+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Hi dear friends
Unfortunately I got my refusal letter today
The reason was I didn’t meet the minimum work experience which is not true because I had more than 5 years of work experience and I’ve documented almost 100 of my project contracts
I also had the maximum points based on point calculation system so it was really disappointing
Wish you guys the best!

I am sorry to hear about it! When did you make your application? I hope they must have kept you waiting for a long time as the same, with all of us.
They requested me to provide evidence that I have experience in the same field (Writers and Authors) and can contribute to Canada back in April 2021. I obtained relevant experienced letters from the organizations I had worked with and sent them all. They also raised the point that according to an act... I was not able to meet the requirement, but anyway I provided the evidence, particularly in cultural domains. I am impatiently waiting since then and no response yet! I think if someone does not meet the eligibility requirements they should refuse his application straightaway within few months instead of putting it on file for years, and finally.... nonsense.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Good evening everyone,
I would like to request your expert opinions as I have applied to the permanent Canadian immigration program under the Writers and Authors category on 28 Oct 2019, but still waiting for the decision to come. The bar line on my online portal shows 95% completed, but they might extend the time the way things seems to me.
Anyway, I have an available research position from a university in the US, and they are in touch with me to process my documents and apply for the visa. I was delaying it for the reason that in the meanwhile, I will probably receive a decision for Canadian Immigration, but desolate so far. Right now, if I do not avail this opportunity in the US, and in case, get a rejection from the CIS or delayed decision, I will lose everything.
Could anyone have an idea that if I receive the US J1 visa for professors and research scholars how long is the validity period? In other words, after I receive the visa on my passport how long does it take to expire before I leave my home country or visa issuing country?
Please, share your suggestions and feedback.
Kindest regards

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Good evening everyone,
I would like to request your expert opinions as I have applied to the permanent Canadian immigration program under the Writers and Authors category on 28 Oct 2019, but still waiting for the decision to come. The bar line on my online portal shows 95% completed, but they might extend the time the way things seems to me.
Anyway, I have an available research position from a university in the US, and they are in touch with me to process my documents and apply for the visa. I was delaying it for the reason that in the meanwhile, I will probably receive a decision for Canadian Immigration, but desolate so far. Right now, if I do not avail this opportunity in the US, and in case, get a rejection from the CIS or delayed decision, I will lose everything.
Could anyone have an idea that if I receive the US J1 visa for professors and research scholars how long is the validity period? In other words, after I receive the visa on my passport how long does it take to expire before I leave my home country or visa issuing country?
Please, share your suggestions and feedback.
Kindest regards
This forum is for Canadian visa application discussions... but I tried to google and found this:
https://www.globalinternships.com/post/j-1-visa-duration

Professors and Research Scholars: 5 Years
People who travel to the U.S. to do academic work or research have advanced degrees. Depending on the position they fill upon arrival, they may stay in the country for up to five years. Research often takes years to complete, and successful professors need time to build relationships with faculty and students.​
I'm not sure if you're asking how long before you must land in Canada after receiving a CoPR?

Well, CoPR usually expires with your medical exam, which is, again, usually, 1 year after medical pass.
However, recently one folk here got their medical automatically extended, and their CoPR is good for another 8 months from the day they received a passport request. Yet I don't think that all visa offices do the same, so it probably depends.

May I ask about your timeline? biometrics... medical... additional document requests... etc?

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Does anyone know how much time it takes to receive Passport Request after medicals are cleared? Those of you on this forum who have reached/crossed this stage, please advise. Thank you.

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
The processing timeline for this category is now 41 months. Just sit back and think for a second - 41 months! That's close to four years of your life just chasing a fucking application. For a country whose socio-economic future depends so much on immigration (and self-admittedly so), Canada's immigration policies, procedures and timelines are ridiculously and criminally inefficient. They should be ashamed to even call themselves a first world country. They have absolutely no clue what's going on with their applicants, their aspirations and their lives.#ImmigrationMatters? My foot. I am having serious doubts about whether it is even worthwhile to raise my children in a country whose government is full of such incorrigible idiots.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
They just refused my application after 30 months. Surprisingly, a similar one of my colleagues had approved, but they refused my case. I think they do not have a well-ordered criterion but depends on the mood of the Immigration Officer. Moreover, if they refuse a case they should make it in the first few months instead of asking for biometrics, many documents and other stupid things.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
They just refused my application after 30 months. Surprisingly, a similar one of my colleagues had approved, but they refused my case. I think they do not have a well-ordered criterion but depends on the mood of the Immigration Officer. Moreover, if they refuse a case they should make it in the first few months instead of asking for biometrics, many documents and other stupid things.
Sorry to hear that. What did the letter say?

• Sad
Reactions: Afzal Khan

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sorry to hear that. What did the letter say?
The reason they stated is 'you do not meet the eligibility' despite the fact, I have published two books and a number of research papers in national and international reputed academic journals. I also provided them with the experience letters regarding the cultural affiliations and services I have been working in different organizations.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
The reason they stated is 'you do not meet the eligibility' despite the fact, I have published two books and a number of research papers in national and international reputed academic journals. I also provided them with the experience letters regarding the cultural affiliations and services I have been working in different organizations.
thank you for sharing. may I ask if your published works contribute to your major income? and where are you based?

Last edited:

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
thank you for sharing. may I ask if your published works contribute to your major income? and where are you based?
Not so much, but I provided them imminent evidence of my affiliation with various organizations in the capacity of author and writer for income purposes that have a strong relationship.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Could you guide me on how to proceed with it? Please share the link as well?
GCMS notes include all the applicant's personal information (DOB, passport numbers etc), processing information and officer's notes of evaluation pertaining to an application, so it should be seen as a confidential document.

To obtain your GCMS notes, you will be making an 'Access to Information and Privacy' request:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=463&top=1
https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html

However, a person has to be inside Canada to make such request. You can ask a friend/ relative to do so on your behalf. Alternatively, there are a number of private organizations providing such agency service for people who are outside Canada and want to make such requests. You can do a Google search, but try to use a provider you are the most comfortable with.