+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2018 AOR - join here

Maxgord

Star Member
May 31, 2018
@Peacekeeper87 @Maxgord

Job Title: Engineering Trainee - Job Rotation
Duties and responsibilities:
Job rotation at company departments related to the construction site: Projects, Designs, Installations, Budget and Costs, Planning and Control, Quality, Technical Assistance, Procurement, Real Estate Development, Personnel Department, Tax Invoices Center, Financial Department, Customer Relationships, Labor Safety, Housing Loan.
Hi guys! As promised an opinion on NOC selection.

I see that there may be some wrong misconception formed about NOC selection. First of all, you did the right decision choosing NOC 2131 and you’ll be most likely fine.

(Disclaimer! I’m not an emigration officer or ‘construction guy’ knowing all aspects of your jobs. All my knowledge based on CIC website and extensive research on this forum over last few months)

Let me explain:

Names of positions don’t matter. What matters is:

1. Lead statement (including type of employer),
2. Duties (most in your ref should match, but we are not talking about exact ‘word-for-word’ match, but about general sense.
3. Requirements (education)

So let’s analyze your case in detail:

1. Lead statement NOC 2131 Civil engineers

‘Civil engineers plan, design, develop and manage projects for the construction or repair of buildings, earth structures, powerhouses, roads, airports, railways, rapid transit facilities, bridges, tunnels, canals, dams, ports and coastal installations and systems related to highway and transportation services, water distribution and sanitation. Civil engineers may also specialize in foundation analysis, building and structural inspection, surveying, geomatics and municipal planning. Civil engineers are employed by engineering consulting companies, in all levels of government, by construction firms and in many other industries, or they may be self-employed.’

What can we see here? I clearly see that a civil engineer can do a range of activities: plan, design, develop and manage (which are quite broad categories especially ‘develop’ and ‘manage’) and can work for construction firms.

You said that you are working for well-known Construction Company (match!) and worried that you used to work at the construction site (actually match!), but most recently you have been working in the office (at the Procurement department). (actually match!)

CURRENT POSITION (5) – annual portfolio, contracting and procurement, evaluation and decision making on materials, equipments and services for the construction sites, elaboration of contracts, services procurement, such as earthwork, paving, infrastructure systems, foundation. Standardization of internal processes = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 4 - Evaluation of solutions for optimization of services at the construction sites, sizing of regional procurement teams nationwide according to the construction sites demands, Project Management = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 3 - Evaluation of solutions for optimization of services at the construction sites. Redesign of reports for cost reduction at the construction site. = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 2 - Timely scheduling of materials and services to meet project needs. = = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 1 - Job rotation at company departments related to the construction site = plan, design, develop and manage projects (MATCH)

So we can see that all 5 positions and employer = 100% MATCH in the lead section.

2. Duties NOC 2131 Civil engineers
  • «Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements
  • Plan and design major civil projects such as buildings, roads, bridges, dams, water and waste management systems and structural steel fabrications
  • Develop construction specifications and procedures
  • Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials
  • Interpret, review and approve survey and civil design work
  • Conduct field services for civil works
  • Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations
  • Establish and monitor construction work schedules
  • Conduct feasibility studies, economic analyses, municipal and regional traffic studies, environmental impact studies or other investigations
  • Monitor air, water and soil quality and develop procedures to clean up contaminated sites
  • Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of topographic, soil, hydrological or other information and prepare reports
  • Act as project or site supervisor for land survey or construction work
  • Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for construction projects
  • Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
Just an example:

CURRENT POSITION 5

Answered for an annual portfolio (=Plan, Evaluate and recommend, Ensure , analyses, calculations and cost estimates) of USD 40 MM, divided into materials, equipment and services for the construction sites (=Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials). Activities: civil construction materials, equipment and services contracting and procurement (=Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials). Evaluation and decision making on materials, equipments and services for the construction sites. Elaboration of contracts for recurrent procurement (=Prepare contract documents) . Services procurement, such as earthwork, paving, infrastructure systems, foundation. Standardization of internal processes.

Full match! The same for FORMER POSITION 4, 3,2,1!!! (Long to explain...)

3. Requirements (education) NOC 2131 Civil engineers
  • A bachelor's degree in civil engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
  • A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification is offered by the Canada Green Building Council and may be required by some employers.
You said you have a Master's Degree in Civil Construction = 100% MATCH

Plus, let’s see Additional information on NOC 2131
  • There is considerable mobility between civil engineering specializations (MATCH) at the less senior levels.
  • Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and (MATCH) acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
We must understand that NOC system is just a general guide, nobody expects our duties match description word for word. It’s impossible and doesn’t make any sense. The general sense is important and you’re totally fine. An emigration officer is not like some PhD in engineering with full knowledge in the field. He/She is just an ordinary man. It’d would be impossible to prove you’re a not a civil engineer 100%.

