+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
GCMS notes include all the applicant's personal information (DOB, passport numbers etc), processing information and officer's notes of evaluation pertaining to an application, so it should be seen as a confidential document.

To obtain your GCMS notes, you will be making an 'Access to Information and Privacy' request:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=463&top=1
https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html

However, a person has to be inside Canada to make such request. You can ask a friend/ relative to do so on your behalf. Alternatively, there are a number of private organizations providing such agency service for people who are outside Canada and want to make such requests. You can do a Google search, but try to use a provider you are the most comfortable with.

GCMS notes can be applied from within India.. I have applied twice and got reply..
Caips Notes India. Com <caipsnotesindia@gmail.com>

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Hi, everybody,
Cohen and Law ask for $500 for processing my GCMS note from Canada. Do you not think the amount is more for it. Can I have someone else who does it a bit cheaper? Moreover, their agent said we do not process appeal cases, we can only order GCMS notes and will refer you to another lawyer for the appeal. Please advice. Thanks

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Hi, everybody,
Cohen and Law ask for $500 for processing my GCMS note from Canada. Do you not think the amount is more for it. Can I have someone else who does it a bit cheaper? Moreover, their agent said we do not process appeal cases, we can only order GCMS notes and will refer you to another lawyer for the appeal. Please advice. Thanks
I usually get my GCMS notes through www.getgcms.com for 1000 Indian Rupees (approx 16 Canadian Dollars)

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
I usually get my GCMS notes through www.getgcms.com for 1000 Indian Rupees (approx 16 Canadian Dollars)
Thank you so much for sharing the link. Would you let me know how can I apply for an appeal after ordering the GCMS? I wonder if I could accurately interpret the GCMS noted or need to consult a lawyer/firm for it.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Thank you so much for sharing the link. Would you let me know how can I apply for an appeal after ordering the GCMS? I wonder if I could accurately interpret the GCMS noted or need to consult a lawyer/firm for it.
Should I apply for e-GCMS that costs $20 or GCMS+ that costs $55? Moreover, would you advise me to apply it myself and apply for appeal at a later stage after analysing the GCMS notes? Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is a Judicial Review. Your application will be assessed based on whether the VO didn’t follow the rule of law/legislation. So figure out what rule of law, the VO didn’t follow or erred in your refusal. You need to decide whether you need a lawyer or not. Most people get lawyers for a JR. Lawyer fees for a JR will be around $5-10k, maybe more. If your decision is successful, it doesn’t mean you get PR. Your application is then referred back to IRCC to be reviewed by another VO. It can be refused again.

https://www.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/pages/representing-yourself/practice-guides/how-to-file-an-application-for-leave-and-for-judicial-review-immigration

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
It is a Judicial Review. Your application will be assessed based on whether the VO didn’t follow the rule of law/legislation. So figure out what rule of law, the VO didn’t follow or erred in your refusal. You need to decide whether you need a lawyer or not. Most people get lawyers for a JR. Lawyer fees for a JR will be around $5-10k, maybe more. If your decision is successful, it doesn’t mean you get PR. Your application is then referred back to IRCC to be reviewed by another VO. It can be refused again.

https://www.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/pages/representing-yourself/practice-guides/how-to-file-an-application-for-leave-and-for-judicial-review-immigration
Thank you so much for your input. Can I apply myself for the Judicial Review after getting the GCMS notes or need to have a lawyer? Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for your input. Can I apply myself for the Judicial Review after getting the GCMS notes or need to have a lawyer? Thanks
You can do it yourself if you understand the rules of law and what procedure the VO didn’t follow. If it goes to trial then you would need to be in Canada to represent yourself if you don’t have a lawyer.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
You can do it yourself if you understand the rules of law and what procedure the VO didn’t follow. If it goes to trial then you would need to be in Canada to represent yourself if you don’t have a lawyer.
Thank you very much for the information. Let me order the GCMS note first, then I think If I see any chances of winning the case I'll need to hire a lawyer. Am I right? Or, probably I could get started with it myself. But, I am not sure if goes for trial then how could I deal with it in that case!

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Thank you very much for the information. Let me order the GCMS note first, then I think If I see any chances of winning the case I'll need to hire a lawyer. Am I right? Or, probably I could get started with it myself. But, I am not sure if goes for trial then how could I deal with it in that case!
If you aren't certain about the procedure and legal principles, better seek legal advice.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Thanks to all friends for extending their helping hand in terms of sharing valuable information. May I have information about a lawyer for a consultation regarding the Judicial Review? It would be so nice if you know someone who charges an affordable fee and could handle such cases well.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada