+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Emplyed ( Editor and Cultural Activities)

Samah Mostafa

Oct 17, 2013
I am an Editor for 2 international Journal 2 years ago ,Writer and running international Conferences here in Canada through doing partnership in Centre , I have experience in a lot of culture activities in my country and abroad especially in U.S.A and I have been worked as a lecturer in the University for 15 years , Through this period I wrote some books and researches and participate in some projects in Canada, I need to apply as self employed for all the success I have gained here in Canada 8 months ago as an Editor and conference planner, I am wondering if I qualify for that program , please guide me , they didn't clarify how can I prove that I have outstanding contribution to culture activities , I am thinking to submit my books's Cover , The page of the Journal website and some certificates as participator in some international Events , is it right ?

ubaid0092

Nov 20, 2013
Samah Mostafa said:
I am an Editor for 2 international Journal 2 years ago ,Writer and running international Conferences here in Canada through doing partnership in Centre , I have experience in a lot of culture activities in my country and abroad especially in U.S.A and I have been worked as a lecturer in the University for 15 years , Through this period I wrote some books and researches and participate in some projects in Canada, I need to apply as self employed for all the success I have gained here in Canada 8 months ago as an Editor and conference planner, I am wondering if I qualify for that program , please guide me , they didn't clarify how can I prove that I have outstanding contribution to culture activities , I am thinking to submit my books's Cover , The page of the Journal website and some certificates as participator in some international Events , is it right ?
YES YOU CAN APPLY WHERE FROM YOU

bussimmig

Mar 11, 2014
Samah Mostafa said:
1. I have part-time experience in writing, reviewing and editing scientific articles, manuscripts, reports for international clients, for almost 10 years now.
2. I have been a full time PhD academic scientist internationally for almost 20 years.
3. I have experience in running a medical communications (writing, reviewing and editing medical research articles, theses and manuscripts) agency for 2 years in UK, during the last 5 years as well.

I want to apply for the self employed category as writer/author or editor from inside Canada. Do I qualify? How will I prove my work experience as writer or editor because do not have a specific contract or other proof that I worked as author or editor.
Does one need any formal training in writing or editing to qualify?

tiffers787

Mar 11, 2014
I don't know about the processing times within Canada, but I applied in the self employed category outside of Canada in May 2013 and I received my acceptance letter in February 2014, so for me it was about 9 months. :) It depends though, because a friend who applied in the same category received his acceptance letter about 12 months.

bussimmig

Mar 11, 2014
tiffers787 said:
I don't know about the processing times within Canada, but I applied in the self employed category outside of Canada in May 2013 and I received my acceptance letter in February 2014, so for me it was about 9 months. :) It depends though, because a friend who applied in the same category received his acceptance letter about 12 months.
hi tiffers

which subcategory did you apply in?

Linda2004

May 15, 2013
tiffers787 said:
Hi tiffers

Which visa office processed your application? It surprised me that your case was approved so soon. The processing time in HongKong office is 70 months now!!

Looking forward to your reply and many thanks!

tiffers787

Mar 11, 2014
Hi! I don't recall there being any sub-category to the self employed business application, at least at the time I applied.

I was also very surprised at how fast it went through! I was prepared to wait for years :) I believe at the time I applied (May 2013) all self employment business category applications were being processed at the Case Processing Centre in the Ottawa office, rather than the individual country offices .

I don't know if that's still the case or not, but all of my interactions with sending supplementary information was also through this Ottawa office. The basic steps in the process for me were:

- Sent application 5/13
- They requested additional proof of education, work history, work samples, etc. (I sent a huge stack of paperwork, probably 400 sheets thick!) 10/13
- They requested medical exam results, an updated background check, and processing fee payment 11/13
- Received the acceptance letter 2/14

Hope this helps!

Samah Mostafa

Oct 17, 2013
I am so thankful for you all and really apologize for delaying my responding , Actually I was busy in my conference here in Canada 3 days ago and it was so successful
I am so exciting about this category, However I can't prove that I earned money from my work as author and writer in my country , Could you advice me what are the required documents I should to submit to CIC , I translate my Books Cover , some researches in international Journal , Experience Certificate from the international Journal which I have been worked 2 years ago, and The profit from my business in Canada as Director of Conference Department and an editor in chief for their Journal in the last year.
I am wondering if they will consider this year in Canada as an experience because I am a partner here not self employment
Thank you again for the valuable discussion

apia_cn

Mar 16, 2014
tiffers787 said:
I was also very surprised at how fast it went through! I was prepared to wait for years :) I believe at the time I applied (May 2013) all self employment business category applications were being processed at the Case Processing Centre in the Ottawa office, rather than the individual country offices .

I don't know if that's still the case or not, but all of my interactions with sending supplementary information was also through this Ottawa office. The basic steps in the process for me were:
so after 2013 all application goes to Ottawa office..?

Samah Mostafa

Oct 17, 2013
is something wrong with Ottawa Office ? I will apply within Canada but I noticed that some people are frighten from Ottawa office I don't know why

tiffers787

Mar 11, 2014
I found the Ottawa office easy to work with. They were responsive to my questions and the turnaround times for processing each phase of the application were fast. One thing to note is that all of my notifications from them, except for the acceptance letter, were done by email - so be sure to enter an accurate email on the application form, and check that email account regularly :)

ubaid0092

Nov 20, 2013
tiffers787 said:
I found the Ottawa office easy to work with. They were responsive to my questions and the turnaround times for processing each phase of the application were fast. One thing to note is that all of my notifications from them, except for the acceptance letter, were done by email - so be sure to enter an accurate email on the application form, and check that email account regularly :)
#

please tell me what is funds requirement for cultural activity self employed ?

Linda2004

May 15, 2013
tiffers787 said:
Hi Tiffers

Thank you for sharing your information with us. Could you please let me know how can you apply through Ottawa office? Do you live in Canada now?

It is very lucky for you to be processed by Ottawa office. Because all other VO offices are really really slow, especially in Asia.

Congratulations again!