Come on, isn’t procurement a part of engineering process (managing)? – of course it is! The NOC issues usually arise when people completely misunderstand what are they doing and what the NOC means. (usually, it happens through ‘agents’ who don’t give any proper consideration what’s your job about)

Hey, why would you worry? Don’t doubt yourself, I can tell that you’re definitely a civil engineer! Let your worries go and just wait for your golden email, I highly doubt you’ll encounter any problem with it. And even if, it won’t be fatal (come on you have 5 positions to play with!) – you’ll get your PR anyway! But if you provide a new NOC via CSE, you’d definitely bring more attention to your NOC.

But if you have some discrepancies with time periods you mentioned – that’s another story – it should be corrected.

Last edited:

kori_27

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
AOR Received.
14-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-10-2018
Cannot say really. I don't know the details of your application or your history.
But technically, an ADR can come at any time depending on whether or not they need some information from you.
Thank you for the detailed answer for both the questions.

Jun 27, 2018

I see that there may be some wrong misconception formed about NOC selection. First of all, you did the right decision choosing NOC 2131 and you’ll be most likely fine.

(Disclaimer! I’m not an emigration officer or ‘construction guy’ knowing all aspects of your jobs. All my knowledge based on CIC website and extensive research on this forum over last few months)

Let me explain:

2. Duties (most in your ref should match, but we are not talking about exact ‘word-for-word’ match, but about general sense.

‘Civil engineers plan, design, develop and manage projects for the construction or repair of buildings, earth structures, powerhouses, roads, airports, railways, rapid transit facilities, bridges, tunnels, canals, dams, ports and coastal installations and systems related to highway and transportation services, water distribution and sanitation. Civil engineers may also specialize in foundation analysis, building and structural inspection, surveying, geomatics and municipal planning. Civil engineers are employed by engineering consulting companies, in all levels of government, by construction firms and in many other industries, or they may be self-employed.’

What can we see here? I clearly see that a civil engineer can do a range of activities: plan, design, develop and manage (which are quite broad categories especially ‘develop’ and ‘manage’) and can work for construction firms.

You said that you are working for well-known Construction Company (match!) and worried that you used to work at the construction site (actually match!), but most recently you have been working in the office (at the Procurement department). (actually match!)

CURRENT POSITION (5) – annual portfolio, contracting and procurement, evaluation and decision making on materials, equipments and services for the construction sites, elaboration of contracts, services procurement, such as earthwork, paving, infrastructure systems, foundation. Standardization of internal processes = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 4 - Evaluation of solutions for optimization of services at the construction sites, sizing of regional procurement teams nationwide according to the construction sites demands, Project Management = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 3 - Evaluation of solutions for optimization of services at the construction sites. Redesign of reports for cost reduction at the construction site. = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 2 - Timely scheduling of materials and services to meet project needs. = = managing projects for the construction (MATCH)

FORMER POSITION 1 - Job rotation at company departments related to the construction site = plan, design, develop and manage projects (MATCH)

So we can see that all 5 positions and employer = 100% MATCH in the lead section.

• «Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements
  • Plan and design major civil projects such as buildings, roads, bridges, dams, water and waste management systems and structural steel fabrications
  • Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations
  • Conduct feasibility studies, economic analyses, municipal and regional traffic studies, environmental impact studies or other investigations
  • Monitor air, water and soil quality and develop procedures to clean up contaminated sites
  • Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of topographic, soil, hydrological or other information and prepare reports
  • Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for construction projects
  • Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
Just an example:

CURRENT POSITION 5

Answered for an annual portfolio (=Plan, Evaluate and recommend, Ensure , analyses, calculations and cost estimates) of USD 40 MM, divided into materials, equipment and services for the construction sites (=Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials). Activities: civil construction materials, equipment and services contracting and procurement (=Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials). Evaluation and decision making on materials, equipments and services for the construction sites. Elaboration of contracts for recurrent procurement (=Prepare contract documents) . Services procurement, such as earthwork, paving, infrastructure systems, foundation. Standardization of internal processes.

• A bachelor's degree in civil engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
  • A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification is offered by the Canada Green Building Council and may be required by some employers.

• There is considerable mobility between civil engineering specializations (MATCH) at the less senior levels.
  • Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and (MATCH) acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
We must understand that NOC system is just a general guide, nobody expects our duties match description word for word. It’s impossible and doesn’t make any sense. The general sense is important and you’re totally fine. An emigration officer is not like some PhD in engineering with full knowledge in the field. He/She is just an ordinary man. It’d would be impossible to prove you’re a not a civil engineer 100%.

Come on, isn’t procurement a part of engineering process (managing)? – of course it is! The NOC issues usually arise when people completely misunderstand what are they doing and what the NOC means. (usually, it happens through ‘agents’ who don’t give any proper consideration what’s your job about)

Hey, why would you worry? Don’t doubt yourself, I can tell that you’re definitely a civil engineer! Let your worries go and just wait for your golden email, I highly doubt you’ll encounter any problem with it. And even if, it won’t be fatal (come on you have 5 positions to play with!) – you’ll get your PR anyway! But if you provide a new NOC via CSE, you’d definitely bring more attention to your NOC.

But if you have some discrepancies with time periods you mentioned – that’s another story – it should be corrected.

@Maxgord , appretiate the very detailed response and the positiveness.
I think it makes sense overall... although i did raise two CSEs...

One with a new reference letter with the correction of date (TYPO).
The other with a query about NOC. What I wrote was basically "would it be more appropriate to use a more generic NOC, or was it right to think about the knowledge and activities specific to the field? Is it adequate or possible to adjust?"

Sending the CSE really took some weight off my shoulder, as I was speculating too much if there was something more I could have done...

Thanks one more time for the responses I got. Very helpful.

Maxgord

Star Member
May 31, 2018
@Maxgord , appretiate the very detailed response and the positiveness.
I think it makes sense overall... although i did raise two CSEs...

One with a new reference letter with the correction of date (TYPO).
The other with a query about NOC. What I wrote was basically "would it be more appropriate to use a more generic NOC, or was it right to think about the knowledge and activities specific to the field? Is it adequate or possible to adjust?"

Sending the CSE really took some weight off my shoulder, as I was speculating too much if there was something more I could have done...

Thanks one more time for the responses I got. Very helpful.
Yup, all right. Correcting the typo may appear crucial, it's very important it was spotted.

A delicate query about NOC is fine also. (Why not? No harm) You just showed you want to do everything right.

What province are you gonna settle in?
(I'm already doing my networking prior to arrival):D

Reactions: dodogirl

Maxgord

Star Member
May 31, 2018
Congrats everybody!;)

19th of Dec is actually getting a great day for AOR September Thread!
Looks like CIC gave some presents (PPRs ) for Christmas:

AOR Sep 7 Romania FSW
AOR Sep 10 Australia FSW
AOR Sep 26 Czechia FSW

The late of September is also in the game now!
Mine is on 27th, it's getting interesting.

arvintht

Sep 21, 2018
Anyone in this group with AORs after September 20 and FSW-O applying from India have moved to IP2 recently?
I could see that some ppl with AORs in October have moved to IP2

Ashtush

Apr 7, 2017

Let me explain:

Just an example:

CURRENT POSITION 5

Mate ! U really took time to explain ! Ur effort is much appreciated

ravleen

May 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23 September 2018
Med's Done....
23 October 2018
Anyone in this group with AORs after September 20 and FSW-O applying from India have moved to IP2 recently?
I could see that some ppl with AORs in October have moved to IP2
Did you move to IP2?
Have you paid RPRF upfront?
Mine is 23 September but no update after medical passed...not even asked for RPRF...it's getting scarier for me now

arvintht

Sep 21, 2018

Let me explain:

Just an example:

CURRENT POSITION 5

Well done Sir!! You definitely deserve a big job at CIC!!!

Reactions: Maxgord

arvintht

Sep 21, 2018
Did you move to IP2?
Have you paid RPRF upfront?
Mine is 23 September but no update after medical passed...not even asked for RPRF...it's getting scarier for me now
No. Still stuck at Ip1. I paid the RPRF upfront
Did you call CIC and find out?

dkjee2915

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Congrats everybody!;)

19th of Dec is actually getting a great day for AOR September Thread!
Looks like CIC gave some presents (PPRs ) for Christmas:

AOR Sep 7 Romania FSW
AOR Sep 10 Australia FSW
AOR Sep 26 Czechia FSW

The late of September is also in the game now!
Mine is on 27th, it's getting interesting.
I guess applications from the US have been dropped into an abyss!!

Reactions: arte

ravleen

May 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23 September 2018
Med's Done....
23 October 2018
No. Still stuck at Ip1. I paid the RPRF upfront
Did you call CIC and find out?
Yeah I called them last week...the lady didn't tell anything...she didn't even tell me my visa office....her answer was your application is within the processing time...for any update, keep checking your account... that's it

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017

Let me explain:

Just an example:

CURRENT POSITION 5

Thank you .. it was good to read the explaination.For point 3 Education : you mentioned 100%. One query here - I have a chemical degree started work in Chemical for few years and then moved to IT from last 10 years. Hence i have applied under NOC which is related to IT and matches my last 7-8 years of IT experience. Do they can reject on this basis that my base qualification is different then mentioned in requirements: it says a computer degree. I understood earlier that we get ECA , they will see the degree not the stream to give you qualifying points. Can you please suggest based on your research. Thank you

arvintht

Sep 21, 2018
Yeah I called them last week...the lady didn't tell anything...she didn't even tell me my visa office....her answer was your application is within the processing time...for any update, keep checking your account... that's it
Oh..after the progress bar was launched, I guess the agents are reluctant to share info..other way is to order GCMS and find out..