+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit (OWP) - How to link on MyCIC and timeline - 2018

Ashie

Star Member
Oct 17, 2012
Hello everyone!
We are october applicant. We received our AOR on Nov. I would like ti know if I am allowed to link my application (PR + 0WP) in my account if it’s already linked to my consultant’s account? I have a consultant but I cant just email/call her everyday to ask for an update.
Hoping somebody from here could help me. Thank you.

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Here is an FAQ post from an FB group. It might be informative for some people:

Open Work Permit (OWP) Frequently Asked Questions

KELLIE HODGINS·WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018

Applying for the OWP...
1.What are the fees for the OWP?
The total fees for the OWP are $255, and this is the most common mistake that results in the OWP application being sent back. There is a $155 fee and a $100 fee, one being the open work permit holder fee, and the other fee being the work permit application fee. Both must be paid.
2. I'm confused by the OWP application form. What do I answer for the type of work permit and the details of my intended work?
The correct selection is always "initial work permit", even if you already have another type of work permit. In the section asking about your intended work in Canada, you will completely skip questions #2-#8, only answer #5.
3. The OWP application checklist asks for documents that I've already included in my PR application, like my passport and marriage certificate. Do I need to include these again?
YES, you need to include the documents again. When your application is received in Mississauga, the OWP application is separated out and shipped off to Vegreville to be processed. If it is missing documents on the checklist it will be returned to you. Even though they are being mailed together (if you're submitting them both at the same time), they are two completely different applications and they both need to be complete.
4. Can an outland applicant apply for the OWP?
No, the OWP is only available to inland applicants.
5. Am I required to apply for the OWP if I'm applying inland?
No, you are not required. However, the OWP is the only benefit of applying inland, so if you do not apply for the OWP, you should consider applying outland instead.
6. I didn't submit the OWP application with my PR application, but I'd like to submit it now. How do I submit it?
You can apply for the OWP at any time while your PR application is processing. If you have not yet received AIP, you need to apply for the OWP via mail and send the application to Vegreville. If you have received AIP, you can apply for the OWP online. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17
7. Can I apply for the OWP online?
Yes, but only if you have received AIP (approval in principle) on your PR application.
8. How long does it take to receive my OWP?
You can expect to receive your OWP in about 4 months if you mailed it in alongside your PR application, and about 3 months if you submit it directly to Vegreville at a later date.
9. What should I do if more than 4 months have passed and I have not received my OWP?
IRCC is very consistent with their 4 month processing time for the OWP. If more than 4 months have passed, there is a chance they may have believed you were out of status when you sent your application and have set it aside to be processed once you receive AIP, or something else is wrong. You should call IRCC and confirm the reason for the delay.
10. Do I need to link my OWP application online?
While some people do have success linking their OWP application online, the only reason you might want to do so would be to confirm it was received and is being processed. Besides that, there is no advantage. There are no updates or requests that come through the online account for the OWP like there are for the PR application.
11. Will I receive AOR or other communications/updates about my OWP application?
No, you will not receive AOR or any other communications about your OWP until it has been approved.
12. I just received AOR for my PR application, does this mean my OWP application is also good to go and will not be returned?
No, the AOR refers to your PR application only. If your OWP application is going to be returned, it will likely not be returned until after you receive your AOR.
13. If there is a mistake on my OWP application, will my PR and OWP applications both be returned to me?
No. As long as your PR application is complete, it will be accepted for processing, and only the OWP application will be returned.
14. Is the OWP still a pilot program?
Yes. Currently this program has been extended through the beginning of 2019. Once the end of the pilot approaches each year, IRCC announces whether or not it will be extended, and it has already been extended multiple times. This is a very popular program and there is no indication they will stop offering it any time soon.
15. Do I need to apply for the OWP to be able to work in Canada once I become a PR?
No. Permanent residents can work in Canada just like Canadian citizens can, with no work permit required.
After you receive your OWP...
16. Oh no! I just received my OWP in the mail and it has exclusions listed on the bottom, including childcare, teaching, and healthcare. This is my field of work! Why has this happened?
If you're applying for an OWP without a medical exam, those limitations will be listed on the OWP, because you're required to pass a medical to be able to work in those professions. If your OWP has already been issued, you need to reapply for the OWP and submit an upfront medical with your application. If you haven't applied yet, you can submit an upfront medical and include a letter of explanation to make sure those exclusions will not be listed.
17. Does an OWP grant me re-entry to Canada?
No, it does not. While having an OWP will make it much easier for you to gain entry to Canada, it does not guarantee re-entry. Only citizens and PRs have guaranteed entry to Canada.
18. How long is the OWP valid for?
The OWP is issued for 2 years.
19. Why was my OWP issued for less than 2 years?
If your passport expires sooner than 2 years from now, your OWP will be issued to expire the same day as your passport.
20. Can I renew my OWP? How do I renew my OWP?
You can renew your OWP indefinitely until you receive a decision on your PR application. The renewal process is the exact same as the original application (all the same forms and documentation). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17
21. If my PR application is withdrawn or denied, will my OWP still be valid?
Yes, your OWP will continue to provide you with valid worker status in Canada and will be valid until the date of expiry.
Status Questions...
22. What happens if I submit the OWP application while I'm out of status?
You are only eligible to apply for the OWP if you are currently in status. If you are out of status, the OWP application will not be sent back to you - instead, it will be set aside and left unprocessed until you receive AIP on your PR application. AIP stands for "approval in principle" and means you have met eligibility requirements. This typically comes very late in the process (10 or more months in). Once you receive AIP, they will issue your OWP.
23. I recently applied to extend my stay as a visitor and I'm currently on implied status. Can I apply for the OWP?
While some people have had success applying for the OWP while on implied status, many people have had their applications set aside till AIP because they applied while on implied status. It is much safer to wait until you receive a decision on your extension application, then apply for the OWP.
24. I've applied for the OWP, so am I now covered by implied status, or do I need to continue to extend my status in Canada?
As long as your OWP application is accepted for processing, you are covered by implied status. You must always consider the chance that there is a mistake in the application and it could be returned to you, so you should cover your bases and continue to extend your status until you are certain the OWP application has been accepted for processing and will not be returned.

Make sure you like it if you find it useful ;)

Last edited:

yint29

Dec 17, 2018
Hi,

Submitted my PR+OWP application in Oct 2018. Was successfully able to link both applications on my CIC account, however I see the 'registration pending' under the OWP application link status and a different date of submission for OWP as opposed to the PR even though I submitted both of them together. Can anyone help me understand the meaning of the status and anything to do with respect to the dates? Thanks!

Rsp1990

Aug 24, 2019
Here is an FAQ post from an FB group. It might be informative for some people:

Open Work Permit (OWP) Frequently Asked Questions

KELLIE HODGINS·WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018

Applying for the OWP...
1.What are the fees for the OWP?
The total fees for the OWP are $255, and this is the most common mistake that results in the OWP application being sent back. There is a $155 fee and a $100 fee, one being the open work permit holder fee, and the other fee being the work permit application fee. Both must be paid.
2. I'm confused by the OWP application form. What do I answer for the type of work permit and the details of my intended work?
The correct selection is always "initial work permit", even if you already have another type of work permit. In the section asking about your intended work in Canada, you will completely skip questions #2-#8, only answer #5.
3. The OWP application checklist asks for documents that I've already included in my PR application, like my passport and marriage certificate. Do I need to include these again?
YES, you need to include the documents again. When your application is received in Mississauga, the OWP application is separated out and shipped off to Vegreville to be processed. If it is missing documents on the checklist it will be returned to you. Even though they are being mailed together (if you're submitting them both at the same time), they are two completely different applications and they both need to be complete.
4. Can an outland applicant apply for the OWP?
No, the OWP is only available to inland applicants.
5. Am I required to apply for the OWP if I'm applying inland?
No, you are not required. However, the OWP is the only benefit of applying inland, so if you do not apply for the OWP, you should consider applying outland instead.
6. I didn't submit the OWP application with my PR application, but I'd like to submit it now. How do I submit it?
You can apply for the OWP at any time while your PR application is processing. If you have not yet received AIP, you need to apply for the OWP via mail and send the application to Vegreville. If you have received AIP, you can apply for the OWP online. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17
7. Can I apply for the OWP online?
Yes, but only if you have received AIP (approval in principle) on your PR application.
8. How long does it take to receive my OWP?
You can expect to receive your OWP in about 4 months if you mailed it in alongside your PR application, and about 3 months if you submit it directly to Vegreville at a later date.
9. What should I do if more than 4 months have passed and I have not received my OWP?
IRCC is very consistent with their 4 month processing time for the OWP. If more than 4 months have passed, there is a chance they may have believed you were out of status when you sent your application and have set it aside to be processed once you receive AIP, or something else is wrong. You should call IRCC and confirm the reason for the delay.
10. Do I need to link my OWP application online?
While some people do have success linking their OWP application online, the only reason you might want to do so would be to confirm it was received and is being processed. Besides that, there is no advantage. There are no updates or requests that come through the online account for the OWP like there are for the PR application.
11. Will I receive AOR or other communications/updates about my OWP application?
No, you will not receive AOR or any other communications about your OWP until it has been approved.
12. I just received AOR for my PR application, does this mean my OWP application is also good to go and will not be returned?
No, the AOR refers to your PR application only. If your OWP application is going to be returned, it will likely not be returned until after you receive your AOR.
13. If there is a mistake on my OWP application, will my PR and OWP applications both be returned to me?
No. As long as your PR application is complete, it will be accepted for processing, and only the OWP application will be returned.
14. Is the OWP still a pilot program?
Yes. Currently this program has been extended through the beginning of 2019. Once the end of the pilot approaches each year, IRCC announces whether or not it will be extended, and it has already been extended multiple times. This is a very popular program and there is no indication they will stop offering it any time soon.
15. Do I need to apply for the OWP to be able to work in Canada once I become a PR?
No. Permanent residents can work in Canada just like Canadian citizens can, with no work permit required.
After you receive your OWP...
16. Oh no! I just received my OWP in the mail and it has exclusions listed on the bottom, including childcare, teaching, and healthcare. This is my field of work! Why has this happened?
If you're applying for an OWP without a medical exam, those limitations will be listed on the OWP, because you're required to pass a medical to be able to work in those professions. If your OWP has already been issued, you need to reapply for the OWP and submit an upfront medical with your application. If you haven't applied yet, you can submit an upfront medical and include a letter of explanation to make sure those exclusions will not be listed.
17. Does an OWP grant me re-entry to Canada?
No, it does not. While having an OWP will make it much easier for you to gain entry to Canada, it does not guarantee re-entry. Only citizens and PRs have guaranteed entry to Canada.
18. How long is the OWP valid for?
The OWP is issued for 2 years.
19. Why was my OWP issued for less than 2 years?
If your passport expires sooner than 2 years from now, your OWP will be issued to expire the same day as your passport.
20. Can I renew my OWP? How do I renew my OWP?
You can renew your OWP indefinitely until you receive a decision on your PR application. The renewal process is the exact same as the original application (all the same forms and documentation). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17
21. If my PR application is withdrawn or denied, will my OWP still be valid?
Yes, your OWP will continue to provide you with valid worker status in Canada and will be valid until the date of expiry.
Status Questions...
22. What happens if I submit the OWP application while I'm out of status?
You are only eligible to apply for the OWP if you are currently in status. If you are out of status, the OWP application will not be sent back to you - instead, it will be set aside and left unprocessed until you receive AIP on your PR application. AIP stands for "approval in principle" and means you have met eligibility requirements. This typically comes very late in the process (10 or more months in). Once you receive AIP, they will issue your OWP.
23. I recently applied to extend my stay as a visitor and I'm currently on implied status. Can I apply for the OWP?
While some people have had success applying for the OWP while on implied status, many people have had their applications set aside till AIP because they applied while on implied status. It is much safer to wait until you receive a decision on your extension application, then apply for the OWP.
24. I've applied for the OWP, so am I now covered by implied status, or do I need to continue to extend my status in Canada?
As long as your OWP application is accepted for processing, you are covered by implied status. You must always consider the chance that there is a mistake in the application and it could be returned to you, so you should cover your bases and continue to extend your status until you are certain the OWP application has been accepted for processing and will not be returned.

Make sure you like it if you find it useful ;)

I don’t know if you’re still active here but I have a question about submission of OWP under implied status. I submitted my application 12th of July and CIC received it 19th of July as per mycic status after we received AOR 27th of August and linked it the same day. My question is, where do they base the day of your owp submission? Is it based on the day they received it or based on the day we got the AOR for PR. Hope to hear from you soon my friend.

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
I don’t know if you’re still active here but I have a question about submission of OWP under implied status. I submitted my application 12th of July and CIC received it 19th of July as per mycic status after we received AOR 27th of August and linked it the same day. My question is, where do they base the day of your owp submission? Is it based on the day they received it or based on the day we got the AOR for PR. Hope to hear from you soon my friend.
The day CIC received it, and in most cases, it will say "received" 7 days before they actually received it. For example, in your case, it may say received on the 5th or the 12th of July. Not sure why CIC does it this way but it's a good thing, I guess... o_O

Did you also submit a PR application along with it? If yes, could you please clarify what you meant by submitted under Implied Status? Because your OWP application may get rejected unless you had a valid visitor status to stay in Canada and were waiting for your other work or study permit at the time of submission. Otherwise, your OWP will be rejected as it is outlined on the instruction:
"If you’re sponsoring your spouse, they can apply for an open work permit.
It will take us about 4-5 months to process the open work permit application.
Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must:
  • maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada.
I've know a couple of applicants who ran into the same problem and couldn't get their OWP until they were Approved in Principle.

Rsp1990

Aug 24, 2019
The day CIC received it, and in most cases, it will say "received" 7 days before they actually received it. For example, in your case, it may say received on the 5th or the 12th of July. Not sure why CIC does it this way but it's a good thing, I guess... o_O

Did you also submit a PR application along with it? If yes, could you please clarify what you meant by submitted under Implied Status? Because your OWP application may get rejected unless you had a valid visitor status to stay in Canada and were waiting for your other work or study permit at the time of submission. Otherwise, your OWP will be rejected as it is outlined on the instruction:
"If you’re sponsoring your spouse, they can apply for an open work permit.
It will take us about 4-5 months to process the open work permit application.
Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must:
  • maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada.
I've know a couple of applicants who ran into the same problem and couldn't get their OWP until they were Approved in Principle.

Thank you for your response dear. Yeah we have submitted PR application together with the OWP. Just to give you a clear background of my story. I came back here in Edmonton the 24th of February this year and submitted PR + OWP the 12th of July 2019. The Immigration Officer in YVR airport didn’t put a stamp on my passport so I assumed that I’m allowed to stay here for 6 months from the day I arrived here in Edmonton which is Feb 24. Technically my 6th month would be the 24th of August. I submitted both my application the 12th of July and as per AOR received on the 27th of July, CIC said they received my application 17th of July. Also, just to make sure that I will never be out of status, I have submitted a request for extension of stay 17th of july online. Now I wonder if everything is okay with my OWP application cause I received AOR the 27th and that’s beyond my 6th month and I haven’t received any response for the extension of stay request i made last 17th of July.

Rsp1990

Aug 24, 2019
Which leads me to my question before about where ircc base the receipt of OWP, is it based on the day they received the owp application which is 17th of July or the day we received AOR which is the 27th of August? Thank you again for your response.

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Which leads me to my question before about where ircc base the receipt of OWP, is it based on the day they received the owp application which is 17th of July or the day we received AOR which is the 27th of August? Thank you again for your response.
Gotcha! Then you’ll be fine as your OWP application was received before the expiry of your temporary resident status. You are probably looking to hear the good news in the last 2 weeks of October and can start working as soon as you activate your SIN number.
My suggestion to you: start looking for a job from now on and if you happen to land an interview in the mean time, just tell them you are waiting for you work permit. It will be a good practice

Rsp1990

Aug 24, 2019
Gotcha! Then you’ll be fine as your OWP application was received before the expiry of your temporary resident status. You are probably looking to hear the good news in the last 2 weeks of October and can start working as soon as you activate your SIN number.
My suggestion to you: start looking for a job from now on and if you happen to land an interview in the mean time, just tell them you are waiting for you work permit. It will be a good practice
Wow perfect. I was so worried about the “out of status” thing. I really appreciate your prompt response to my messages dear. I hope to receive it soon so I can start working cause we’re only relying on one income for now. However, I don’t know how to track the progess of my OWP application cause I cannot seem to link it online. I tried all the possible combinations even the one I found on this forum but nothing happened.

Yes thank you for your advice my friend. I will start looking for jobs now and I hope I could get one soon too. I will let them know I’m just waiting for my permit just like what you told me to do so.

Rsp1990

Aug 24, 2019
@barsarah: Good day my friend. I just tried my luck again in linking my application and thank God the system was able to find my application and it is now linked to my account. Does this mean that my application has been entered and the system and there is no way that they will return my documents?

Anyway, I would really like to thank you for the assistance and the time you spent answering my messages. I wish you a great day ahead my friend.

Reactions: barsarah

pepino99

May 17, 2019
@barsarah: Good day my friend. I just tried my luck again in linking my application and thank God the system was able to find my application and it is now linked to my account. Does this mean that my application has been entered and the system and there is no way that they will return my documents?

Anyway, I would really like to thank you for the assistance and the time you spent answering my messages. I wish you a great day ahead my friend.
I want to know this as well, if you were able.to link your work permit does that mean that they will not return it?? It says "submitted".

Reactions: barsarah

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
I want to know this as well, if you were able.to link your work permit does that mean that they will not return it?? It says "submitted".
Excellent question guys! Being able to link your application online means that your application is complete and you are now able to receive communications from IRCC. However, it doesn't guarantee your approval. The end result is still up in the air and it could be either positive, negative or postponed.

If it is positive, you will be receiving an email informing your approval in 2 to 5 months after your application was received (not linked). If negative, you will be receiving an email (still in 2 to 5 months) informing your denial (mostly happens due to a missing $100 OWP fee out of the full $255, missing signature or if the applicant's status in Canada was expired at the time of submission). Occasionally if the corresponding officer is nice enough, you would receive an email informing you that your application was put on hold until the final stages of your PR application, or in very special cases, you won't hear anything as your application would be forwarded to a secondary office for a special review.

All in all, stay positive and wait...

pepino99

May 17, 2019
Excellent question guys! Being able to link your application online means that your application is complete and you are now able to receive communications from IRCC. However, it doesn't guarantee your approval. The end result is still up in the air and it could be either positive, negative or postponed.

If it is positive, you will be receiving an email informing your approval in 2 to 5 months after your application was received (not linked). If negative, you will be receiving an email (still in 2 to 5 months) informing your denial (mostly happens due to a missing $100 OWP fee out of the full $255, missing signature or if the applicant's status in Canada was expired at the time of submission). Occasionally if the corresponding officer is nice enough, you would receive an email informing you that your application was put on hold until the final stages of your PR application, or in very special cases, you won't hear anything as your application would be forwarded to a secondary office for a special review.

All in all, stay positive and wait...
I called them last week and some officer told me I lacked 100 CAD which is impossible because I sent three receipts, one for 1195 CAD, the other for 155 CAD, and the last one for 100 CAD. Maybe somebody lost it in the way I don't know..I panicked and told him all my receipts serial numbers and the payments where there but not linked to my OWP. The guys said that they didn't even start to process yes my OWP. So he sent a an email telling the officer that I indeed completely paid everything and that they had made a mistake. I sent a webform that same day (1 week ago) with all the receipts. The same receipts I never forgot to send. I still didn't get an answer, still the OWP says submitted and it's going to get to the 4 month mark the 13 of June. What should I do. I would feel.like sheet if they return my OWP for a mistake they made.

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
I called them last week and some officer told me I lacked 100 CAD which is impossible because I sent three receipts, one for 1195 CAD, the other for 155 CAD, and the last one for 100 CAD. Maybe somebody lost it in the way I don't know..I panicked and told him all my receipts serial numbers and the payments where there but not linked to my OWP. The guys said that they didn't even start to process yes my OWP. So he sent a an email telling the officer that I indeed completely paid everything and that they had made a mistake. I sent a webform that same day (1 week ago) with all the receipts. The same receipts I never forgot to send. I still didn't get an answer, still the OWP says submitted and it's going to get to the 4 month mark the 13 of June. What should I do. I would feel.like sheet if they return my OWP for a mistake they made.
Yeah unfortunately they do make mistakes at times like everyone else, and if they deny your application because of it, you can appeal the decision through your local MP.
Look up your local MP from here: https://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members and have her or him contact IRCC. I've witnessed a few applicants who were denied but then approved after their local MP challenged IRCC. You may also contact your local MP proactively if it passed the 4-month mark already. MPs have a direct line to call or email IRCC and IRCC has a legal obligation to give a proper response within 5 business days, which means the supervisor of the corresponding IRCC officer will have to review the application again with a new set of eyes and rectify if there was an error on their end.

Rsp1990

Aug 24, 2019
Hello everyone!

Good day and hope everyone is doing well rn. I just checked my account online and my OWP just got approved yesterday. They sent me a message on the same platform and it was the approval letter for my application. They confirmed the delivery of my documents and will just wait for it to arrive in our mail. So happy that I could finally start working soon and thanks for your advice my friend @barsarah.

Just wanted to share my timeline so far:

Date Submitted: 12th July 2019
PR Date Received: 19th July 2019
AOR: 27th August 2019
OWP Date Received: 12th July 0919
OWP Online Link Date: 19th September 2019
OWP Approved: 7th October 2019

Just pray and have faith my friends. Better days are coming.