+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separated from wife but no divorce. CIC asked for divorce certificate. What should I do?

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
Ok.. Good to hear.. Happy that things went well for you..

My case is that I have filed a case before an year and it is still going on..

I have the court acknowledgement that the case has been filed.. In addition, I will prepare a separate affidavit.. These are the only documents I will have.. Hope CIC will be fine..
yeah, that'd work. It might just delay things a little but what else can you do really. All the best.

mathansri

Jan 28, 2018
Bangalore
yeah, that'd work. It might just delay things a little but what else can you do really. All the best.
John,

2 questions:

1) It's the same whether you have created the case in Canada or any other country. Right? I have filed my case in India.
2) When you say it will delay my application little bit, how long are we talking about? 1 or 2 months?

Many Thanks.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
John,

2 questions:

1) It's the same whether you have created the case in Canada or any other country. Right? I have filed my case in India.
2) When you say it will delay my application little bit, how long are we talking about? 1 or 2 months?

Many Thanks.
1. Yes. CIC treats everyone fairly. there are country specific concerns at times w.r.t security but family courts wouldn't likely be one of them.
2. No one can tell you anything about timeline other than the CIC. Each case has it's own intricacies. They do complete 80% of all cases within 6 months period and spousal separation during processing is fairly common.

mathansri

Jan 28, 2018
Bangalore
1. Yes. CIC treats everyone fairly. there are country specific concerns at times w.r.t security but family courts wouldn't likely be one of them.
2. No one can tell you anything about timeline other than the CIC. Each case has it's own intricacies. They do complete 80% of all cases within 6 months period and spousal separation during processing is fairly common.
Thanks John!

bkmsathi

Nov 19, 2017
H
Hey, yeah. I called the CIC and had a chat with them regarding the situation and they said it was fine; that they get quite a bit of cases like these. It just takes a little longer to process the applications but as long as you are transparent and honest about your situation and take adequate steps to demonstrate that you've done whatever you could have possibly done, they'll process your application. Fortunately, my divorce certificate came through within 2 months of filing as my spouse was in a hurry to be with the guy she cheated with, that worked in my favor w.r.t faster processing.
Hi,

I have got similar mail from CIC asking me divorce certificate although I have mentioned as "legally separated" in my application. I have already given them all the documents and the affidavit also. Not sure what else should I provide them for such email ?

Did anyone got the PPR after submitting the affidavit only ? Please help.

bkmsathi

Nov 19, 2017
Hi
Hi jonnclk22,

When you say affidavit is it something to do with an explanation from a family lawyer? What i have submitted aside from documents from the court, I also submitted an explanation letter coming from my family lawyer stating that there is no formal documents as for separation but only divorce. That is why i filed a divorce right away to support my claim.

Let’s hope for the best and if we can keep ourselves updated just to see whats going on that would be greatly appreciated. ☺

Thank you!
Hi,

Did you got your PPR ? How long it took for you after submitting the documents ? I dont have the divorce certificate as it's still in process. What should I do in this case.

Please help.

Yhan22

Dec 16, 2017
Hey, yeah. I called the CIC and had a chat with them regarding the situation and they said it was fine; that they get quite a bit of cases like these. It just takes a little longer to process the applications but as long as you are transparent and honest about your situation and take adequate steps to demonstrate that you've done whatever you could have possibly done, they'll process your application. Fortunately, my divorce certificate came through within 2 months of filing as my spouse was in a hurry to be with the guy she cheated with, that worked in my favor w.r.t faster processing.
Hello,
I would just like to know if you include your spouse in your application before you get a divorce. I just recently got my divorce certificate and uploaded it immediately to cse webform to exclude my ex spouse in my application. Im just a bit worried right now because i included my ex spouse in my application under non-accompanying dependent and its been 13months now from the time they received my application and still waiting for my medical request.

Yhan22

Dec 16, 2017
Hi

Hi,

Did you got your PPR ? How long it took for you after submitting the documents ? I dont have the divorce certificate as it's still in process. What should I do in this case.

Please help.
Hi,
In my case before i got my divorce certificate i just provided them the affidavit of divorce that it is on process and whatever documents that i have during that time such as the affidavit of service and the judgment letter from the court i immediately uploaded it to case specific webform to update cic regarding the status. So all you have to do right now is just update them from time to time till you got your divorce certificate. Hope that helps.

bkmsathi

Nov 19, 2017
Hi,
In my case before i got my divorce certificate i just provided them the affidavit of divorce that it is on process and whatever documents that i have during that time such as the affidavit of service and the judgment letter from the court i immediately uploaded it to case specific webform to update cic regarding the status. So all you have to do right now is just update them from time to time till you got your divorce certificate. Hope that helps.
I have given them all the documents but I don’t have the divorce certificate. Will they issue me Ppr or I have to wait till I get my divorce certificate from the court? Please suggest.

Yhan22

Dec 16, 2017
I have given them all the documents but I don’t have the divorce certificate. Will they issue me Ppr or I have to wait till I get my divorce certificate from the court? Please suggest.
As far as i know cic will wait for your divorve certificate.

bkmsathi

Nov 19, 2017
As far as i know cic will wait for your divorve certificate.
My divorce is pending in Indian court and it takes more than a year to get it sorted and get the divorce certificate. Will cic wait for one year to give me ppr? My medicals will expire then if it takes more than one year.

mathansri

Jan 28, 2018
Bangalore
My divorce is pending in Indian court and it takes more than a year to get it sorted and get the divorce certificate. Will cic wait for one year to give me ppr? My medicals will expire then if it takes more than one year.
From what I hear, CIC handles applications on case by case basis. So, we can't say for sure.

But as far as I tried to gather information on Legal separation (as I am also in the same condition), some said Court acknowledgement and Affidavit is enough and some have experienced CIC asking them for Divorce decree.

What are the documents that you had already submitted? And what is your CRS score?

bkmsathi

Nov 19, 2017
I did submit the same documents but as I haven’t got my divorce decree so didn’t submit it. In india, the process is longer than usual and I am bit worried that I won’t be able to submit the divorce decree till the case gets resolved.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
Hi

Hi,

Please help.
Yes, I got my PPR 20 days ago. It took around 4 months from the AOR. Please refer to other posts on this topic.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
I did submit the same documents but as I haven’t got my divorce decree so didn’t submit it. In india, the process is longer than usual and I am bit worried that I won’t be able to submit the divorce decree till the case gets resolved.
Doesn't matter. Just submit a affidavit describing your situation in detail.