it is approved.

It may take several weeks between the ability to link and the actual approval. After the approval, it may take another week to receive the OWP in the mail.

Manny777

Star Member
Aug 16, 2019
  • "Linking the OWP" means that you have been able to attach the paper based Open Work Permit application to your online account.
  • "OWP Approval" happens when you have been notified that the OWP is actually approved.
Note - Even if you do not link the OWP, you will still be notified via email when it is approved.

It may take several weeks between the ability to link and the actual approval. After the approval, it may take another week to receive the OWP in the mail.
Our online application says approved and then we get an email is it?

Is there any other updates we see online for OWP, like background verification is in progress etc or directly it goes to approved state? Any idea?

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019

Is there any other updates we see online for OWP, like background verification is in progress etc or directly it goes to approved state? Any idea?
Sorry @Manny777, but I'm a bit confused. Are you asking what is supposed to happen, or are you stating that your online applications says approved?

As for the latter part, I don't know what other granular details are posted online. ;)

twgoundarmorton

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Barrie, ON
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-09-2019
AOR Received.
31-10-2019
LANDED..........
24-07-2020

From what I understand is, we will receive an email once our OWP is approved, but you don’t see any details on ECAS as to how its being processed. That’s just following what I’ve read from others in the forum.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed to her something this week.

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
From what I understand is, we will receive an email once our OWP is approved, but you don’t see any details on ECAS as to how its being processed. That’s just following what I’ve read from others in the forum.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed to her something this week.
Yes, that is in keeping with point 10 in the following post:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/open-work-permit-owp-how-to-link-on-mycic-and-timeline-2018.589141/page-4#post-7454452

Manny777

Star Member
Aug 16, 2019
Sorry @Manny777, but I'm a bit confused. Are you asking what is supposed to happen, or are you stating that your online applications says approved?

As for the latter part, I don't know what other granular details are posted online. ;)
Sorry, if my statement was confusing. I was just asking about the steps. How does it work?
Is it like, first we can see online that our application is approved and then we get an email?

Last edited: