+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
I'm in the midst of filling out the imm 0008 form. When I came to applicant's name, my name was automatically printed based on what I filled in for family name and middle name earlier on. But it didn't come out as my full name, but only my family name and the first initial of middle name followed by a full stop. Couldn't type to change it. Should I leave it at that?

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
I'm in the midst of filling out the imm 0008 form. When I came to applicant's name, my name was automatically printed based on what I filled in for family name and middle name earlier on. But it didn't come out as my full name, but only my family name and the first initial of middle name followed by a full stop. Couldn't type to change it. Should I leave it at that?
Yes.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi. I've decided having not to get an ECA but as I'm filling the highest education part, I'm not sure which I should choose. My professional qualification is equivalent to a postgraduate, but as it's not academic in nature, not sure if I can choose the "postgraduate, no degree" option, or should I go for non-university certificate/diploma?

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
But non university diploma is described as "training in a profession that requires formal education, but not at university level", so I'm not too comfortable with that either. Would appreciate any advice.

Hwcmcs

May 23, 2018
But non university diploma is described as "training in a profession that requires formal education, but not at university level", so I'm not too comfortable with that either. Would appreciate any advice.
Do you have other degrees? I learnt from the previous post your self-employed profession could be different than your graduate degree. As long as you can provide some evidence that you are earning through self-employed and you are successful in the area, as you mentioned you are a piano teacher.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
I'm afraid the only qualifications I have are all music professional ones. And my lessons were conducted as individual lessons, cos it's a piano performance exam. But I would say, to get from piano grade 1 to the level that I'm at, it would normally take 14-15 years in all, depending on student's ability, as there's no fixed duration. It's not a course that has a duration, you just go from grade to grade when you're ready. So I'm really at a loss. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Again, thanks in advance for your time and advice, cos I actually just finished express entry application for my 25 year old son, he's going in as auditor, but still waiting for the process. Since applying for parents and grandparents visa is so difficult, I thought I'll just try to apply in my own right to make things easier.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
I'm afraid the only qualifications I have are all music professional ones. And my lessons were conducted as individual lessons, cos it's a piano performance exam. But I would say, to get from piano grade 1 to the level that I'm at, it would normally take 14-15 years in all, depending on student's ability, as there's no fixed duration. It's not a course that has a duration, you just go from grade to grade when you're ready. So I'm really at a loss. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks
How about secondary/ post-secondary studies?

"Points are awarded for earned educational credentials as well as the number of years of full-time studies or full-time equivalent studies. To be awarded points, you must meet both stated criteria."

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
I am thinking (guessing, really) if the awarding organization of your professional diploma has clearly stated that it is equivalent to, say, a bachelor's or master's degree, you may still choose that option on the generic application form, and provide supporting documents along with your application...?
Have you ever considered seeking professional advice from an agent or a lawyer more experienced in handling this?

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Actually I was also thinking along the line of putting in the awarding body's statement of equivalency. I suppose that's the best I can do. Going in with a lot of doubts, but had some bad experiences with consultants. They were so positive and optimistic to get started with the application, obviously with the initial payment, without really going through all the inadequacies in my documents.