+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employed video editor or photo editor? Which one do I qualify for?

Mirka2020

Oct 8, 2014
Hi everyone,

I would like to apply in the near future to immigrate to Canada under self employed programme but I am slightly confused which occupation/job title to choose. I am currently self employed freelancer, I specialize in video editing, motion graphics but I also do and I am quite good at photo editing/retouching and web design. My qualifications are Access to Higher Education Diploma (Media) where I learned how to retouch photographs with Photoshop and Bachelor of Arts degree in Television Production and Screen Media where I learned how to edit videos and create motion graphics. I have learned Web design myself so therefore have no qualification for that.

Here comes my question- should I apply under 5221 category- Photographers as a retoucher - photography even though I don't have a degree from photography, only studied Photoshop module in Access to HE Diploma or should I apply under 5131 Producers, Directors, Choreographers and Related Occupations category as a film editor although I don't edit films, only projects on small scale, usually 3-4 minutes long videos, commercials etc. Or is there some other category I might be missing? Thank you everyone in advance for your help ;)

Nellaquantise

Jan 15, 2018
Spain
NOC Code......
Hey, since it's been a while since you posted this I was wondering which one did you go for at the end? I'm in a similar position.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
IMO, you should ensure that your 2 years+ experience is fully reflected in the listed job duties of the major NOC claimed in your application.
If you have a secondary NOC, you may explain it in the 'business plan'.
And, make sure that every claimed experience is backed up with evidence.