+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Emplyed ( Editor and Cultural Activities)

tiffers787

Mar 11, 2014
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the well-wishes! I checked the CIC website because it has been so long that I forgot the details of how I applied. It looks like currently the Ottawa office only processes PR apps for those inside Canada, or in the U.S. As I applied from the U.S. this office was the one I used for my application, since the US office in Buffalo, NY closed the year prior. However, I am not sure what the application process is for other countries. Sorry for any confusion!

ubaid0092

Nov 20, 2013
tiffers787 said:
Hi! I don't recall there being any sub-category to the self employed business application, at least at the time I applied.

I was also very surprised at how fast it went through! I was prepared to wait for years :) I believe at the time I applied (May 2013) all self employment business category applications were being processed at the Case Processing Centre in the Ottawa office, rather than the individual country offices .

I don't know if that's still the case or not, but all of my interactions with sending supplementary information was also through this Ottawa office. The basic steps in the process for me were:

- Sent application 5/13
- They requested additional proof of education, work history, work samples, etc. (I sent a huge stack of paperwork, probably 400 sheets thick!) 10/13
please tell what type of documents you provide for funds proof ?
- They requested medical exam results, an updated background check, and processing fee payment 11/13
- Received the acceptance letter 2/14

Hope this helps!

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Dear all,

Self employed category exist?? the suspended one is enterpanur??

What Professions are Considered under the cultural activities?? I am a Designer/Artist so can I be consider under this category?? Do one has to show his her own business for the past 2 years??

Any Idea how much net worth required? I did find for enterpanur stream and investor stream but not for this!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nadeem_jee said:
Dear all,

Self employed category exist?? the suspended one is enterpanur??

What Professions are Considered under the cultural activities?? I am a Designer/Artist so can I be consider under this category?? Do one has to show his her own business for the past 2 years??

Any Idea how much net worth required? I did find for enterpanur stream and investor stream but not for this!!!
All of the information you're looking for can be found on the CIC web site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/index.asp

Elthalion

Aug 19, 2014
I'm not sure if anybody had asked this, but can anybody tell me what exactly do they mean by "cultural activities"?

I'm an owner of a daycare center as well as an indie game development startup. Are my business activities considered "cultural" activities?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Elthalion said:
I'm not sure if anybody had asked this, but can anybody tell me what exactly do they mean by "cultural activities"?

I'm an owner of a daycare center as well as an indie game development startup. Are my business activities considered "cultural" activities?
See the manual.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op08-eng.pdf

The activities you've mentioned don't qualify.

Elthalion

Aug 19, 2014
scylla said:
See the manual.

The activities you've mentioned don't qualify.
Thanks Scylla, for the document. I've read through and i think i may qualify for being an entrepreneur with business experience (more than 5 years) of a qualifying business. I seem to also qualify as a self employed electronic games designer in the 5241 unit group as defined by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC).

The document, however, did not specify what kind of documents are required by the applying self employed person. Do they need evidence of paychecks or would the financial assets/cashflow of the self employed person be sufficient as evidence that he/she would be able to provide for him/herself in Canada for the long term?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Elthalion said:
Thanks Scylla, for the document. I've read through and i think i may qualify for being an entrepreneur with business experience (more than 5 years) of a qualifying business. I seem to also qualify as a self employed electronic games designer in the 5241 unit group as defined by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC).

The document, however, did not specify what kind of documents are required by the applying self employed person. Do they need evidence of paychecks or would the financial assets/cashflow of the self employed person be sufficient as evidence that he/she would be able to provide for him/herself in Canada for the long term?
The entrepreneur stream stopped accepting applications a while ago. You can, however, check out the start up visa instead (details on the CIC web site).

Yes - they will certainly need to see evidence of paychecks or contract payments or some other regular form of payment to prove you were actively self-employed for the period you claim. Assets / cash flow don't prove this since that money could have come from anywhere. You'll need to prove that you actually have the experience you say you have and were paid for this work.

ubaid0092

Nov 20, 2013
tiffers787 said:
I don't know about the processing times within Canada, but I applied in the self employed category outside of Canada in May 2013 and I received my acceptance letter in February 2014, so for me it was about 9 months. :) It depends though, because a friend who applied in the same category received his acceptance letter about 12 months.
s
Please dear you can te me in which profession you got acceptence letter in self employed
You can share me ur email where from you, i want s
Apply same catagory as a photographer

happydolphins

Sep 11, 2014
Hello,

I am the writer of 2 books and the translator of 3 other books from English to my native language also I have a vocational school document for green house farming and the require governmental permit to establish a greenhouse that shows I am a farmer in the past 8 years.

Can I apply under these 2 categories ( as writer , Translator, and as a farmer) at the same time?

Thanks

sgauswam

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
No
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th July l 2014
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
23rd July 2014
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
No
Med's Done....
No
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
No
VISA ISSUED...
No
LANDED..........
No
Re: Self Emplyed

Hi all,
I'm from India applied for CSQ under entrepreneur class in July 2014, AOR Received in August 2014. Now what happened next. And in fee receipt BIQ - HONGKONG what does it mean.

nasar_peace

Star Member
May 13, 2014
I'm from Pakistan; my short story Donkey-Man was selected among the Notable Online Short Stories of 2003 in the Story South Million Writers Award. You can see the ink below:
http://www.gowanusbooks.com/donkey-man.htm
Amazon.com has recently published my book, UNHEARD SHORT STORIES; LINK IS GIVEN BELOW:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZ2S3JA/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_hBOZub186QM32
Now I want to immigrate to Canada as internationally published author. I don't have earning proof by writing but I've enough publications to prove that I've been recognized internationally. My question is: Am I eligible to apply for immigration under he cultural stream? I