+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
I am totally unaware of my application after 28 months. Though, I provided them with every bit of information whenever they requested. At least, they should have informed me about the eligibility's result so far, but nothing has happened since they received my application.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
I think there is no standard time policy they adhere to, it totally depends on their internal policy to decide a case. As I saw some cases just decided within a very short span of time while the rest are pending over years.

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I had applied in April 2019. It's been a long, long wait. I have cleared my interviews in November 2020 and passed one round of medical exams (the results of which expired, thanks to the delay in processing time worldwide due to the pandemic). I have been instructed to do my medicals again, which I will. In my experience, the staff at IRCC are extremely overworked and there is a huge backlog of cases. There's a new Immigration minister in Canada now, and as far as I know, they have hired hundreds of temporary workers in embassies all around the world to address the issue of backlog. Things seem to be moving now, depending on which stage your application was in. Mine was in the absolute final stage just before the pandemic struck, and therefore now that things are opening up, I can see the movement. Everyone else will too. Also, please note that comparing one case to another might not give you a clear picture, because each application is unique in its own way. Each local visa office has their own set of advantages/constraints too. I have myself been guilty of being impatient in the past, so I understand the frustration. But things are looking up now, and will continue to do so. Hope everyone gets answers soon. Because if there is anything that's the worst after applying, it is the uncertainty. Stay strong, and good luck.

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
I had applied in April 2019. It's been a long, long wait. I have cleared my interviews in November 2020 and passed one round of medical exams (the results of which expired, thanks to the delay in processing time worldwide due to the pandemic). I have been instructed to do my medicals again, which I will. In my experience, the staff at IRCC are extremely overworked and there is a huge backlog of cases. There's a new Immigration minister in Canada now, and as far as I know, they have hired hundreds of temporary workers in embassies all around the world to address the issue of backlog. Things seem to be moving now, depending on which stage your application was in. Mine was in the absolute final stage just before the pandemic struck, and therefore now that things are opening up, I can see the movement. Everyone else will too. Also, please note that comparing one case to another might not give you a clear picture, because each application is unique in its own way. Each local visa office has their own set of advantages/constraints too. I have myself been guilty of being impatient in the past, so I understand the frustration. But things are looking up now, and will continue to do so. Hope everyone gets answers soon. Because if there is anything that's the worst after applying, it is the uncertainty. Stay strong, and good luck.
Thank you very much for your detailed response.

Reactions: Palamon

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I am happy to get some tips from you, in case, if they call me for the interview.
Gladly. The only advice that I have to offer is that you must find a justification - a reason, so to speak - as to WHY a country would offer you a new home. What is it that you would bring to this new country? What skills, what competencies? What do you have to offer? If you can find answers to these questions and can convince the interviewer that you have indeed some skills that the new country is going to benefit from, that would be very helpful in him or her approving your case. Of course, you need to do this professionally. Sell yourself, but don't oversell. The interviewer must understand that you have done a lot of research about the area of work that you would be taking up if and when you land in Canada. Because then you come across as someone who knows what s/he is doing, as someone who has a plan. Moving from one country to another is an important step in one's life, and the interviewer needs to be convinced that you have thought this through. That's all. All the best!

Afzal Khan

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Gladly. The only advice that I have to offer is that you must find a justification - a reason, so to speak - as to WHY a country would offer you a new home. What is it that you would bring to this new country? What skills, what competencies? What do you have to offer? If you can find answers to these questions and can convince the interviewer that you have indeed some skills that the new country is going to benefit from, that would be very helpful in him or her approving your case. Of course, you need to do this professionally. Sell yourself, but don't oversell. The interviewer must understand that you have done a lot of research about the area of work that you would be taking up if and when you land in Canada. Because then you come across as someone who knows what s/he is doing, as someone who has a plan. Moving from one country to another is an important step in one's life, and the interviewer needs to be convinced that you have thought this through. That's all. All the best!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas! I hope they will inform me ahead of time before the interview. However, I know two of my colleagues who immigrated before the pandemic broke out and they did not take the interview. They had applied through Authors and writers categories.

Hadis

Dec 22, 2019
Hi dear friends
Unfortunately I got my refusal letter today
The reason was I didn’t meet the minimum work experience which is not true because I had more than 5 years of work experience and I’ve documented almost 100 of my project contracts
I also had the maximum points based on point calculation system so it was really disappointing
Wish you guys the best!

cheetos13s

Star Member
Nov 2, 2020
Hi dear friends
Unfortunately I got my refusal letter today
The reason was I didn’t meet the minimum work experience which is not true because I had more than 5 years of work experience and I’ve documented almost 100 of my project contracts
I also had the maximum points based on point calculation system so it was really disappointing
Wish you guys the best!
I'm so sorry for you brother, please don't give up. I heard that you can dispute the decision If you think that your case Is strong enough